Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Old Nov 11th 2017, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
HKG3 thank you for the information. I’ve had a look at all the websites. Great to know about the Enbrel as it has made such a difference in my life since I started the medication several years ago. I am currently in remission from my RA. I had never heard of “Named Patient Basis” before. My plan is to move back to Scotland with 3 month’s supply of each drug - won’t be able to get more than that.

Every day I feel like I’m getting a step closer.
'Named patient basis' appears to be a scheme to allow UK doctors to prescribe medicine which is unlicensed for use in the UK.

I would suggest that you sign on at a GP practice as soon as you arrived in Scotland. Take a print out of the Thyroid UK webpage on 'named patient basis' for the GP.

I also manage to find (from google) the link below which shows how a Scottish Health Board (Lanarkshire) deals with 'named patient basis' requests.

http://www.medednhsl.com/sites/sites...22-04-2015.pdf
Old Nov 11th 2017, 6:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

HKG3 thank you for the information. I’ve had a look at all the websites. Great to know about the Enbrel as it has made such a difference in my life since I started the medication several years ago. I am currently in remission from my RA. I had never heard of “Named Patient Basis” before. My plan is to move back to Scotland with 3 month’s supply of each drug - won’t be able to get more than that.

Every day I feel like I’m getting a step closer.
Hopefully you'll be ok with your Enbrel. I have RA too and moved to the UK from Australia 2 years ago. A non-biologic DMARD such as methotrexate is the initial drug of choice of rheumatologists, then a combination of these drugs. If these are found to not be effective, one of the newer biologic DMARDS such as Enbrel can be prescribed.

It would be well worth your while to bring a letter from your US rheumatologist, confirming that the non-biologics aren't suitable for your condition and that the Enbrel has been so effective for you. The biologics are so much more expensive than the non-biologics, and while I don't know the situation in Scotland it's been my experience that medical professionals here in England are reluctant to prescribe higher priced drugs unless there's a confirmed, clinical need for them. Poor old NHS creaking at the seams and all that. They will prescribe them if clinically necessary though. Best of luck with the move back
Old Nov 11th 2017, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

HKG3 and spouse of scouse - thanks for the information and best wishes.

I have tried many non-biologics since being diagnosed with RA in 2002, including methotrexate (which caused lung issues) and now am only taking Enbrel. Before we retired in May of this year I asked my rheumatologist for a printout of all my records showing the different drugs that I had tried. Before we return next year I will be asking for a letter with a summary. She is a wonderful doctor and I know she will do whatever she can to make things easier for me and our return. I will miss her.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 12:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

HKG3 and spouse of scouse - thanks for the information and best wishes.

I have tried many non-biologics since being diagnosed with RA in 2002, including methotrexate (which caused lung issues) and now am only taking Enbrel. Before we retired in May of this year I asked my rheumatologist for a printout of all my records showing the different drugs that I had tried. Before we return next year I will be asking for a letter with a summary. She is a wonderful doctor and I know she will do whatever she can to make things easier for me and our return. I will miss her.
It's hard to leave a great doctor isn't it. I had a great rheumy in Oz but I nearly cried when I said goodbye to my GP. She still emails me to see how I'm getting on.

You've done great prep for your move, and you're obviously right across the need for evidence so I don't think you'll have any problems. I had to stop taking methotrexate too due to the side effects, it's a horrible drug.

People used to make me laugh when they said my RA would probably get worse in the UK - so many people don't know there's a huge difference between osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. I actually feel much better here, the heat of Australian summers was so draining and I'm loving the cooler weather in the North West.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Spouse of scouse - we seem to have been on a similar journey. I am not at all concerned about the weather in Scotland. I have been too hot for 6 months a year for a long, long time. This summer when we were back in Scotland we stayed in St Andrews for a month (I went to university there). I was so joyful being in cooler weather that I was literally twirling in the streets - my husband got used to me spontaneously dancing all over the place. Many thanks for the encouraging words.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

I have been investigating National Insurance catch-up contributions. I currently have 8 full years from time worked in Scotland and England prior to coming to Arizona. With the proposed abolition of Class 2 contributions does anyone know how this will impact someone (ie me) living abroad who is going to make a catch-up contribution for the past 6 years? If this has been discussed elsewhere please would you provide me the appropriate location. Thank you.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I have been investigating National Insurance catch-up contributions. I currently have 8 full years from time worked in Scotland and England prior to coming to Arizona. With the proposed abolition of Class 2 contributions does anyone know how this will impact someone (ie me) living abroad who is going to make a catch-up contribution for the past 6 years? If this has been discussed elsewhere please would you provide me the appropriate location. Thank you.
My wife contacted them in February this year and was very pleasantly surprised to find many more years in her record than she expected as she had full year credits for her 4 years in college plus 6 full years after she stopped work in 1981 to be a stay at home mum. (We had 2 children). She called and asked about paying back years and was given the option of paying 11 years of back contributions at the Class 3 level. It still took several phone calls and letters but 2 months ago she finally got the letter with the payment details, paid it and only this week did the credits hit her record. She had also been paying voluntary contributions via DD through the bank and they stopped 2 months ago so she now has to call them again to find out why that has happened and get them started again. She is age 62 today and will have 31 years by the time she is eligible for the OAP.

This is the site with the links and numbers needed to investigate your contributions record and pension estimate. A few years ago when I went through this I was only able to pay 6 years back payments.

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits

There has been a recent thread here discussing Class 2 going away.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...utions-874408/
Old Nov 24th 2017, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

durham_lad - many thanks indeed for the reply and especially the link to the Class 2 discussion. I have lots of reading ahead of me. Happy Birthday to your wife as well.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

durham_lad - many thanks indeed for the reply and especially the link to the Class 2 discussion. I have lots of reading ahead of me. Happy Birthday to your wife as well.
Happy reading, Happy Thanksgiving, and good luck. Do let us know here how you get on as we all learn a lot from these shared experiences.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

On a very happy note my renewed UK passport arrived on Wednesday - a mere 15 days after mailing all the paperwork from Phoenix.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

On a very happy note my renewed UK passport arrived on Wednesday - a mere 15 days after mailing all the paperwork from Phoenix.
I’m sure that was very satisfying, congratulations.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

My head is spinning after reading the complete NI Class 2 thread and doing my best to process it. This is my summary. Please correct me if anything is wrong.

1. Fill out a CF83 form
2. Attach a separate sheet of paper with UK employment information
3. Expect to make phone calls
4. Expect delays

When you return from the USA to the UK do your voluntary contributions change from Class 2 to Class 3?
Old Nov 25th 2017, 1:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

My head is spinning after reading the complete NI Class 2 thread and doing my best to process it. This is my summary. Please correct me if anything is wrong.

1. Fill out a CF83 form
2. Attach a separate sheet of paper with UK employment information
3. Expect to make phone calls
4. Expect delays .....
It takes about two months to be approved to pay Class 2, and current year plus six years arrears comes to very slightly over £1,000. I only made one phonecall and that was before I sent my application form to Newcastle.

Get your skates on to make sure you can pay before the end of the tax year in early April, otherwise another year will slip through your fingers.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Pulaski - a phone call is going to be the first thing we do
Old Nov 25th 2017, 2:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pulaski ....
You're welcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.