Birds of prey

Old Oct 7th 2012, 7:43 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Birds of prey

Being a huge animal lover one of the things we have really enjoyed since being back in England is the amount of wildlife and especially the birds of prey. Being very rural where we are certainly helps but I am amazed at how many falcons, hawks and kites there are around here. Kestrels, Peregrines, Red Kites and even Osprey. It is not uncommon to see up to 10 in a single day which is incredible as we would go weeks or months in Australia without seeing a bird of prey.
We also have otters in the rivers but we havent been fortunate enough to see one yet.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birds of prey

There's nothing quite like seeing wildlife in its natural habitat. From my front porch we have seen eagles, hawks, swallow tailed kites, ospreys, sandhill cranes and red cardinals abound. We've seen a family of otters in our lake stealing all our fish and we have a resident alligator. This one hasn't caused us any problems yet, but we've had two taken out because they kept chasing my fishing lure. I've actually had them on the hook twice.

Snakes of course abound, Here's a pic of one that wrapped itself around our birdbox after eating the chicks.

My personal favourite was from a cruise ship off the coast of Chile when literally 100's maybe even over a 1,000 dolphins came from all angles to swim along the side of the ship. It was surreal. I have a small video of it, taken from a crap camera, but in no way does it capture the scene.

Another surreal one was when we were fishing in Alaska and this appeared about 20 feet from our small boat.

I thought the flying foxes in Sydney were quite amazing too.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
There's nothing quite like seeing wildlife in its natural habitat. From my front porch we have seen eagles, hawks, swallow tailed kites, ospreys, sandhill cranes and red cardinals abound. We've seen a family of otters in our lake stealing all our fish and we have a resident alligator. This one hasn't caused us any problems yet, but we've had two taken out because they kept chasing my fishing lure. I've actually had them on the hook twice.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...r060408007.jpg

Snakes of course abound, Here's a pic of one that wrapped itself around our birdbox after eating the chicks.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...y/P1010112.jpg

My personal favourite was from a cruise ship off the coast of Chile when literally 100's maybe even over a 1,000 dolphins came from all angles to swim along the side of the ship. It was surreal. I have a small video of it, taken from a crap camera, but in no way does it capture the scene.

Another surreal one was when we were fishing in Alaska and this appeared about 20 feet from our small boat.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...3_100_0936.jpg

I thought the flying foxes in Sydney were quite amazing too.
Yeh Bud! Nice pics! make us feel quite at home, the snakes that is!

Ralleeeeee Rally round the West Indies!
Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

We get a good range of Birds of prey here.....our house overlooks the bay, mangroves and foreshore.

From my sitting room window we see: Sea Eagles, Ospreys, Whistling Kites, Brahiminy Kites, Letterwinged Kites, Peregrine Falcons, various Harriers and several smaller falcons.....all without having to leave my armchair

I call it Birdwatching with beer