Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Maybe it's time to move back

Maybe it's time to move back

Old May 25th 2016, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maybe it's time to move back

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Part of the "moving countries journey" is the decision-making part. Everyone will have their own way of coming to a conclusion. Some people know exactly what they want to do. Some don't.

When struggling with depression, any decision is more difficult. The person has to move past their own self-doubt before they can even begin to make a life plan.
It's like they sense what the right thing to do might be, but they just aren't sure they can even take the first step. This isn't a sign of weakness. It is the body's way of saying 'slow down go easy on me'.

Positive supports will help the person through the struggle. Positive support doesn't mean telling the person what they should do. It means telling them they will still have value, that their life can still have meaning, no matter what they decide.

It isn't about what the person decides to do. It is about the person.

fulwood - clarity will come when you least expect it. Open your mind to it. Remember that you have a place in this world that isn't defined by where you are. It is defined by who you are. You seem to me like a loving and compassionate person. You can take that part of you anywhere in the world, share it, and find more reward than you ever imagined. You might even find yourself happy again because - somehow - that is what happens when we take our gifts, unwrap them, and let them out with good purpose.
I think we can all gain something from this outlook, it's so easy to get all wrapped up in the angst of a bad situation and forget these things, thanks rj
Old May 29th 2016, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

i am in process of getting my British passport. I have my old black one that I'm sending in. But do i need to send them my American passport as well? I'm sure I read someone said they had to send their US passport...
Old May 29th 2016, 4:59 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
i am in process of getting my British passport. I have my old black one that I'm sending in. But do i need to send them my American passport as well? I'm sure I read someone said they had to send their US passport...
Others have sent photocopies of all pages of the US passport, I believe.
Old May 29th 2016, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Anglia has a reputation beyond reputeAnglia has a reputation beyond reputeAnglia has a reputation beyond reputeAnglia has a reputation beyond reputeAnglia has a reputation beyond reputeAnglia has a reputation beyond reputeAnglia has a reputation beyond reputeAnglia has a reputation beyond reputeAnglia has a reputation beyond reputeAnglia has a reputation beyond reputeAnglia has a reputation beyond repute

Wintersong is correct. I got my new British passport last year and I remember sending in a colour photocopy of each page of my Australian passport – every page including blank pages, not just the photo page.

I found the whole procedure more complex and rigid than in previous years. All the information is online at the gov.uk website and there are guidance notes here
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...otes_09.15.PDF

but still I found I had to phone the Passport Adviceline from Australia a couple of times to make sure I’d got absolutely everything correct.

Passport Adviceline
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
From outside the UK: +44 (0)300 222 0000
Textphone: 18001 0300 222 0222
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Weekends and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm
Old May 29th 2016, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that if you've not got the maroon cover passport your application will be treated like a first passport application so you'll need to send your birth certificate and any change of name since birth documents and someone will have to sign the back of one of the passport photos to certify that it is a true likeness of yourself. You may have to attend an identity interview. All the best.
Old May 29th 2016, 8:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
I believe that if you've not got the maroon cover passport your application will be treated like a first passport application so you'll need to send your birth certificate and any change of name since birth documents and someone will have to sign the back of one of the passport photos to certify that it is a true likeness of yourself. You may have to attend an identity interview. All the best.
If yor passport expired over 10 years ago it is treated as a first time application...even a maroon PP.
Old May 29th 2016, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

HI fulwood. I know absolutely nothing about this process for you, but my first thought is that there is no way I would be sending off in the mail my US Passport. Then you'd be left with nothing That would be bad.

Of course, if you're absolutely positive it's required you'll obviously have to, but I can't imagine they require a person to essentially trap themselves and not be able to travel until they get their new British passport.

Last edited by Downton Gabby; May 29th 2016 at 5:34 pm.
Old May 30th 2016, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
HI fulwood. I know absolutely nothing about this process for you, but my first thought is that there is no way I would be sending off in the mail my US Passport. Then you'd be left with nothing That would be bad.

Of course, if you're absolutely positive it's required you'll obviously have to, but I can't imagine they require a person to essentially trap themselves and not be able to travel until they get their new British passport.
Its not required. You just send in a photocopy of every page (including blank ones) of your foreign passport(s) instead.
Old May 30th 2016, 8:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I renewed my UK PP a few months ago. I sent a colour photocopy of every page of my US PP. Took less than a week from sending it from Canada to receiving the new PP.
Old May 31st 2016, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I renewed my UK PP a few months ago. I sent a colour photocopy of every page of my US PP. Took less than a week from sending it from Canada to receiving the new PP.
Wow... They're really on the ball. Thats faster than applying for a new Canadian PP from within Canada!
Old Jun 15th 2016, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future

Hi Fulwood and everyone, I've just been catching up on this forum after a long while away from it. Would just like to say the very best of luck to Fulwood in your preparations. I'm in your age group too and whilst my life here isn't bad, I do worry about retiring here (Australia). The possibility of sitting in Australian suburbia isolated on my own in my later years absolutely terrifies me. The last few years I've been saving everything I can for retirement (I'm 51 soon) and have noticed there just seems to be a better quality of life for older people in the UK in terms of clubs, interests and communities, and older people seem to be much more respected and valued than what I see here. Every year when I go over to visit my family I am astonished at the great lifestyle they seem to have without much money. So, I am going for 4 months at the end of this year to get a better idea. You have given me a lot to think about, thank you and very best wishes :-)
Old Jun 15th 2016, 4:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by moonsurfer
So, I am going for 4 months at the end of this year to get a better idea.
You have given me a lot to think about, thank you and very best wishes :-)
All the best to you with this planned trip. It's a really good idea and one that my husband and I will consider before finally deciding where we will rest our old bones.

Please do keep posting and let us know how your trip goes .
Old Jun 19th 2016, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

So, I am going for 4 months at the end of this year to get a better idea.
I was seriously considering a move back in 2013/2014. My father died unexpectedly, and I ended up spending 3+ months in the southeast in the summer of 2014. It didn't take long to lose my rosy idea of living back in the UK. Having said that, 2014 was not a good year. I was widowed, and my dad died in the space of 10 weeks, so I might not have been in the best frame of mind. I would absolutely agree that the best way to decide whether to move back is to spend a few months not being a visitor and living the everyday life.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 19th 2016 at 5:02 pm. Reason: To insert ] in quote
Old Jun 19th 2016, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I would look at giving it a year minimum.
Old Jun 19th 2016, 10:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I would look at giving it a year minimum.

You know Fulwood. What's to lose.

One year in the UK will change you and alter your life . Not because it is the UK but because it's a shake up of a life you are not currently particularly enjoying so for you that will be a good thing. A change is as good as a rest after all.

I'm waiting to read you are packed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.