Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Old Nov 25th 2017, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

As Robert Burns said “The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men gang aft a-gley”

Our original plan was to put the condo up for sale in January 2018. My husband came back in November from our time in Europe with significant knee pain. He’s had knee issues before but never complains about anything. Anyway x-rays show that both his knees are bone on bone. He’s now going to have 2 (not at the same time) total knee replacement surgeries.

I’m a little disappointed but delighted that my husband will hopefully be getting relief from pain.

Still hoping for a 2018 return to Scotland.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 12:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Those surgeries are very good now - like getting new joints, practically. My otherwise worthless former husband got a shiny new titanium hip in Mexico (he needed one relatively young due to a car accident when he was in his twenties that smashed his hip pretty badly) and it gave him a whole new life. I'm sure your husband will enjoy his knees.

Well done on getting back to Scotland. My son is going to uni in the UK next year, and I very much want to move back to the UK - trying to make it work.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Lion in Winter - many thanks for the encouraging words about TKR surgery. My DH is hoping to get the 1st surgery scheduled for January, then a 3-month recovery, the 2nd surgery in April, another 3-month recovery, we’ll sell the condo and then move back.

Hope your son enjoys Uni in the UK. Also hope it works out one day for you to return. We’ve had over 30 wonderful years in Arizona. Now that we are retired and our sons are scattered geographically on 3 continents I can honor my yearning and return.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 5:37 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Another thumbs up for modern knee replacement surgery. My 84 year old mum had hers done 6 months ago in Australia, she's a new woman. That's a lie really, she's the same woman with no pain and a new knee
Old Nov 28th 2017, 5:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
Now that we are retired and our sons are scattered geographically on 3 continents I can honor my yearning and return.
And your husband will be ready to manage the hills
Old Nov 28th 2017, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

And ride a bicycle again without pain!!
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

I would just like to thank everyone again for this forum. I hesitated to join as I have never joined one before and I didn’t want to say the wrong thing. Everyone has been so supportive sharing their stories, wisdom and knowledge. Truly feel grateful. Thank you!!!
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:20 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I would just like to thank everyone again for this forum. I hesitated to join as I have never joined one before and I didn’t want to say the wrong thing. Everyone has been so supportive sharing their stories, wisdom and knowledge. Truly feel grateful. Thank you!!!
I'm so glad you joined Caroline, it's a pleasure to have you as a member and to chat with you.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 9:31 pm

And ride a bicycle again without pain!!
What, you mean they have fixed bike seats as well? Now that's what I call a hospital.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Happy New Year and best wishes to all of you for 2018!

It seems so strange to be able to say to myself “I’m returning to Scotland this year.” In previous years it’s been a hope, a dream, wishful thinking. Now it’s a reality and I’ve surprised myself by feeling completely overwhelmed today by all that is ahead of us before we get back there: my husband’s 2 knee surgeries, selling the condo, selling 2 vehicles, arranging accommodation in Scotland and shipping our goods. My DH feels the same today as he did yesterday! It’s just me that feels differently - in no way do I question our decision - it’s just the recognition of the steps ahead of us to make it happen! I’m posting this in the hope that someone else may have felt like this prior to moving back.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 9:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

i

It seems so strange to be able to say to myself “I’m returning to Scotland this year.” In previous years it’s been a hope, a dream, wishful thinking. Now it’s a reality and I’ve surprised myself by feeling completely overwhelmed today by all that is ahead of us before we get back there: my husband’s 2 knee surgeries, selling the condo, selling 2 vehicles, arranging accommodation in Scotland and shipping our goods. My DH feels the same today as he did yesterday! It’s just me that feels differently - in no way do I question our decision - it’s just the recognition of the steps ahead of us to make it happen! I’m posting this in the hope that someone else may have felt like this prior to moving back.
I suspect we all did, although we less than most. We only stayed in Canada as long as we did to maximise my pension.

Selling a condo and cars is no big deal and I encourage you consider shipping only very personal items, not furniture or other stuff.

It is immensely liberating to relieve yourself of all the tedious clutter accumulated over the many years.

But make sure you "ship" money.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Novocastrian - thanks for the encouraging words. Downsizing is definitely liberating and I have found it to be a process rather than an event. Many items that I thought I could never part with are no longer in my possession. Over the past 5 years I’ve passed on over 800 books and have kept just one.

In addition my DH is in the process of copying all digital photos and 8mm video cassettes onto a portable hard drive. We’re going to make 3 copies and give one to each of our sons.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It can seem daunting, but you will look back thinking "what was I so worried about". If you want some consolation, we went from making the decision on a Tuesday evening to flying four days later! Managed to sell pretty much everything we had in that time except the house which sold after we had made the move.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

I have received a shipping quote from Bournes for 8,750 pounds from Phoenix to Edinburgh. This is for door-to-door with a 20 foot sole use container. Does anyone know if this seems reasonable?
Old Jan 19th 2018, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

The quote also said that any applicable import duties or customs inspection fees are not included.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.