More expensive ??

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all
Default Re: More expensive ??

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Los Angeles.

There seems little point arguing back and forth but I know the things I listed tend to be higher in the US.

Healthcare I have found to be mediocre in quality and often blocked by insurance company, again just my take on it.

Point being it is easy to identify 'rip-off's but they vary by country/area.

There are much cheaper areas of the US to live in than California, for me they would have lifestyle drawbacks like bible/gun/race stuff but if you can deal with that then savings can be made on property prices.
Hi I didn't think we were arguing. Just different points of view and if you live in LA i can quite understand where you are coming from.

John

Last edited by London1947; Jul 23rd 2014 at 3:23 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London1947
Hi I didn't think we were arguing. Just different points of view and if you live in LA i can quite understand where you are coming from.

John
Oh no, not arguing as such, I just meant like an academic 'argument'.

Cheers.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going off track a bit here, but I've been trying to compare some UK costs with those of Oz and not really getting far.

I've been to Liverpool (where Scouse and I are headed in a couple of years) enough times to know about food, clothing, taxi and public transport, entertainment, and even hairdressing prices and nail salons All those are cheaper than in Australia, some by only a little, some by a hell of a lot. I've heard all the jokes etc about Liverpool and I know that some people think it's the arse end of England, but I don't much care about other people's opinions, I love it

Where I'm having trouble is with:

trying to get at least a rough estimate/comparison of utility costs - I might have to give up on that one because we're going from the huge 4x2 detached house to a 2x2 flat.

Council tax - I've had some great advice on BE previously re sites I can find this out, trouble is our flat is off-plan and the bloody website thingy doesn't recognise the post code. Also, I don't know what 'band' it will be classed as. There seems to be a great deal of difference, cost wise, between the various bands.

The yearly maintenance/insurance fee doesn't seem too bad, around 1,300 pounds but I've read on here that these can rise steeply and the owners don't get much say in the matter?

I know that petrol is more expensive in the UK, but we don't plan to be doing a lot of driving, whereas in Oz you often have to drive to get anywhere, even if you just want a newspaper.

Interestingly (or not ), the personal tax-free income allowance calculates out at around the same.

There is a difference in the amount of tax you pay for income over the tax-free threshold, starting at 20% in the UK, compared with 15% in Oz. That's to cover the NHS though, and if you factor in paying around 2% of your salary in Oz as a Medicare levy, plus (in our case) around $5,000 per year in private health insurance - AND still having to pay (an often substantial) co-payment, then the NHS becomes a very good deal.

After writing all that - I think I'm just going to have to wait until we're living there to get realistic comparisons. Just hope I don't get too much of a shock
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:07 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm going off track a bit here, but I've been trying to compare some UK costs with those of Oz and not really getting far.

I've been to Liverpool (where Scouse and I are headed in a couple of years) enough times to know about food, clothing, taxi and public transport, entertainment, and even hairdressing prices and nail salons All those are cheaper than in Australia, some by only a little, some by a hell of a lot. I've heard all the jokes etc about Liverpool and I know that some people think it's the arse end of England, but I don't much care about other people's opinions, I love it

trying to get at least a rough estimate/comparison of utility costs - I might have to give up on that one because we're going from the huge 4x2 detached house to a 2x2 flat.

Council tax - I've had some great advice on BE previously re sites I can find this out, trouble is our flat is off-plan and the bloody website thingy doesn't recognise the post code. Also, I don't know what 'band' it will be classed as. There seems to be a great deal of difference, cost wise, between the various bands.

The yearly maintenance/insurance fee doesn't seem too bad, around 1,300 pounds but I've read on here that these can rise steeply and the owners don't get much say in the matter?

I know that petrol is more expensive in the UK, but we don't plan to be doing a lot of driving, whereas in Oz you often have to drive to get anywhere, even if you just want a newspaper.

Interestingly (or not ), the personal tax-free income allowance calculates out at around the same.

There is a difference in the amount of tax you pay for income over the tax-free threshold, starting at 20% in the UK, compared with 15% in Oz. That's to cover the NHS though, and if you factor in paying around 2% of your salary in Oz as a Medicare levy, plus (in our case) around $5,000 per year in private health insurance - AND still having to pay (an often substantial) co-payment, then the NHS becomes a very good deal.

After writing all that - I think I'm just going to have to wait until we're living there to get realistic comparisons. Just hope I don't get too much of a shock
Don't forget national insurance contributions if you are going to be working.

I would probably allow £200 month for gas and elec and another £40 for water. If you pick a mid band for council tax, you get somewhere between £1500 and £2000 for this year. Hope that helps
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:08 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I have inserted a couple of personal opinions (in red) below.

"Where I'm having trouble is with:

[I'd say in a small flat you'd pay about £100 pcm. for gas and elec. Flats take less energy to heat and if it is off-plan (i.e., new-build) it is likely to be more energy-efficient. My energy-inefficient ex-council 3-BR semi, in cold Scotland, uses £110 pcm for gas and elec.]

[As per my comment earlier in the thread, I think council tax is much less variable in the UK than (property tax) in the US. I get 25% single-person discount and for a 3-BR semi I think I pay £90 pcm

[Remember to also factor in National Insurance, which isn't cheap. It is essentially a quasi-income tax]"

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Don't forget national insurance contributions if you are going to be working.

I would probably allow £200 month for gas and elec and another £40 for water. If you pick a mid band for council tax, you get somewhere between £1500 and £2000 for this year. Hope that helps
It does help Sparkles, thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:21 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by dunroving
I have inserted a couple of personal opinions (in red) below.

"Where I'm having trouble is with:

[I'd say in a small flat you'd pay about £100 pcm. for gas and elec. Flats take less energy to heat and if it is off-plan (i.e., new-build) it is likely to be more energy-efficient. My energy-inefficient ex-council 3-BR semi, in cold Scotland, uses £110 pcm for gas and elec.]

[As per my comment earlier in the thread, I think council tax is much less variable in the UK than (property tax) in the US. I get 25% single-person discount and for a 3-BR semi I think I pay £90 pcm

[Remember to also factor in National Insurance, which isn't cheap. It is essentially a quasi-income tax]"
Thanks dunroving, that's great info.

Thank you also for holding your tongue re Liverpool
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:24 pm
Concierge

Forgot to say, Sparkles and Dunroving, we'll be retired. Scouse is 65 in a couple of months, I'm 56. Not sure if we pay NI in these circumstances?

Scouse will get a 25/30 basic state pension, he didn't move to Oz until he was 40.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 5:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to say, Sparkles and Dunroving, we'll be retired. Scouse is 65 in a couple of months, I'm 56. Not sure if we pay NI in these circumstances?

Scouse will get a 25/30 basic state pension, he didn't move to Oz until he was 40.
AFAIK, retirees don't pay NI -- in fact something reminds me that you don't pay NI in the year before your state retirement age, but I might have imagined this.

Of course, in the UK, retirees get additional benefits that cut down on the cost of living - bus passes, Wednesdays at B&Q (10% discount!), rail discount pass, etc.

In Scotland, it's even better. I will get a bus pass when I am 60 ...
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:04 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I believe it is hard to compare and I know that the US is much cheaper than Canada hypothetically but then we have almost free healthcare too. The items you mentioned like cars, tv's computer stuff etc is probably cheaper in USA (not Canada) but then you buy those items maybe once every 10 years! I think to do a good comparison, you must equate food, rent, council tax, transport, and entertainment to compare notes. A lot of Brits are moving back more when they are nearer retirement age so that must tell you something?
It tells me that they haven't paid into the (UK health) system for many years and are now going to go back and sponge off other tax payers in their retirement (just when their taxes are likely to be low and health needs likely to be high).
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:03 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
It tells me that they haven't paid into the (UK health) system for many years and are now going to go back and sponge off other tax payers in their retirement (just when their taxes are likely to be low and health needs likely to be high).
What choice do they have in the "sponging" arena, though? It is quite common for expats to want to return to their home country at or after retirement age ... People have done it for hundreds of years. There is not necessarily a financial motive. Obviously, prudent people try to figure out if they can afford to live in the country they are moving to, but beyond that they don't have a responsibility to avoid "sponging."
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
What choice do they have in the "sponging" arena, though? It is quite common for expats to want to return to their home country at or after retirement age ... People have done it for hundreds of years. There is not necessarily a financial motive. Obviously, prudent people try to figure out if they can afford to live in the country they are moving to, but beyond that they don't have a responsibility to avoid "sponging."
The only time I find it annoying is when people have left because of 'high taxes' and slagged off Britain while they've been away.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Cheshire East in a 12 year old 3BR detached house. Our monthly DD for gas/electric is £102. Last winter was relatively warm, so last month E.On refunded £184 for the previous 12 months, and wanted to reduce the monthly DD to £88. As this winter may be colder, we elected to keep it at the current level. Water varies somewhat; we use more in the summer because we water the various containers, hanging baskets etc.

We're in Band D for Council Tax, which is just over £1500/year, and for that we get FAR more services than we got in VA where we paid over $2200/year in property tax, and didn't even get trash pick-up.

DH & I are both retired and live comfortably on his miniscule UK State Pension and our US Social Security. Up to now, we haven't tapped into the IRAs.

£1300 for the annual charge for a new build flat may or may not be excessive. Some of the property management firms are totally corrupt, and have ways of overcharging to justify the fees - we know this from experience. As a leaseholder, you will have rights, and one of them is to view the accounts and make sure that the property is being managed properly. Go to the Annual General Meetings, and make sure that any questions you have about how your money is being spent are answered. You also will have the right to see how the charge is determined, and whether it is equitable and realistic.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 2:21 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Vadio
We're in Cheshire East in a 12 year old 3BR detached house. Our monthly DD for gas/electric is £102. Last winter was relatively warm, so last month E.On refunded £184 for the previous 12 months, and wanted to reduce the monthly DD to £88. As this winter may be colder, we elected to keep it at the current level. Water varies somewhat; we use more in the summer because we water the various containers, hanging baskets etc.

We're in Band D for Council Tax, which is just over £1500/year, and for that we get FAR more services than we got in VA where we paid over $2200/year in property tax, and didn't even get trash pick-up.

DH & I are both retired and live comfortably on his miniscule UK State Pension and our US Social Security. Up to now, we haven't tapped into the IRAs.

£1300 for the annual charge for a new build flat may or may not be excessive. Some of the property management firms are totally corrupt, and have ways of overcharging to justify the fees - we know this from experience. As a leaseholder, you will have rights, and one of them is to view the accounts and make sure that the property is being managed properly. Go to the Annual General Meetings, and make sure that any questions you have about how your money is being spent are answered. You also will have the right to see how the charge is determined, and whether it is equitable and realistic.
That is such useful information Vadio, thanks so much for taking the time to do that. I like your reminder about how important it is to be involved/aware of the decisions of property management firms, I will definitely be following your advice.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 2:24 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by dunroving
AFAIK, retirees don't pay NI -- in fact something reminds me that you don't pay NI in the year before your state retirement age, but I might have imagined this.

Of course, in the UK, retirees get additional benefits that cut down on the cost of living - bus passes, Wednesdays at B&Q (10% discount!), rail discount pass, etc.

In Scotland, it's even better. I will get a bus pass when I am 60 ...
Scouse is looking forward to his free bus pass, and even more to me having to pay

You can travel on bus or rail for free in Western Australia once you reach 65, but peak times are excluded. I'm probably committing heresy here, but I have no idea what B&Q is!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.