Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Living very close to a railway line

Living very close to a railway line

Old Sep 5th 2014, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living very close to a railway line

Have to say there seems to be a certain lack of urgency around house-selling. One agent informs me 'vendor hasn't got back to us yet' re a viewing requested yesterday. Another is going on holiday so house won't be available to view while they're away. Mañana!
Old Sep 5th 2014, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes, I'm into it - I wondered how you knew.

Added - my 3- legged toad
Excellent!

Keep him in reserve for adversarial encounters with mortgage companies
Old Sep 5th 2014, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say there seems to be a certain lack of urgency around house-selling. One agent informs me 'vendor hasn't got back to us yet' re a viewing requested yesterday. Another is going on holiday so house won't be available to view while they're away. Mañana!
I guess lock boxes aren't widespread in the UK then....

Can't say I'm excited about the prospect of having to deal with the UK house-buying process again. The whole thing seems inefficient and time-consuming.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

Can't say I'm excited about the prospect of having to deal with the UK house-buying process again. The whole thing seems inefficient and time-consuming.
The good thing, I suppose, is that the agents seen more than happy to list all the bad points of the house and launch into speculation about the sellers' desperate circumstances (actually that happens in LA too but quite striking so far here). The agents often appear flustered and give the impression they wish you weren't cutting into their time

You'll have fun looking. There are some cool places around.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 10:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Any least it doesn't cost an arm and a leg in estate agents fees when you sell.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Any least it doesn't cost an arm and a leg in estate agents fees when you sell.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we used to live with a train line from South London to London terminus at the end of our garden. You get used to it quickly and no problem with resale at all...especially as the station was a 5 mi walk in the mornings.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:08 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Not in privzte houses, but there are many in apartment blocks where some of the people may be elderly, and have carers coming daily. Some people do have them with spare keys insode, incase they forget their keys and are locked out. but not a common sight usually.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 12:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Not in privzte houses, but there are many in apartment blocks where some of the people may be elderly, and have carers coming daily. Some people do have them with spare keys insode, incase they forget their keys and are locked out. but not a common sight usually.
You do get them in private houses but they do not belong to estate agents like they do in the US. The council fitted one outside mum's bungalow...as she could no longer walk to the door.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pomster
we used to live with a train line from South London to London terminus at the end of our garden. You get used to it quickly and no problem with resale at all...especially as the station was a 5 mi walk in the mornings.
Yes, different in London.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You do get them in private houses but they do not belong to estate agents like they do in the US. The council fitted one outside mum's bungalow...as she could no longer walk to the door.
The railway house had one for their own use.

I guess it's different here because you don't generally have a buyer's broker.

We are now considering half a converted bakery in Harborne
Old Sep 6th 2014, 3:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, different in London.

The railway house had one for their own use.

I guess it's different here because you don't generally have a buyer's broker.

We are now considering half a converted bakery in Harborne
I was going to ask if you had looked at Harborne or Bournville. Lichfield is also supposed to be a nice town but might be a bit quiet if you are looking for a place with a buzz.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dunroving
I was going to ask if you had looked at Harborne or Bournville. Lichfield is also supposed to be a nice town but might be a bit quiet if you are looking for a place with a buzz.
I have never been to Lichfield, looking on Google it seems very nice.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 8:12 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Its funny, I had been reading this post but didn't comment as I didn't have a clue what it would be like to live by a train line, even though I have moved many times and lived in many houses.

Well yesterday, I dropped my youngest at a new friends house. I was sitting in their lounge talking to her parents when all of a sudden I heard a loud noise. In the space of about 45 minutes, 3 trains went by as we were on the mainline between Reading and London. The house back doors were open and I have got to say it was pretty loud.

Not a clue what it would be like at night with freight trains going past?

I'm sure you get use to the sound, but I got to say, I think I will intentionally keep away from buying a house near a train line. But thats just me
Old Sep 7th 2014, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The freight trains are long and can make the house vibrate. We would sometimes hear them in our old house which was on the other side of a street which had the same line running along it.

Drove past our old house yesterday, the owner was pottering around outside looking very happy.

Beware the greener grass
Old Sep 7th 2014, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Try talking to neighbours in the same street..they are often a mine of valuable tips.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.