Lack of UK credit history

Old Jul 10th 2017, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Abercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lack of UK credit history

Hi everyone - firstly can I say what a great forum this is for help and advice! My family is moving back to the UK from Australia next year (I am British). When it comes to things like renting a flat, getting credit cards, getting a car loan etc - what have people found re not having a credit history in the UK? Thanks
Old Jul 10th 2017, 8:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lack of UK credit history

Originally Posted by Abercrombie123
Hi everyone - firstly can I say what a great forum this is for help and advice! My family is moving back to the UK from Australia next year (I am British). When it comes to things like renting a flat, getting credit cards, getting a car loan etc - what have people found re not having a credit history in the UK? Thanks
Not too sure about the car loan, but if you can offer to pay 6 months rental up front then most people have not had a problem. When you get to the UK you do need to sign on the electoral roll for where you are living almost all credit checks will use this as part of the check, get yourself a credit card, use it and pay it off every month, your credit score will soon improve.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 8:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved your thread over to our main UK forum. Please note the Immigration forum is for questions about visas and citizenship only.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Abercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond repute

ok thanks - and sorry!
Old Jul 10th 2017, 9:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

ok thanks - and sorry!

No problem...I realise you are a new member.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

M0zza is on a distinguished road

No idea about renting, but if you can prove income and perhaps some savings I am sure that will help.

We found that nobody is going to give out credit unless you have been resident in the country for previous two (or could have been three) years. Getting a mortgage likely to be easier than getting a credit card as at least that is secured debt.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:53 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M0zza
No idea about renting, but if you can prove income and perhaps some savings I am sure that will help.

We found that nobody is going to give out credit unless you have been resident in the country for previous two (or could have been three) years. Getting a mortgage likely to be easier than getting a credit card as at least that is secured debt.
Don't think that is correct, if you open a bank account, then get their own credit card you should be OK especially if they can see you are getting your salary paid into their account. Mortgage ALWAYS relies on a credit check, so getting that started should be a first step, as I said offering 6 months up front is usually the best way.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Thanks - when you say "mortgage relies on a credit check so pay 6 months up front", do you mean rent?
Also - do you have any ideas about things like car loans? And whether rentals / credit cards / car loans are trickier if monthly income is from self-employment? Thanks so much
Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Although Mike's quite right with the 6 months rent in advance thing, there's been other members who've had no problem in securing rentals with just the ordinary 1 month deposit. Some letting agents and landlords won't touch people without a positive credit check, while others are more flexible. It's really just a case of, if you see a property you like call the agent/landlord and ask the question.

Another way to build a credit rating is to get a pay-as-you go mobile plan.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Great - thank you all again! So useful to hear from others who have been through the same experiences.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 9:47 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Great - thank you all again! So useful to hear from others who have been through the same experiences.
You're welcome! I was helped so much here, don't know what I would have done without all the advice I got re my visa. It's nice to give something back
Old Jul 11th 2017, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Another way to build a credit rating is to get a pay-as-you go mobile plan.
Really? I have pay-as-you go and never gave my SSN so I do not think it reports to a credit agency.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 11:36 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Really? I have pay-as-you go and never gave my SSN so I do not think it reports to a credit agency.
Several members have mentioned that this was successful for them. I don't think the UK has social security numbers?
Old Jul 11th 2017, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

National Insurance Number (NINO) in the UK.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 12:06 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by scot47
National Insurance Number (NINO) in the UK.
Ah yes, ta Scot. I didn't have to provide a NI number either, which is just as well because I don't have one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.