A monthly UK budget

Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A monthly UK budget

Originally Posted by morpeth
As far as reference to couple, it was in reference to the poster form the South, and the more and more I think about it as I listed the expenses I had in Midwest I doubt they would be that much less in the South ( though I didn't include heating which I found quite expensive in Midwest area I was in).
You seem to be talking about the southern US - I'd assumed (given it's on a thread about UK living costs) that Mikelinc's was talking about being in the south of the UK. You're also talking about a couple, whereas I was responding to the OP's post which said a single person, and you're including thing that I haven't included (i.e. you now mention council tax above, but the OP specifically says he's looking for an idea of costs excluding that).

I think that's why there's such a difference in what we think the figures should be, we're comparing apples and oranges.

I will be interested what figures you come up with-the other posters said that could live on 1/2 of figures I quoted : to live on 200 pounds a month in UK considering food, telephone and internet, some toiletries and household items (and surely most people need to get their hair cut, occasionally buy clothes, washing powder for laundry) even if utilities included in rent, is a frugal lifestyle.

I will be curious what your estimate of costs would be especially for food.
The OP asked about expenses after rent (which would normally include utilities excluding telephone), council tax, insurance etc for a single person.

So for me, that would be food, travel i.e. petrol, other groceries i.e. cleaning products, entertainment etc.

For a family of 4, we spent £400-480 a month on groceries (that includes cleaning products and some pet food). We eat well, lots of fresh fruit and veg but I batch cook and don't buy convenience food, so I'd guess a single person could live on £50 a week quite easily.

Petrol we don't spend anything as we have electric or hybrid vehicles, but assuming a small car and not huge mileage then I'd guess a tank every couple of weeks? So £30 or so a week.

Our phone bill/internet/landline is £20 a month. My mobile phone is £10 a month.

Entertainment, again I'm probably not the best person to ask as we very rarely eat out and we use the library for books, and Amazon Prime for films, so our costs are next to nothing.

I think £300 a month for a single person is doable (as evidenced by Mikelincs, who says he and his wife don't spend that amount for 2 of them), £400 for a few more luxuries or entertainment?

It's hard to say though given we're a family of 4 with two very hungry children (my teenager eats a lot more than me now!) and lots of pets, but we manage on a not dissimilar budget to the one you've quoted for one person, so I think the OP can get by on quite a bit less personally.

HTH.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:19 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

So for me, that would be food, travel i.e. petrol, other groceries i.e. cleaning products, entertainment etc.

For a family of 4, we spent £400-480 a month on groceries (that includes cleaning products and some pet food). We eat well, lots of fresh fruit and veg but I batch cook and don't buy convenience food, so I'd guess a single person could live on £50 a week quite easily.

Petrol we don't spend anything as we have electric or hybrid vehicles, but assuming a small car and not huge mileage then I'd guess a tank every couple of weeks? So £30 or so a week.

Our phone bill/internet/landline is £20 a month. My mobile phone is £10 a month.

Entertainment, again I'm probably not the best person to ask as we very rarely eat out and we use the library for books, and Amazon Prime for films, so our costs are next to nothing.

I think £300 a month for a single person is doable (as evidenced by Mikelincs, who says he and his wife don't spend that amount for 2 of them), £400 for a few more luxuries or entertainment?

It's hard to say though given we're a family of 4 with two very hungry children (my teenager eats a lot more than me now!) and lots of pets, but we manage on a not dissimilar budget to the one you've quoted for one person, so I think the OP can get by on quite a bit less personally.

HTH.
Those are impressively frugal grocery numbers!

How do you keep your landline+internet so low?
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Those are impressively frugal grocery numbers!
Good old Lidl.

How do you keep your landline+internet so low?
We don't use our landline for calls, so our package is just line rental and broadband, that's it. I use my mobile for calls as I have 600 minutes a month and never get anywhere close to that!
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:26 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam60
Thanks for all the feedback, Infact I’m relocating to the Preston / Blackpool area so less expensive that the South. I suppose my question is now ....how much should I budget for electric/gas in a studio / one bedroom flat? Water rates?mobile/tv/internet package connection?
Yes hard to guess the amounts for a flat, but extrapolating from my house bills:

Electric/gas: £50 pm
Water: £90 p.a
Mobile: £10 pm (or £1-2 pm if no data)
TV licence: £147 pa
Internet: £10-20 pm
Sky TV+phone+Internet: £75 pm
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:38 am
Yo

Good old Lidl.

We don't use our landline for calls, so our package is just line rental and broadband, that's it. I use my mobile for calls as I have 600 minutes a month and never get anywhere close to that!
Does it mean you don't have a landline? Ours costs £25 a month and does not get much use.

Lidl has some good prices, but I find the variety a bit low. I do like their deli section, however. What kind of things do you batch cook?
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to be talking about the southern US - I'd assumed (given it's on a thread about UK living costs) that Mikelinc's was talking about being in the south of the UK. You're also talking about a couple, whereas I was responding to the OP's post which said a single person, and you're including thing that I haven't included (i.e. you now mention council tax above, but the OP specifically says he's looking for an idea of costs excluding that).

I think that's why there's such a difference in what we think the figures should be, we're comparing apples and oranges.

The OP asked about expenses after rent (which would normally include utilities excluding telephone), council tax, insurance etc for a single person.

HTH.
You are right I got sidetracked from the OP, one poster stating they could live on half that amount in the US South, and I was just pointing out that even in USA that would be hard to do. Off the top of my head I had estimated 400 to 600 pounds per month depending on lifestyle, and of course amount of driving,
one does.

A lot depends on area of country. As you mention fruits and vegetables I find them much more expensive than USA, usually of lower quality and much less variety though that might just be in the North East. The OP though coming from Switzerland, and I lived there in the 1970's, and visited a lot in earlier years of his century, my own experience a very expensive place.

After rent costs I agree 300 pounds is doable for a reasonable frugal person on their own. When I am in UK on my own I budget 70 pounds a week and I usually eat out once on weekends, and have coffee out every other day, so 50 pounds doable though not sure on the quality of food at that budget.

Last edited by morpeth; Jan 9th 2018 at 8:44 am.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Does it mean you don't have a landline? Ours costs £25 a month and does not get much use.

Lidl has some good prices, but I find the variety a bit low. I do like their deli section, however. What kind of things do you batch cook?
Perhaps a silly question, why have a landline ? I stopped having when I was in USA, and also when in UK ? Except when I had to have a fax at home for work ( and even now there are programs to send/receive a fax on the computer) , haven't seen any need for a landline.

I agree about Lidl , some good prices on many things but variety a bit lacking.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:50 am
Yo

Perhaps a silly question, why have a landline ? I stopped having when I was in USA, and also when in UK ? Except when I had to have a fax at home for work ( and even now there are programs to send/receive a fax on the computer) , haven't seen any need for a landline.

I agree about Lidl , some good prices on many things but variety a bit lacking.
I am asking myself the same question. Actually about ten years ago we survived for a couple of years in two mobiles, but in this place I decided to get Sky and it was bundled with a landline. If I recall my monthly (on the bundle) has gone up from about £45 to £75 in the course of ten years. With mobile, Facetime, and Skype the need for a dedicated landline is questionable, but there is the 'security' factor too. In case of emergency.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Does it mean you don't have a landline?
No, we have one, just don't use it for calls but it's there in case of emergency. Are you paying £25 a month just for the landline?!? That's crazy. Look at somebody like Plusnet and you'll get line rental plus unlimited broadband for under £20.

Our Lidl is pretty good, I tend to a do a bigger shop at Costco every month to stock up stuff as well, and then shop at Lidl the rest of the time.

All sorts of things, curries, pasta sauces, chilli, pies, hotpot, lasagne, casseroles, etc. I love a risotto for using up leftovers as you can bung anything in it, and I'll do something like a beef and chorizo casserole and make it last ages, we'll have it one night with jacket spuds and veg, then another night with rice, then cooked up again and used as pasta sauce etc.

HTH.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:23 am
Yo

No, we have one, just don't use it for calls but it's there in case of emergency. Are you paying £25 a month just for the landline?!? That's crazy. Look at somebody like Plusnet and you'll get line rental plus unlimited broadband for under £20.

Our Lidl is pretty good, I tend to a do a bigger shop at Costco every month to stock up stuff as well, and then shop at Lidl the rest of the time.

All sorts of things, curries, pasta sauces, chilli, pies, hotpot, lasagne, casseroles, etc. I love a risotto for using up leftovers as you can bung anything in it, and I'll do something like a beef and chorizo casserole and make it last ages, we'll have it one night with jacket spuds and veg, then another night with rice, then cooked up again and used as pasta sauce etc.

HTH.
That's some food for thought.

Based on your numbers it seems that an adult could survive on £5 per day (food) which I suppose is possible, if one is a moderate eater. Big if in my case! It does put into perspective how cost ineffective some of those ready meals can be. Think I might need to do a frugality experiment!
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's some food for thought.

Based on your numbers it seems that an adult could survive on £5 per day (food) which I suppose is possible, if one is a moderate eater. Big if in my case! It does put into perspective how cost ineffective some of those ready meals can be. Think I might need to do a frugality experiment!
I agree one could do 5 pounds a day, though I think cooking ability does come into play, but also quality of food one finds acceptable.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 10:35 am
Yo

I agree one could do 5 pounds a day, though I think cooking ability does come into play, but also quality of food one finds acceptable.
Of late, I've been wondering why my grocery bills are so high, and this thread has really got me thinking. When I break down the cost of individual meals, they're not that high (eg. breakfast today, £1.50, good bacon and good eggs) and yet, I'm averaging around £10 per day. It must be snacks or something. Strange.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 10:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Of late, I've been wondering why my grocery bills are so high, and this thread has really got me thinking. When I break down the cost of individual meals, they're not that high (eg. breakfast today, £1.50, good bacon and good eggs) and yet, I'm averaging around £10 per day. It must be snacks or something. Strange.
This is probably a new thread, but you should break it down - I love a food budget challenge! We eat super well for our money, admittedly we are lucky enough to save on things like good eggs (we have chickens) and meat (we raise and butcher our own pigs), but even if you're prepared to cook from scratch you can bring that cost right down.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 1:45 pm
Yo

we are lucky enough to save on things like good eggs (we have chickens) and meat (we raise and butcher our own pigs), .
Old Feb 1st 2018, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Pondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ya. I live in Cornwall with my wife. Obviously some things you can reduce my 50% as you are single.
There are the numbers for us on a monthly basis.
Council tax £143
House insurance £48
Food etc £780
Electricity £87
Mobile £53
Sky broadband, phone and TV (basic) £48
Oil for AGA 75
Water £15
Fuel £140

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.