Loaded question

Old Sep 23rd 2014, 10:55 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Loaded question

Originally Posted by chris955
Well certainly in the area we are in, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Shropshire etc. Rents are very reasonable. School costs are minimal overall. You wont live a life of luxury on that money but also bear in mind it will be topped up by the Government, there is child benefit, child and working tax credits, rates reductions etc so the amount mentioned is really just a starting point.
One man's reasonable is another man's extortionate. How much for somewhere suitable for a family of 4?
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

tratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't expect to live a life of luxury on this amount, I just need to be sure I can afford to rent and pay the bills until we are settled and have a better idea of how things work. In my field I am seeing jobs anywhere from £6.50/hour up to £45,000 per year which causes me some concern. I am thinking I need to set £25000 as my minimum and negotiate from there.

I do not want or expect to be in London, I do have a potential however in Kent. Should we avoid the south completely due to higher rents?

I will continue to look in Derbyshire, NW, and NE but if there is a solid job in the SE I do not want to take it if I can't rent somewhere for less than £700.

I am still fumbling my way through this learning new things as I go. What is the LHA payment for rent when renting private? Is that for people on social assistance or can a family earning this amount be eligible for this type of assistance to offset higher rents?

Thanks so much BE.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:38 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes exactly, you seem fully aware of the situation. On the amount mentioned depending on area obviously you will be able to live comfotably until things sort themselves out. In many areas of the South and more accurately the SE obviously the situation is different and you would need more.
I dont know anything about the LHA and dont know the absolute specifics of the other top up payments available but you would be eligible for various things.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:44 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes exactly, you seem fully aware of the situation. On the amount mentioned depending on area obviously you will be able to live comfotably until things sort themselves out. In many areas of the South and more accurately the SE obviously the situation is different and you would need more.
I dont know anything about the LHA and dont know the absolute specifics of the other top up payments available but you would be eligible for various things.
Maybe you're right maybe you're wrong, but at the moment it appears that you're doing the OP a real disservice by not quoting figures. It's certainly not obvious on the (lack of) information you've given.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Renting: As a guide use the rental section of "rightmove". Just put in the number of bedrooms required and your price range and the county.

Good luck.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:01 pm
Hit 16's

Ok, just to test what property rents are like, here’s the results from zoopla.co.uk on searching for 3-bed properties to rent in the range of 4-500 pcm.

Kent: 1 property at 475
Shropshire: 15 properties
Herefordshire: 3 properties
Worcestershire: 1 property

Those 4 counties are home to 2.5 million people, and there are just 20 properties to rent for up to 500 pcm (Zoopla’s pretty comprehensive). Please, before you mislead any further, provide some facts.

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Sep 23rd 2014 at 12:03 pm. Reason: 2 shropshires...
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:12 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

You will also find that those areas are cheaper generally across the board than the SE and the South, not just rents but food and amost other essentials. You also have the benefit of much less traffic. Of course wages are lower in these areas. There are some lovely areas and wonderful countryside up that way as well.

Originally Posted by tratcliffe71

I will continue to look in Derbyshire, NW, and NE but if there is a solid job in the SE I do not want to take it if I can't rent somewhere for less than £700.

I am still fumbling my way through this learning new things as I go. What is the LHA payment for rent when renting private? Is that for people on social assistance or can a family earning this amount be eligible for this type of assistance to offset higher rents?

Thanks so much BE.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:22 pm
Hit 16's

You will also find that those areas are cheaper generally across the board than the SE and the South, not just rents but food and amost other essentials. You also have the benefit of much less traffic. Of course wages are lower in these areas. There are some lovely areas and wonderful countryside up that way as well.
Tratcliffe, all I can say is do some serious research. "houses are generally cheaper in the NE than in the SE" doesn't help one iota in knowing if you can live as a family of 4 on 1,400 quid a month. There's sufficient information out there, just make sure its verifiable. Good luck.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:43 pm
Banned

Tratcliffe, do you have any specific areas that appeal to you or that you prefer as it will make it easier to help. As with anywhere there is huge disparity in the UK especially broadly speaking between the North and the South. Your money will go much further in the North and Midlands areas, it doesnt mean that those regions are less desirable. Try to narrow it down a bit or if it doesnt really matter to you but you know that you wont be earning a large amount then direct your search to the 'cheaper' regions of the country.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

If I'm correct, the OP is the partner of Pondhopper2014, and questions regarding living costs in the UK were answered on this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...ife-uk-804881/

The thread also gives some background as to the family situation.

From what I understand, they've sold their house in Canada and have some savings from the proceed of the sale. This amount will no doubt be taken into consideration should benefits be applied for (except child benefit).

I thought the above information would be useful so that posters have a fuller picture of the circumstances and can offer advice accordingly.

To the OP - good luck to you and your family with your move.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

tratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond reputetratcliffe71 has a reputation beyond repute

Definetely targeting Derby and will work out from there but open to anywhere I can get work. Milton Keynes?
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

You are correct HH. I was just looking for other opinion on the subject.
In 2 weeks i will be there and getting butterflies.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Derby properties. Find 3 bedroom property to rent in Derby, Derbyshire

£300 PCM - £500 PCM

I'd look in the surrounding villages first, but that's just my preference.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 5:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by tratcliffe71
Definetely targeting Derby and will work out from there but open to anywhere I can get work. Milton Keynes?
OK, well in that case I definitely stick by my comment about rentals for less than £500 a month. Try and get out of the big towns a little, less traffic, quiter, cheaper rent etc.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I visited Derbyshire this summer to see my sister (long story didn't work out) but I absolutely loved it! I would even consider moving there myself when I move back for good in next 2-5 years. She lives in Chinley which is small village but after living in US for 30 years and most of that (God forbid) in the hot desert of Arizona I absolutely adored all the greenery. it was lovely once again to visit small villages, pubs, people actually talked to me! I would go now but I want to be in good financial position when I return (no debt, plenty of savings). Long time ago, when I started using this forum many people had given advice to others that when you return to consider not living in your "home" town. Well I had never thought of that! Preston is not ideal but most of my friends live there but I want to live elsewhere. i will be on my own but I've been on my own in US for 30 years and have been lonely like many folks who live/lived in US. So my story may not help as I totally digressed from Derbyshire. But I would recommend it based on what I saw. You could live in Derbyshire and commute or catch trains to Stockport/Manchester.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.