MN1 Biometrics from USA

Old Mar 15th 2018, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

RichNewYork_shire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MN1 Biometrics from USA

Hi,

I am trying to file British Citizenship by decent for my son's from US. I need biometrics for my son.

I visited the vfs global partner in the same Building as the British embassy New York to enquire about biometrics as described in the gov.uk website but they claimed the website was misleading and they would not book an appointment for me.

Instead they advised me to go home fill in the online form get biometrics from USCIS and submit to the consulate.

However the website clearly prevents online applications for applications from abroad.

I can't find a means to apply to book an appointment with USCIS to get the biometrics without an invitation.

Has anybody succeeded in this process recently who could advise.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

OdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MN1 Biometrics from USA

Not sure what you mean by filing for British citizenship. If you were born in the UK, your children are automatically citizens by descent. No filing is necessary or possible as far as I know. My daughters were born in USA and I got British passports for them a couple of years ago by mailing the application. No biometrics were needed.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for sharing. My situation is the same as yours with the exception that biometrics are needed now and I can't find the process to book the appointment.

The application has been completed in ink. I was asked to file a digital copy but the website has a two step process reinforcing the fact that applications from abroad cannot be completed online.

So I guess my new question is how do I book biometrics.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

OdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, can’t help you with that. I have no experience with biometrics. Here is the UK government website for online passport applications for people applying from outside the UK. It says nothing about needing biometrics:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...outside-the-uk
Old Mar 17th 2018, 9:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Were you born in the UK? If so were you married to the mother of your son at the time of his birth or subsequently? If so then your son is already a British citizen and needs only to apply for his British passport.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 2:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks, If you are right then I am just confused by the term decent. I thought even though I was British by birth they needed to be registered using the MN1. If it only needs a passport application then we can move forward. Fingers crossed.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 3:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichNewYork_shire
Thanks, If you are right then I am just confused by the term decent. I thought even though I was British by birth they needed to be registered using the MN1. If it only needs a passport application then we can move forward. Fingers crossed.
BritInParis is seriously in-the-know on this stuff
Old Mar 18th 2018, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Years ago I read somewhere that you could register births with the British consulate, but when I tried they told me they don’t do that anymore. As long as you have proof that you are British by “other than descent” (i.e. a birth certificate showing you were born there) and proof that you are the father of your children, you don’t need to do a thing. Even a British passport is optional. I got them for my girls just for convenience so they wouldn't have to search for birth certificates later on.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 11:24 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Not if you were born in the UK and your son is legitimate.*

*Not required if he was born on or after 1 July 2006.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Originally Posted by OdysseusLite
Years ago I read somewhere that you could register births with the British consulate, but when I tried they told me they don’t do that anymore. As long as you have proof that you are British by “other than descent” (i.e. a birth certificate showing you were born there) and proof that you are the father of your children, you don’t need to do a thing. Even a British passport is optional. I got them for my girls just for convenience so they wouldn't have to search for birth certificates later on.
Consular birth registration is still available but applications need to be made to the FCO in Milton Keynes rather than your local consulate.

British Consular Birth Registration : British Expat Wiki
Old Mar 18th 2018, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis

Consular birth registration is still available but applications need to be made to the FCO in Milton Keynes rather than your local consulate.

British Consular Birth Registration : British Expat Wiki
Thanks for the clarification and link.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Charpey is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m also in the same situation. I’m trying to get citizenship for my two daughters born in the US. Did you have any luck finding out how to do the biometrics or if you need to just register births/apply for passports ?
Old Jul 4th 2018, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

If you were born in the UK, and the girls were born in US then you only need to apply for their passports. Start the application it asks the questions and leads you into the process. Don't search for answers on the web just start the application.

You will need to make sure that the names on their birth certificates are the same as the names on their US passports, no missing names. They must be identical for Dual citizenship. The service we received from Durham was excellent.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Charpey is an unknown quantity at this point

If you were born in the UK, and the girls were born in US then you only need to apply for their passports. Start the application it asks the questions and leads you into the process. Don't search for answers on the web just start the application.

You will need to make sure that the names on their birth certificates are the same as the names on their US passports, no missing names. They must be identical for Dual citizenship. The service we received from Durham was excellent.
Thank you so much for getting back to me!