Lump Sum 401-k withdrawal

Old Nov 30th 2017, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

mickok is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lump Sum 401-k withdrawal

I am now UK resident and considering taking my entire 401-k (about $140k) as a lump sum. It's my understanding that if I withdraw the entire amount at once it will be taxable in the US rather than the UK under the DTA, whereas if I withdraw any amount less than 100% the withdrawn amount (90% of the withdrawn amount) will be taxable by the UK and not the US. Can anyone just confirm my understanding? Also, if I do withdraw 100% as a lump sum, should I notify HMRC of the withdrawal, or should I just keep a record in case a flag is raised when I transfer the funds to my UK account? Thanks very much for any help anyone can give with this.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 11:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lump Sum 401-k withdrawal

Are you at least 59½ or are you withdrawing it prematurely?
Old Nov 30th 2017, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

No, I'm 64. I have a couple of good reasons to consider taking the lump sum, but I haven't decided yet.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the assumption is correct that lump sums from an IRA or 401k are only taxable in the US. I had a dual qualified tax accountant do my US and UK taxes this year for 2016/17 and for the lump sum conversion from my IRA it was taxed only by the US, but the amount was stated in the notes on my UK return, and that it was not taxable by HMRC due to the DTA.

Last edited by durham_lad; Dec 1st 2017 at 1:33 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, that's reassuring. The tax on a larger lump sum 401k withdrawal will be high in any event but the US tax would be considerably lower, and can be mitigated somewhat by a decent exchange rate at the time of transfer. My biggest concern has been that HMRC would challenge this after the fact, given the larger amount, but the DTA seems quite clear that it is US taxable only. I appreciate your help.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickok
Thanks, that's reassuring. The tax on a larger lump sum 401k withdrawal will be high in any event but the US tax would be considerably lower, and can be mitigated somewhat by a decent exchange rate at the time of transfer. My biggest concern has been that HMRC would challenge this after the fact, given the larger amount, but the DTA seems quite clear that it is US taxable only. I appreciate your help.
You are very welcome.

Good luck.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the rules change in the UK beginning this year (the 2017-2018 tax year)?

As I recall, the 10% break (90% taxable) was removed, and so was the UK tax break on lump sum withdrawals.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vadio
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the rules change in the UK beginning this year (the 2017-2018 tax year)?

As I recall, the 10% break (90% taxable) was removed, and so was the UK tax break on lump sum withdrawals.
I had also heard that about foreign pensions losing their 10% tax free component starting this current tax year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...al-information

From 6 April 2017 100% of any foreign pension you receive if you’re a UK resident, including any from a qualifying recognised overseas pension scheme (QROPS), will be taxable in the UK in the normal way.

The rule to tax only 90% of a UK resident’s foreign pension was introduced to reflect the additional expenses incurred in earning that pension. The government isn’t convinced that this is now justified given that there is no similar deduction for UK accrued pensions that did not receive tax relief.
Not clear to me if they still plan on taxing lump sums by changing the US/UK DTA (making foreign pensions 100% taxable is outside of any DTA)

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...nual/ptm114000

Payments to individuals
Section 164 Finance Act 2004

Broadly, overseas resident individuals receiving pension payments from a registered pension scheme are liable to UK income tax unless they are exempted by a double taxation agreement. A double taxation arrangement means an agreement between the UK and any territory outside the UK as set out in sections 2-6 Taxation (International and Other Provisions) Act 2010.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for this, I wasn't aware that we are losing the 90% rule. That's significant for me since all of my pensions are US pensions. As you say that's not part of the DTA, but the rule that lump sum pension withdrawals are taxed by the originating country is part of the DTA. I'm trying to decipher the new wording regarding lump sum withdrawals and whether that effects pensions accumulated before 2017, I guess I'll hold off on doing anything until I'm very sure that I won't have a problem.

Actually this raises another question, whether US Social Security pensions are taxed at 90%/now 100%, or whether they are taxed at the same level that they would be taxed in the US. This is a different topic, and may be discussed in another thread, I'll look around.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know, SS pensions are now 100% taxable. What would have been taxed in the US is not applicable, as the Treaty is specific that US SS is taxable only in the UK, so rules here apply.

I have assumed that lump sums from foreign pensions are now fully taxable in the UK. I took a lump sum from a small US pot before the end of the 2016/2017 tax year, as it was clear that the US would tax but the UK would not. Didn't want to risk the 20% UK hit. For the rest, I will take distributions as required by US rules on the IRAs, but no more lump sums. Would love to be able to take one more lump sum, and if I was absolutely sure that only the the US would have taxing rights, I would do it. The pot isn't large and the US tax would be (relatively) small.

Last edited by Vadio; Dec 1st 2017 at 8:29 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mickok
Thanks for this, I wasn't aware that we are losing the 90% rule. That's significant for me since all of my pensions are US pensions. As you say that's not part of the DTA, but the rule that lump sum pension withdrawals are taxed by the originating country is part of the DTA. I'm trying to decipher the new wording regarding lump sum withdrawals and whether that effects pensions accumulated before 2017, I guess I'll hold off on doing anything until I'm very sure that I won't have a problem.

Actually this raises another question, whether US Social Security pensions are taxed at 90%/now 100%, or whether they are taxed at the same level that they would be taxed in the US. This is a different topic, and may be discussed in another thread, I'll look around.
I will be very surprised if SS pensions are not taxed in the UK the same as the UK OAP, ie 100% of it will be taxed.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies in advance if this is a silly question. I have spent the afternoon reading the DTA (got something more exciting planned for the evening!!) In article 17 bullet 2 it says “...a lump-sum payment derived from a pension scheme...”. Does lump-sum mean the whole amount in the 401K or IRA? E.G. If I were to take $100,000 from an IRA and still have money remaining in the IRA would the $100,000 be considered a lump sum?
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
Apologies in advance if this is a silly question. I have spent the afternoon reading the DTA (got something more exciting planned for the evening!!) In article 17 bullet 2 it says “...a lump-sum payment derived from a pension scheme...”. Does lump-sum mean the whole amount in the 401K or IRA? E.G. If I were to take $100,000 from an IRA and still have money remaining in the IRA would the $100,000 be considered a lump sum?
The lump sum does not have to be the whole amount, which is why vadio and myself have been making lump sum withdrawals. The question that vadio has raised is whether this will be allowed going forward. The links and quotes I posted above are from the uk.gov site and confirm that the 90% of foreign pension rule has changed but I don’t see any change yet to the DTA.

I may be wrong but would like to see evidence that this lump sum rule has changed with respect to the US/UK DTA.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you durham_lad
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 8:41 am
Aoi
Forum Regular

Aoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
I asked HMRC a similar question last year (specifically for the case of no distribution in the previous or following tax years). HMRC's reply was:

"A partial distribution is not considered to be a lump sum payment it would be treated as a pension payment for UK tax purposes. As such any partial distributions need to be reported on your Self Assessment Tax return for the relevant year as per Paragraph 1, Article 17 of the UK/US Double Taxation Convention."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.