Left at 15

Old Feb 13th 2017, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Nicolamichelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Left at 15

I left at 15 and have spent the 30 yrs in the US. After a divorce I want to go home and I am seriously thinking about settling back in England. If I left as a child can I work or get healthcare if I come back?
Old Feb 13th 2017, 9:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Left at 15

You were born in the UK, in or around 1972? If so, you must be a British citizen and all you need is a British passport and an airline ticket.

If you arrive in the UK with the intention of settling then you are covered immediately for NHS treatment without limitation - in practice you will need an address in the UK (can be temporary) so you can register with a GP (PCP).

You will need to apply for a National Insurance number as soon as possible after you arrive back in the UK as your employer will need it to deduct your taxes and you will need it for tax purposes too.

Prepare yourself for the same sort of shinanigans and nonsense to open a bank account as the US banks now force new account holders to go through. In other words take all the identification you can muster, but avoid anything that flags you as an American because many banks seem to be turning down accounts held by anyone connected to the USA.

Your US drivers license is acceptable for 12 months in the UK, but then you will have to take a British road test, which should not be underestimated. They are apparently typically now lasting 35-40 minutes and will include just about every junction type and every imaginable set-piece manoeuver, which you will have to complete more or less flawlessly. I usually recommend getting a few lessons in the first few months, to sharpen up your driving skills then take a first test about four months after you arrive - and expect to fail, because half of all road tests end in a fail. But then you will have time to practice more, and book another test (you must wait 30 days between tests, and might have to wait for a slot), and potentially repeat the cycle several times more before your US license ceases to be valid for driving in the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 13th 2017 at 9:31 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much ! Yes 1972, I have always kept an updated UK passport and the last time I was visiting I actually got my NI number (yay) but being a child when I left I don't really know what the NI is for !! I will be staying with my mother. Can I use her address for things? Ok so it may be difficult to open a bank account, never had problems here can you tell me what shenanigans I will occur so I can be prepared. Also I am not employed my living expenses are through other measures but I guess the NI is like a SS number here?

Last edited by Nicolamichelle; Feb 13th 2017 at 9:34 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 9:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicolamichelle
Thank you very much ! Yes 1972, I have always kept an updated UK passport and the last time I was visiting I actually got my NI number (yay) but being a child when I left I don't really know what the NI is for !! I will be staying with my mother. Can I use her address for things? Ok so it may be difficult to open a bank account, never had problems here can you tell me what shenanigans I will occur so I can be prepared. Also I am not employed my living expenses are through other measures.
Your NI number is just a British SSN, but unlike in the US, other businesses haven't tagged on and started using it as a de facto national ID number. Mostly you just need it for taxes.

You can use your mother's address, but you might have difficulty proving that it it your address, unless you can do something like switch a utility into your name, so you have a utility bill linking you to that address.

Banks just need to prove that they know who you are, so your passport and birth certificate would be a good start, plus something official, such as a utility bill, linking you to the address you're using. Go well prepared with those documents and you should be OK.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Ok cool, I can do that. I have all the paperwork and always bring it with me anyway. I'll just do something to have my name associated with that address and see where that goes.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 7:56 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You were born in the UK, in or around 1972? If so, you must be a British citizen and all you need is a British passport and an airline ticket.

If you arrive in the UK with the intention of settling then you are covered immediately for NHS treatment without limitation - in practice you will need an address in the UK (can be temporary) so you can register with a GP (PCP).

You will need to apply for a National Insurance number as soon as possible after you arrive back in the UK as your employer will need it to deduct your taxes and you will need it for tax purposes too.

Prepare yourself for the same sort of shinanigans and nonsense to open a bank account as the US banks now force new account holders to go through. In other words take all the identification you can muster, but avoid anything that flags you as an American because many banks seem to be turning down accounts held by anyone connected to the USA.

.......UK.
i don't think this is good advice, the bank needs to know if a potential customer is a US person as they have important reporting responsibilities. There's a simple form to fill out, all new applicants for an account have to fill it out. It states something like ... "I'm a taxpayer in the following countries.." So I (for instance) filled out a line for UK and US, and gave my NI number and my SS number. I think it's pretty routine now, and I wouldn't want to be a customer of a British bank that didn't have a routine procedure in place.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
i don't think this is good advice, the bank needs to know if a potential customer is a US person as they have important reporting responsibilities. There's a simple form to fill out, all new applicants for an account have to fill it out. It states something like ... "I'm a taxpayer in the following countries.." So I (for instance) filled out a line for UK and US, and gave my NI number and my SS number. I think it's pretty routine now, and I wouldn't want to be a customer of a British bank that didn't have a routine procedure in place.
Interesting, I hadn't thought about it like that. If British banks have got past the "no Americans/ we'll close accounts held by Americans" approach of recent years then that can only be a good thing from the point of view of being a customer.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Interesting, I hadn't thought about it like that. If British banks have got past the "no Americans/ we'll close accounts held by Americans" approach of recent years then that can only be a good thing from the point of view of being a customer.
Exactly. I think there's a certain breed of " Oh no, the sky is falling, I'm a victim of US and international bureaucracy" type expats, who don't want to believe that the banks have accepted this, put simple procedures in place, and are boringly getting on with business & providing services to customers. When I opened an account at a British bank last year (M&S Bank) I told the account rep that I was a US citizen and taxpayer. She said, OK, I have another couple of forms for you to fill out. (Only real downside was I had to hear the long version of her sister lives in Florida etc.)
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:46 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Only real downside was I had to hear the long version of her sister lives in Florida etc

After living in the UK for 14 months, I've yet to meet even one person who hasn't been to Australia, whose son/daughter/niece/nephew/neighbor/milkman hasn't been to Australia, or who hasn't always wanted to live in Australia.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 4:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Only real downside was I had to hear the long version of her sister lives in Florida etc

After living in the UK for 14 months, I've yet to meet even one person who hasn't been to Australia, whose son/daughter/niece/nephew/neighbor/milkman hasn't been to Australia, or who hasn't always wanted to live in Australia.
Amazing isn't it! Every Tom Dick and Harry I talk to in England, is constantly going to America, has children who live in America, has a condo in Florida, etc. etc. If you ask me, the Americans need to think about tightening up on foreign visitors.. not sure if they've given any thought to that??
Old Feb 14th 2017, 4:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

I've been to Australia and will be going again later in the year.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 11:03 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Amazing isn't it! Every Tom Dick and Harry I talk to in England, is constantly going to America, has children who live in America, has a condo in Florida, etc. etc. If you ask me, the Americans need to think about tightening up on foreign visitors.. not sure if they've given any thought to that??
Don't get me started....
Old Feb 14th 2017, 11:04 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Old Feb 15th 2017, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In that case I suggest (avatar) you stop jumping and waving your arms and learn how to do handstands. I'm sure you are aware that Australians live upside down compared to UK dwellers.

Just kidding...have a great trip. Be careful about bringing foodstuff.... border/agriculture authorities are very suspicious...they don't need any more flies in Oz. OH! and bring your prescription for any medicine...they treat aspirin as a carcinogenic drug down there.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Banks sometimes expedite opening an account if you are introduced by mum or dad. Seriously ! It worked for my daughter ! I took her in vouched for her and filled in a form or signed something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.