Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Maybe it's time to move back

Maybe it's time to move back

Old May 23rd 2016, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

annie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Maybe it's time to move back

As I said, there are communities like this all over the US, including Colorado, Illinois, North Carolina, and New Jersey. It seems that there are other (less permanent) ways to tackle loneliness and this was just a suggestion. Many Brit expats live in Florida - so some people do like the sun. Personally, I could not put my dog in quarantine, and would try staying here - at least until he passed.
Old May 23rd 2016, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annie47
As I said, there are communities like this all over the US, including Colorado, Illinois, North Carolina, and New Jersey. It seems that there are other (less permanent) ways to tackle loneliness and this was just a suggestion. Many Brit expats live in Florida - so some people do like the sun. Personally, I could not put my dog in quarantine, and would try staying here - at least until he passed.
Who said anything about quarantine? And you think she should move to another state alone just to find a group to join instead of going back to her home country where she knows people?
Old May 23rd 2016, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

annie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of lightannie47 is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, I just joined. Thanks for the warm welcome.
I was just suggested an alternative - no "should" there. She has a dog, I have a dog. I have decided not to move back until he passes because of the quarantine rule. As I said, "personally".
Old May 23rd 2016, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

I was just suggested an alternative - no "should" there. She has a dog, I have a dog. I have decided not to move back until he passes because of the quarantine rule. As I said, "personally".
There is no "quarantine rule".
Old May 23rd 2016, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Good to know. Thanks! Now I'll be quiet and let this thread focus on Fulwood. Sorry to intrude.
Old May 23rd 2016, 9:24 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there Annie47 . Always lovely to see a new face.

FWIW , my husband and I have agonised over whether to move back from New Zealand to the UK with our elderly cat who is now 18 & have decided against. Not because of the rabies jab so much. More because of the horrendous journey involved and whether he would re-orientate to a UK environment after the wide spaces we have around us here as he has a little dementia in there.

If you have a mo and the inclination perhaps share a but about you. You know . The usual nosey sort of stuff.
Old May 23rd 2016, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Good to know. Thanks! Now I'll be quiet and let this thread focus on Fulwood. Sorry to intrude.
I hope you look into the "Pet Passport" guidelines. You may find that you can go back home yourself now if you want to since the dog won't have to be quarantined. That whole thing changed quite awhile ago.
Old May 23rd 2016, 11:00 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fulwood. I'm sorry you are dealing with loneliness and see no future here in the US. There is another alternative that you may try before making such a huge change. If it doesn't improve things, you can always move to the UK later.
There are some very good communities in the US for Over 55s. Many are in Florida and Arizona, but they are in most states. It seems that many people move there from another state, on their own, and make new friends. Several even have Brit clubs for expats, and dog parks. Housing is less than in most parts of the UK, or you could rent. Check out the Sun City communities by Del Webb to start. A lot of people still work. The best part is that you can take your dog!
Good luck to you, Annie
That was a lovely, thoughtful post Annie That's what BE is all about, offering suggestions and alternatives for people who are struggling with a decision.

Good on you, and
Old May 24th 2016, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Arizona. I appreciate everyone's input.
Old May 24th 2016, 4:48 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by fulwood
I live in Arizona. I appreciate everyone's input.
Blimey. That makes me think of cactus.

Anyway. Have you packed your bags and the dog's cooler weather coat yet.
Old May 24th 2016, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Blimey. That makes me think of cactus.

Anyway. Have you packed your bags and the dog's cooler weather coat yet.

I hope she feels encouraged to go for it
Old May 24th 2016, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

'Pet Passports' for dogs, cats and ferrets coming from America and Canada. Personally I think it is a crying shame that rabbits and rats can't be included especially as they are much less likely to have rabies, being caged. I don't know, maybe there is no rabies vaccine for them? There is free movement for rodents between Europe and the UK and I hope coming out of the EU would not stop that.
Old May 24th 2016, 2:24 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the "moving countries journey" is the decision-making part. Everyone will have their own way of coming to a conclusion. Some people know exactly what they want to do. Some don't.

When struggling with depression, any decision is more difficult. The person has to move past their own self-doubt before they can even begin to make a life plan.
It's like they sense what the right thing to do might be, but they just aren't sure they can even take the first step. This isn't a sign of weakness. It is the body's way of saying 'slow down go easy on me'.

Positive supports will help the person through the struggle. Positive support doesn't mean telling the person what they should do. It means telling them they will still have value, that their life can still have meaning, no matter what they decide.

It isn't about what the person decides to do. It is about the person.

fulwood - clarity will come when you least expect it. Open your mind to it. Remember that you have a place in this world that isn't defined by where you are. It is defined by who you are. You seem to me like a loving and compassionate person. You can take that part of you anywhere in the world, share it, and find more reward than you ever imagined. You might even find yourself happy again because - somehow - that is what happens when we take our gifts, unwrap them, and let them out with good purpose.
Old May 24th 2016, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That was a lovely, thoughtful post Annie That's what BE is all about, offering suggestions and alternatives for people who are struggling with a decision.

Good on you, and
+1
Old May 24th 2016, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Fulwood is looking for encouragement. She clearly is going in the direction of moving back to the UK where she feels life would be easier for her. We are all supporting her and no one is telling her what to do, only helping to give her confidence to go forward toward what she wants.

As far as Annie and her comments, I did not mean to make her feel unwelcome. She seems like a very nice person. However, it did seem like she had not read through this thread from the beginning. By offering the ideas she did I just felt she was telling fulwood to essentially take two steps back, undermining her slowly building confidence to go for what she's been wanting to do for awhile. Hence my reaction. Also, Annie referred to moving country as "permanent", which is not only incorrect but serves to potentially scare someone into staying put out of fear.

Whatever she decides and whenever she decides, I'm sure we'll all support her. As someone said, taking action is an antidote to depression. IMO, she knows what she wants and is looking for people to bolster her confidence, not give her excuses to stay put in the US where she doesn't feel at home.

And we are all certainly entitled to our opinions and everyone is welcome. If I made Annie feel otherwise I'm sorry. And I hope she looks into the Pet Passport for her dog.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.