Landing to homelessness

Old Aug 30th 2014, 4:54 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing to homelessness

I know you said you cut ties with friends back home, but how severely did you do that? I'm not saying you could turn up on their doorstep with sleeping bag in hand but they might sub you dinner? Has anyone mentioned youth hostels until you get a job? How about your family in Oz I think they were? Can they lend you the money you need to see you through?

Good luck...what a horrible predicament to be in
Old Aug 30th 2014, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is not what most people want but what about bedding down for a week or two with the Salvation Army once you get to London?
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Do hostels still exist? That's an option.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

United Kingdom and Ireland Territory - Homeless people

they certainly can help!
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

While on my daily walk I bought a coffee for the old bloke who lives in the lytch gate of a local cemetery extension. Thinking about him and your predicament on the way home I wonder if you have considered a tent? I knew a family back in Canberra who managed for about 3 months in a tent on a local camping ground. You could get somewhere quite close to a middling size town/city which would give you chance to get started on the employment ladder. Also Gumtree is a really good resource for accommodation and employment for short termers.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=quoll;11387908]While on my daily walk I bought a coffee for the old bloke who lives in the lytch gate of a local cemetery extension. QUOTE]

Old Sep 2nd 2014, 8:00 am
Just Joined

mikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nice

An alternative approach:

http://www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk
Go to Noticeboard

Permaculture Magazine | practical solutions for self-reliance
Scroll down to Opportunities

http://www.wwoof.org.uk/

Good Luck, I really hope it all works out for you

Last edited by mikkijan; Sep 2nd 2014 at 8:38 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Holymoog is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just joined this forum because I feel compelled to reply to this thread and give you some solid information. Your visa status isn't something that I understand. Here are some pointers on how to get a roof over your head from day one. Of course, it depends upon where you want to go.

Presumably you're not from a hospitality background? There are live-in jobs available in hotels and pubs all over the UK. Competition in London is high and usually you need to be available within a day or two for an interview. Websites: gumtree.com and workabout.uk.com are good.

In 2 months time it's the start of Christmas season for Shearings Holidays, though hospitality work is minimal for a while beyond New Year. They possibly hire directly from overseas.

Jobs.lady.co.uk might be worth keeping an eye on. You never know. Sometimes an elderly man in Knightsbridge needs someone to do his shopping in exchange for free accommodation - that kind of thing.

Wwoof.org.uk has listings of voluntary work a few hours per day in exchange for a bed and sometimes board. Emphasis on organic farms. Workaway.info has a variety of opportunities. Hostels sometimes exchange cleaning for a couple of hours with a bed. Perhaps you could find paid work too.

Couchsurfing.com - plenty of charitable souls on the planet.

Once you're there, with a duvet to snuggle under, get chatting to everyone.

Good luck!
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Holymoog is an unknown quantity at this point

O! Whatever area you want to go, telephone all the hotels, pubs and restaurants directly.