Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Living in USA and UK, any thoughts?

Living in USA and UK, any thoughts?

Old Jul 20th 2015, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Kitsune is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in USA and UK, any thoughts?

I do love hearing what people do and why they make various decisions. So helpful, thank you.
What I'm beginning to wonder now is how to maintain relationships while living a life in two places. Family is one thing, but what about friends? These days we give or attend dinner/card parties every month (mainly expat couples we've met via an expat whist group), but that wasn't always the case. Having a social life has added so much to our quality of life here in Houston.
I know my South African friend (who has to go to SA for 3 months every year) says it's difficult to maintain relationships. And with the exception of her, I don't have any friends who go away for 6 months. Because, well, they're just not around.
Volunteering, taking a course, visiting somebody who has just had surgery, giving parties...how do these things fit in with life in 2 places? Is it possible to establish/maintain strong connections in 2 places?
Old Jul 20th 2015, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Disenchanted
Kitsune, thank you for posting this, I am also 2~4 years out from doing this and was contemplating a similar post. I too will be looking to have a place in Cornwall, on the North coast side. Have you considered a Holiday Lodge? Some have to be vacant in Jan/Feb, some don't, it depends on the conditions the owner has permission for. If you will be "wintering" in Texas then the vacant period of a holiday lodge would not be an issue.

I have been mulling over selling our Los Angeles home, however, a neighbor recently rented out their 2 bedroom house for $3500/mo. I have the ability to easily convert my 3 bedroom house into a 2 bedroom house and a 1 bedroom studio so now I'm torn between keeping the property and renting it out or selling it. Any others (durham_lad, 1234robin ) looking at doing anything similar have any suggestions or warnings. Tax complications etc etc. The intention is to leave the property to our kids, should we maybe form a trust???

I am the expat, USRA, wife is USC. I said once I went back to the UK I wouldn't come back here, but that may not be practical, so should I apply for USC to be on the safe side? What tax implications does it alleviate/cause? I know it's easier to tell them where to put their Green Card than it is their US Citizenship.

I will have Civil Service and SS pension here as well as Privte UK pension and UK State pension there, rental income here if we keep our property. What is most advantageous tax wise, pay all to IRS, pay all to HMRC, split it based on where it comes from, can I even do that based on IRS/DofT rules????

durham_lad & Richard8655, thanks for the info on BCBS, I have this with my city job currently, but does it still work with Medicare if the provider is BCBS?

Anyway, hopefully we'll collectively come up with a consensus of how to proceed advantageously. I will be eagerly watching.
Holiday lodge: an interesting thought but since I don't want to be told to move out, will not work for us. As far as your LA place goes, I wonder if it would help to think honestly about your skills and talents? I can do paperwork until the cows come home, but have finally admitted I will never, ever have the patience to use anything more complicated than a comb on my hair. If you are willing to do the paperwork associated with renting, then that might be for you.
I'm looking for a good accountant to help us with possible US/UK tax issues, so I'll post here when I find one.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 2:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kitsune
Holiday lodge: an interesting thought but since I don't want to be told to move out, will not work for us. As far as your LA place goes, I wonder if it would help to think honestly about your skills and talents? I can do paperwork until the cows come home, but have finally admitted I will never, ever have the patience to use anything more complicated than a comb on my hair. If you are willing to do the paperwork associated with renting, then that might be for you.
I'm looking for a good accountant to help us with possible US/UK tax issues, so I'll post here when I find one.
Several members who post in the US forums use Peter Newton...he's a BE Member. I think someone said he's not taking on new clients at the moment due to his workload...but keep trying.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/membe...-newton-13275/
Old Jul 20th 2015, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

With respect, but what are your intentions regarding a visa?

You are normally allowed 6 months as a visitor in any 12 month period, and you can likely come in and out a few times without any issues. BUT - if the UKVI look closely at your passport, there's always a chance that you will be flagged as trying to live in the UK without a visa, and you could be denied entry at any point in time. That is definitely something that you do not want to risk.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

We have been doing the leaving thing for 6 years now and we talk about our plans with our friends before we go and some of them follow our travels on Facebook. When we get back we just pick up where we left off.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kitsune
I do love hearing what people do and why they make various decisions. So helpful, thank you.
What I'm beginning to wonder now is how to maintain relationships while living a life in two places. Family is one thing, but what about friends? These days we give or attend dinner/card parties every month (mainly expat couples we've met via an expat whist group), but that wasn't always the case. Having a social life has added so much to our quality of life here in Houston.
I know my South African friend (who has to go to SA for 3 months every year) says it's difficult to maintain relationships. And with the exception of her, I don't have any friends who go away for 6 months. Because, well, they're just not around.
Volunteering, taking a course, visiting somebody who has just had surgery, giving parties...how do these things fit in with life in 2 places? Is it possible to establish/maintain strong connections in 2 places?
Florida is not a problem for retired people. They are properly geared up for seasonal residents (security, insurances etc) and the snowbirds socialize among themselves.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 7:24 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
We have been doing the leaving thing for 6 years now and we talk about our plans with our friends before we go and some of them follow our travels on Facebook. When we get back we just pick up where we left off.
We know plenty of people locally who spend four months, six months or more away ... Florida, Mexico, Spain, you name it. We know a couple who have a place here (far north in New York State) and a place in New York City and a place in Florida. I doubt if they spend more than four months a year up here. (Or there I should say, I'm in England.)

A lot of senior related activities here are based on the college calendar, or part of it, which means that part year residents can participate without missing a beat. For instance, we have a college based further education set up, with an eight week semester in the spring and another in the fall .... people are away in the summer and/ or the winter, and they can still participate. For instance I left the US in mid May the day after my last class, and I'll be back the very end of August, having signed up for my fall classes! And I don't intend to spend the winter there!!
Old Jul 21st 2015, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Several members who post in the US forums use Peter Newton...he's a BE Member. I think someone said he's not taking on new clients at the moment due to his workload...but keep trying.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/membe...-newton-13275/
Wow, yes this is exactly what I needed. No urgency for us, fortunately. Thank you so very much!
Old Jul 21st 2015, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
We know plenty of people locally who spend four months, six months or more away ... Florida, Mexico, Spain, you name it. We know a couple who have a place here (far north in New York State) and a place in New York City and a place in Florida. I doubt if they spend more than four months a year up here. (Or there I should say, I'm in England.)

A lot of senior related activities here are based on the college calendar, or part of it, which means that part year residents can participate without missing a beat. For instance, we have a college based further education set up, with an eight week semester in the spring and another in the fall .... people are away in the summer and/ or the winter, and they can still participate. For instance I left the US in mid May the day after my last class, and I'll be back the very end of August, having signed up for my fall classes! And I don't intend to spend the winter there!!
This is one of the connections I wondered about. Nice to hear that further education works for people with more than one place to hang their hat. Thank you for posting your experience!
Old Jul 21st 2015, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Cornwall is expensive, West Wales is relatively inexpensive and has similar climate, beaches etc.
Summers in Britain and winters in Florida sounds pretty much ideal to me.
A Florida condo in a gated community with a garage where you can store your American car out of season would be close to ideal.
As others have intimated, NHS entitlement requires nominating Britain as primary residence.
You can do USC in USA 6 months and one week a year and UKC in UK 6 months and one week a year and so be together for 50 to 51 weeks a year.
To me everything is expensive in the UK and err.. different, too. A 9x10 "bedroom"? That's a rug! And where are the closets? A zillion dollars for a place with no closets?!

Charming thatched cottage deep in the woods - oops no indoor plumbing. Another country place has a Rayburn cooker, but the interior ceilings are gone.

Okay, then, hows about some land? Found some land - hey we can afford that - but the entire plot has commoner's rights. Birdwatchers/cows/sheep/hikers ambling past the windows.

Then I found an affordable 45 acre farm with no farmhouse but with "full planning permission". Screaming now, jumping around like Tigger. Honey, we can build!! But then I dug up the minutes from the council meeting (yep, posted online) and the council said no, no farmhouse.

Saucer eyes - estate agent told a fib?

But still, it's all good. I love it.

And thanks for the idea about US/UK medical care, that could work for us.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 3:45 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

UK price for what you get is stupidly expensive, yet can be dreamy

700 sq ft for £130,000 in Angelsey ($200,000)

3 bedroom cottage for sale in Llanddona, Anglesey. For Sale By Auction 6th August 2015 Subject to Auction Terms & Conditions, LL58

versus in Ireland for approx the same price

A ranch

Kilclooney More, Portnoo, Co. Donegal - Property.ie

A bigger ranch close to the beach

Tank Road, Ludden, Buncrana, Co. Donegal - Property.ie
Old Jul 21st 2015, 4:03 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
UK price for what you get is stupidly expensive, yet can be dreamy

700 sq ft for £130,000 in Angelsey ($200,000)

3 bedroom cottage for sale in Llanddona, Anglesey. For Sale By Auction 6th August 2015 Subject to Auction Terms & Conditions, LL58

versus in Ireland for approx the same price

A ranch

Kilclooney More, Portnoo, Co. Donegal - Property.ie

A bigger ranch close to the beach

Tank Road, Ludden, Buncrana, Co. Donegal - Property.ie
Yup, our 700 sq ft flat in North Norfolk was 140,000. Certainly more expensive than it would have been in rural northern New York State, but a LOT cheaper than places we've looked at on Cape Cod!

A 10 x 9 ft. bedroom? Palatial, I'd say! Since a bed is about 6x5, what are you going to do with all the extra space? Think small! Save the planet!
Old Jul 21st 2015, 4:14 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Robin @ post # 42...

its all relative isn't it in the fact before any of us emigrated some of us may have lived in a 2 up - 2 down 500sq'ft row house or semi.

Living in North America with the wide open spaces, value for money property, its likely returning expats may have difficulty adjusting to postage stamp size Britain.

Of course there are areas of the UK that are astounding with property value for money. Ireland is an option, as is the Isle of Barra especially if one wants seculsion & is the type to leave to go to the sun several months a year.

So many options

Owner Occupied Croft, 16 Eoligarry, Isle Of Barra HS9, 2 bedroom detached house for sale - 37148542 | PrimeLocation

Isle of Barra properties for sale | Buy houses & flats in Isle of Barra | PrimeLocation

Great place for outdoor life, fresh air, the sea & seafood

http://www.visitscotland.com/en-ca/i.../barra-p238701

play the video in the official tourist link below

index

there are many other various youtube videos on this place

Last edited by not2old; Jul 21st 2015 at 4:17 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Robin @ post # 42...

So many options

Owner Occupied Croft, 16 Eoligarry, Isle Of Barra HS9, 2 bedroom detached house for sale - 37148542 | PrimeLocation

Isle of Barra properties for sale | Buy houses & flats in Isle of Barra | PrimeLocation

Great place for outdoor life, fresh air, the sea & seafood

Barra - VisitScotland

play the video in the official tourist link below

index

there are many other various youtube videos on this place

Not so good for:
Fresh food - the local supermarket (???) allocates 30% of shelves to alcohol.
Weather - very wet.
Nothing to do other than count sheep.
Getting to the mainland to buy essentials at reasonable prices - the ferry takes 5 hours when it is running - current strike problems.
The plane land on the beach when the tide is out and there is no sea mist.
There is no work and no chance of work unless you join the black economy and go fishing for prawns.
For the 1300 inhabitants inbreeding is endemic - one local priest had to leave because he got his cousin pregnant.
When the sun shines it is the most beautiful place on the planet with the perfect beaches and the bloody cold Atlantic.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 4:51 pm
Dichotomus tinker

cyrian @post #44

in a not so perfect world there are choices

4 bedroom detached house for sale in St Ninians Church Shore Road, Port Bannatyne, Isle of Bute, PA20, PA20

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-35484120.html

Last edited by not2old; Jul 21st 2015 at 5:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.