Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Missing paper portion of UK driving licence

Missing paper portion of UK driving licence

Old Mar 13th 2015, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Phil Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Missing paper portion of UK driving licence

With all of the moving around in the past few years in Canada I've mislaid the green paper portion that is supposed to accompany my UK photocard driving licence. The paper portion had no changes made to it since I first got my UK licence in 2000. Will that present much of a problem when I reach 70 and am supposed to surrender the photocard as well as the paper for a new licence? I had the paper portion at my fingertips in the UK but here in Canada just can not locate it. (It's not thrown out, just under a pile of paper somewhere.) If a person presents the photocard, wouldn't DVLA have a computer record of whether any entries had been made on the paper? Maybe others have faced this problem.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 8:01 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing paper portion of UK driving licence

believe it or not, the change of UK address, its all doable on line

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

http://contact-helpline.com/DVLA-Change-of-Address.html
Old Mar 14th 2015, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Phil Jones is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, not2old. I looked at that site before. It requires a person to already have a Government Gateway ID and that was where I saw a problem, given that I'm in Canada at present. It seems to be a way to go though if I were back in the U.K. I remember reading somewhere (maybe this website?) that a person outside the U.K. isn't able to change their address with DVLA. And someone else mentioned that you have to wait at least 6 months after being back in the U.K. before DVLA will change your information. Guess I'll just have to keep looking through the paper pile for the green paper portion and, if it can't be found, see later how DVLA looks on the situation! Thanks.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 5:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The paper counterpart is being scrapped on 8 June. After that date you are instructed to destroy it if you still have one so if it's been lost it will no longer matter.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...icence-changes
Old Mar 14th 2015, 6:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phil Jones
With all of the moving around in the past few years in Canada I've mislaid the green paper portion that is supposed to accompany my UK photocard driving licence. The paper portion had no changes made to it since I first got my UK licence in 2000. Will that present much of a problem when I reach 70 and am supposed to surrender the photocard as well as the paper for a new licence? I had the paper portion at my fingertips in the UK but here in Canada just can not locate it. (It's not thrown out, just under a pile of paper somewhere.) If a person presents the photocard, wouldn't DVLA have a computer record of whether any entries had been made on the paper? Maybe others have faced this problem.
You will NOT be able to renew your UK driving license, the photocard part wich is the only part that has an expiry date, except with a UK address, you can't change the adress to any other country.