Reload this Page >

Moving from Aus to England- posting/shipping boxes help

Moving from Aus to England- posting/shipping boxes help

Old Mar 11th 2018, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Auswifey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from Aus to England- posting/shipping boxes help

Hi all,

Hoping some fellow Aussies can help, I’m looking at posting some boxes of stuff like toys, clothes, books to England prior to our move over. Just the usual medium sized moving house packing box I’m thinking.
Do you have any recommendations on who to use?
Aus post, pack and send, couriers?

Thanks!!
Old Mar 14th 2018, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Aus to England- posting/shipping boxes help

On the face of it, unless it's urgent, I wouldn't bother. Just ship them over with your other stuff in the container, otherwise you'll be paying a substantial amount.

I expect "Ozzy Post" or DHL will give you an idea of how much a typical box will cost to send over if you want to check.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MonsterP
On the face of it, unless it's urgent, I wouldn't bother. Just ship them over with your other stuff in the container, otherwise you'll be paying a substantial amount.

I expect "Ozzy Post" or DHL will give you an idea of how much a typical box will cost to send over if you want to check.
Cheers mate. We’re not using a container as were selling up here and just planning to lug over a few suitcases on our flight over. I was just thinking with my children’s toys and bits maybe it would be cheaper to send over in boxes rather then paying for additional suitcases as the airlines charge a fortune.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely cheaper than paying airline excess baggage. Declare your goods as personal effects, since you're moving back. You'll need to complete a customs declaration, I think online now, which has replaced the old C3 form.
Your courier will clarify. If you've got quite a lot of boxes, then you can cross-check shipping with a freight forwarder, either by air or sea.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 10:10 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auswifey
Cheers mate. We’re not using a container as were selling up here and just planning to lug over a few suitcases on our flight over. I was just thinking with my children’s toys and bits maybe it would be cheaper to send over in boxes rather then paying for additional suitcases as the airlines charge a fortune.
I really stuffed my move up, so this post is probably more about how not to do it.

Like you, we offloaded all our furniture, white goods etc, mainly freebies to assorted nephews and nieces who were planning to set up house on their own.

Packed most of our personal 'bits and bobs' myself, just got a few fragile valuables professionally packaged. I really overdid the packaging, as our 'bits and bobs' finished up as 20 very lightweight removal cartons. Packing peanuts and bubble wrap takes up a lot of room!

With two days to go before flying out, I just bit the bullet and had the boxes sent air freight. Ahem, over $7,000

None of that hurt as much as seeing a Facebook post from one of my nephews, who was very excited to have moved out of home and into his own place. His dog looked very happy too, stretched out under the patio on my almost new and very expensive rug
Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MonsterP
Definitely cheaper than paying airline excess baggage. Declare your goods as personal effects, since you're moving back. You'll need to complete a customs declaration, I think online now, which has replaced the old C3 form.
Your courier will clarify. If you've got quite a lot of boxes, then you can cross-check shipping with a freight forwarder, either by air or sea.
Excellent advice MonsterP, thank you so much. I’ll certainly be looking into that now 😃 cheers!!!
Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I really stuffed my move up, so this post is probably more about how not to do it.

Like you, we offloaded all our furniture, white goods etc, mainly freebies to assorted nephews and nieces who were planning to set up house on their own.

Packed most of our personal 'bits and bobs' myself, just got a few fragile valuables professionally packaged. I really overdid the packaging, as our 'bits and bobs' finished up as 20 very lightweight removal cartons. Packing peanuts and bubble wrap takes up a lot of room!

With two days to go before flying out, I just bit the bullet and had the boxes sent air freight. Ahem, over $7,000

None of that hurt as much as seeing a Facebook post from one of my nephews, who was very excited to have moved out of home and into his own place. His dog looked very happy too, stretched out under the patio on my almost new and very expensive rug
Omg!! Lucky nephew m!
is this for your move over to then UK or your new move??
I hope you’re doing well!! 😬
I’m waiting for my visa now and hoping to be over soon...waiting patiently (sort of)!
Thanks for all your advice these last few months 🤞🏻👍🏻