Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

LRP Abandonment and Social Security

LRP Abandonment and Social Security

Old Aug 1st 2017, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

iAteAllThePeanutButter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LRP Abandonment and Social Security

I am looking to return to the UK in the next few months and am having some trouble understanding how this affects my Social Security if I abandon my LRP.

Points to consider:

Will I still be able to collect SS as a non-US citizen, non-US resident? Are there any particular points to consider in this situation?
    Old Aug 1st 2017, 6:47 pm
    BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute
    Default Re: LRP Abandonment and Social Security

If you qualify (as you do with 40 credits, or 10 substantial years of contributions) for US SSA old age benefits, you retain your right to collect them and may receive them if you live in the UK. It does not matter that you are a non-USC or non-US resident. They are automatically paid, in £s, at the best exchange rate available, into your UK bank account. Under the current tax treaty, they are taxed in the UK only, and not in the US.

Be aware of WEP (Windfall Elimination Provision) if you have any UK (or other foreign) pensions, including the UK State Pension, and how your SSA benefit might be reduced.

To eventually claim the SSA pension, contact the FBU (Federal Benefits Unit) at the US Embassy in London, or the SSA International Office in Baltimore.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...eral-benefits/

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/wep-chart.html

Also:

https://www.ssa.gov/international/Ag...phlets/uk.html

Last edited by theOAP; Aug 1st 2017 at 7:02 pm.
    Old Aug 1st 2017, 6:54 pm
    BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iAteAllThePeanutButter
    I am looking at abandoning my LRP status (via the I-407)
    Since you have 10 years of SSA contributions, if you are a long term permanent resident in the US, be sure you understand the requirements of IRS Form 8854 in addition to I-407. 8854 will exit you (properly) from US continuing yearly taxation after returning to the UK.
    Old Aug 1st 2017, 6:58 pm
    Just Joined

iAteAllThePeanutButter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your input, theOAP.

Originally Posted by theOAP
    Since you have 10 years of SSA contributions, if you are a long term permanent resident in the US, be sure you understand the requirements of IRS Form 8854 in addition to I-407. 8854 will exit you (properly) from US continuing yearly taxation after returning to the UK.
    I'll add that to my to-do list.
    Old Aug 1st 2017, 8:57 pm
    BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iAteAllThePeanutButter
    Will I still be able to collect SS as a non-US citizen, non-US resident? Are there any particular points to consider in this situation?
    Simplified version:
    To collect US SS you must be either
    1. US citizen or
    2. US resident or
    3. Citizen and resident of one of the countries on the qualifying shortlist.

UK qualifies under 3, provided you are British that is.

For the fine print see :
    https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/3401...urity-benefits