Letting

Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Default Re: Letting

Oh no Editha! That would be hard... See, that's why I prefer the way people rent here, mostly from the landlord themselves, less chance of miscommunication. Sorry that happened to you... And yes, Lucy is that dog... No sign of her in the house except her Kongs, food bowl, and a blankie she drags around like Linus. she doesn't do anything, she's so sweet. She doesn't even bark unless she's home alone and someone comes to the door, and if they go away again, she goes back and lies down again. I think she's "yelling" though the door that no one is home so go away! LOL!
Old Oct 1st 2014, 1:11 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we weren't the losers. Our tenants were. But, I was very annoyed with the letting agent, who was a lying rat. He claimed to me that he had not known when we were returning from Canada, even though I had emails that proved he was fibbing.

He also claimed that he'd never told the tenants they could stay long term. The tenants had told the neighbours that they were there to stay for years. They'd had a Sky satellite installed, erected a garden shed and vented the cooker hood through the outside wall, put up new curtains and curtain poles, and decorated three rooms. Nobody does that for a ten month tenancy.

I gave the tenants some money towards the work they had done on the house, gave them back the fittings they'd left behind and also gave them our tumble-drier because we don't use one. And I tore a strip off the letting agent.

If I ever let out property again, I may use a letting agent, but I will also make sure I communicate with my tenants myself, from time to time, to make sure everything is OK.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Try a small letting agent who has started their own agency after having worked for a large chain.
Some will work a little harder for you and present your case to the landlord rather than just trot out the standard "no pets" line .
Old Oct 1st 2014, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Editha

If I ever let out property again, I may use a letting agent, but I will also make sure I communicate with my tenants myself, from time to time, to make sure everything is OK.
Wanna let to me? You sound like you learned a lot from the experience. Maybe we'll luck out and find ourselves a landlord who's gone through some same bad experience with an agency and want nice tennants like us and our pooch to come stay in their house. One can dream, right?

I think what's hardest for me right now is I can't even research as I have no idea where we'll be moving to... scary! Exciting, but scary.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Try a small letting agent who has started their own agency after having worked for a large chain.
Some will work a little harder for you and present your case to the landlord rather than just trot out the standard "no pets" line .
But how would I find out if they are the "little guys" trying to make their way, or some big guy? I find I'm treading water just to stay on top of the new lingo, new ways, new rules, ... and I'm not even THERE yet. !!! (maybe it'll be easier once I get there? Yes, let me believe that... I need to believe that. )
Old Oct 1st 2014, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
But how would I find out if they are the "little guys" trying to make their way, or some big guy? I find I'm treading water just to stay on top of the new lingo, new ways, new rules, ... and I'm not even THERE yet. !!! (maybe it'll be easier once I get there? Yes, let me believe that... I need to believe that. )
Look at the website a large chain will have several offices over a wide area.
A small independent will have one or two offices in one area. Ask what their experience in property management is.
Also look at the quality of properties they have to let, we have a good independent agent near us who is selective and will not accept run down badly maintained houses..
Old Oct 1st 2014, 9:32 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree that a small 'independent' agent will necessarily be more trustworthy. The agency I used is small and only has one branch. What is more they were recommended by someone on this forum, who knows the area and told me the owner of the firm is local.

I think the thing to do is to ask a lot of questions of the letting agent. If you are being spun a line the answers probably won't add up.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Editha
I don't agree that a small 'independent' agent will necessarily be more trustworthy. The agency I used is small and only has one branch. What is more they were recommended by someone on this forum, who knows the area and told me the owner of the firm is local.

I think the thing to do is to ask a lot of questions of the letting agent. If you are being spun a line the answers probably won't add up.
I agree 100% we had one local agent who was very much of the same stripe as the one you dealt with.

By the same token we have another who left a large chain and runs a superb agency.

You are correct ask a lot of questions. Personally I look at the properties they list if they are on the whole poor I steer well clear.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:18 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
Okay, not to raise a panic here, but can someone please encourage me that there are indeed properties to let in the UK? I am looking at the letting agency pages (mainly the ones LetswithPets recommend as we do have a labrador dog) and there are lettings listed, but they all are "let agreed" or "under offer" ?!?!

Someone suggested a private rental, but how do you find those? Hunny is leaving to go find work onSunday (pretty good feedback on his CV so far) but some articles are suggesting it can take up to two months to find a place to live, which he's not going to be able to commit to till he knows what city we are moving to... Which could take a bit. We all want to be there by Christmas, but is this even realistic?!

WOBBLES ALERT!!! Help?

Originally Posted by dunroving
For private lets, try Gumtree and spareroom.co.uk.
Did you see my post?

There has been a lot of talk in the thread about letting agents large and small, but private lets may be more flexible.

Try Gumtree or spareroom.co.uk. The latter isn't just for single rooms.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 12:44 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Or use rightmove, all estate and letting agents generally advertise through their too. You can see everything at once in one area.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rightmove has very few listings compared to Zoopla (thanks who suggested it!) and yes, dunroving, I will look on gumtree and spareroom... Especially for my husband once he finds work and is looking for possibly a room while he looks for a house for us. Thanks!
Blessings!
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 5:25 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Pondhopper - your husband could also try www.airbnb.com for a short term place to stay. We have used it all over the world when we were backpacking and then when we returned back to the UK until a rental was found. Some places only rent for a matter of days, some will allow you to stay longer. It's basically people renting out their spare rooms or sometimes whole houses/apartments to mainly tourists but no reason why you can't give it a go. Good thing about it (same goes for spareroom.com) is that your husband will be staying with locals so they will be able to help him out with local info, help him find his bearings etc.

Good luck with your plans
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

You know, thanks for reminding me POM, i had that book marked too and forgot about it for his stay there...
Toooooo much to think about!!!!