Moving in 6 Weeks

Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

TheLonestarBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving in 6 Weeks

The countdown is on. I'm moving back to spend some time with family. Lived in Texas for 8.5 years. Came over to get married but divorced last year. Although I found a great job, and have awesome friends, I'm unsettled and want to clear my head. So I opted to move back, at least for a while.

I'm a dual national and plan on maintaining that so my options are kept open for the future.

My entire family live in England, I'm over here by myself (no relationship since my divorce worth sticking with, and no kids). So I'm in a good position to reconnect with family while I figure things out. If I ever move back to the States, or anywhere else for that matter, I am going to make sure I'm doing it for the right reasons.

I love America, and I love Britain. It's nothing to do with loving one more than the other, but for now I'm being pulled back to the Isles for some R&R. Maybe I'll stay forever, maybe I won't.

I'm a little apprehensive about the move, but more excited about starting a new chapter.

Countdown to August 30 is underway!
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving in 6 Weeks

Best of luck with your move and starting your new chapter!
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Good luck with your move, we came back after 17 years (arrived exactly a year ago today) and although it took a few months to really settle back in, we're so happy to be home. We also love America, but it just wasn't home and we weren't 100% settled.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks ElizabethK, that makes me feel better. I've come across a lot of people who think that it's about loving one country more than the other. not really the case in the slightest. I came to America because I married an American and he didn't want to live in the UK. After we divorced I had to question my reasons for staying. took me a while to work a few things out but I think at this point in my life I will be happier closer to family. Spending holidays etc .... alone is really starting to affect me. So, Britain it is ... at least for a while.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks lgabriel73!
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

JRuss87 is an unknown quantity at this point

All the best, you're in a great position having dual citizenship and loads of family back home, definitely gives you the opportunity to try things out and having the freedom of returning if you don't like it.

I'm in the same position as well, in the process of applying for my first British passport as my mom was a British citizenship so I can claim it by descent. I'm excited for what's ahead next year when I plan on moving over there
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Yes JRuss87 I am excited about it (mostly, have a few reservations). Generally though seeing as i'm in a great position it seems silly not to give it a try and see what opportunities I can find in the homeland. I'm a bit of a nomadic spirit so I may end up moving around a bit but I do want to spend time with family. I don't want to look back in a few years and regret not taking the opportunity.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TheLonestarBrit
Thanks ElizabethK, that makes me feel better. I've come across a lot of people who think that it's about loving one country more than the other. not really the case in the slightest. I came to America because I married an American and he didn't want to live in the UK. After we divorced I had to question my reasons for staying. took me a while to work a few things out but I think at this point in my life I will be happier closer to family. Spending holidays etc .... alone is really starting to affect me. So, Britain it is ... at least for a while.
Divorce is so soul destroying. I know how you are feeling at least coming home to your family should put you on the mend. Good luck. Where will you end up in the UK?

Regards
John
Old Jul 24th 2014, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by London1947
Divorce is so soul destroying. I know how you are feeling at least coming home to your family should put you on the mend. Good luck. Where will you end up in the UK?

Regards
John
Yes it is, even when it's something I chose to do. It was necessary but still hard. I've worked through most things, but the final healing is going to have to be done with my family.

I'll be living in Lavenham, Suffolk with my parents initially. Once I find a job and have some financial stability I will look into other arrangements