Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

"Let's Move To...." Series of Places to Live in the UK

"Let's Move To...." Series of Places to Live in the UK

Old Oct 9th 2011, 1:34 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb "Let's Move To...." Series of Places to Live in the UK

There are frequently threads started by expats who plan to return to the UK but not sure exactly where they might like to live.

"The Guardian" newspaper has an on-going series of articles with profiles and information on towns in the UK (and sometimes beyond). At the time of writing there are 181 towns listed:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/series/letsmoveto

It's interesting to read the comments below the articles from people who live in or have resided in those towns, some positive and some negative, to get a better picture of the characteristics of the towns.

I hope it helps with the initial information-gathering!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Let's Move To...." Series of Places to Live in the UK

Englishmum..I love the link I have bookmarked it really useful when you are not sure of where you want to live. Thankyou.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 7:06 am
Just Joined

mikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nice

I absolutely LOVE this, thank you so much for the link Englishmum
Old Oct 9th 2011, 8:49 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Great link, thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for sharing this link! Hubby is currently looking for work and where we'll end up is very much anyone's guess at the moment as he's got cv's in all over the place. I've seen about 3 of the potential communities listed on this site already so this site will be most helpful. Thanks again
Old Oct 9th 2011, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
There are frequently threads started by expats who plan to return to the UK but not sure exactly where they might like to live.

"The Guardian" newspaper has an on-going series of articles with profiles and information on towns in the UK (and sometimes beyond). At the time of writing there are 181 towns listed:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/series/letsmoveto

It's interesting to read the comments below the articles from people who live in or have resided in those towns, some positive and some negative, to get a better picture of the characteristics of the towns.

I hope it helps with the initial information-gathering!
We've been posting this Guardian article Let's move to on the Location Location Location thread for obvious reasons for the best part of eight months.

I posted the current item Tamar Valley yesterday morning.

Looks like it was a mostly wasted effort.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 9th 2011 at 1:32 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:37 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Great link - thanks. The second one on the list when I looked today was Peckham, South London
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
We've been posting this Guardian article Let's move to on the Location Location Location thread for obvious reasons for the best part of eight months.

Maybe it's because there are over 1400 posts in that thread - I'll be honest and say that I haven't been in there because that's a lot of catching up to try and do.

I don't think it was a wasted effort though - if it was, there wouldn't have been as many posts or views. Maybe it would be possible to categorise them geographically or something?
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Maybe it would be possible to categorise them geographically or something?
I've been wondering the same thing! There is actually a ton of great info but it is so buried in a few huge threads on here that it can be hard to access, some individual location threads on particular areas/Counties could be good.

Maybe we could have an Introduction thread too, as a newbie here I find it hard to keep track of who is who.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 4:17 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it was wasted effort, as has already been said there are so many posts in that thread that many wont have the time or inclination to plough through it all.
Great link by the way.

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2

Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:25 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think something is a 'wasted effort' just because someone else posts a different link on the same subject somewhere else.

I do love these Guardian pieces and read them every week. I think that guy has the best job!