Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

kids coming back to uk, student fees

kids coming back to uk, student fees

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant future
Default kids coming back to uk, student fees

We have been in calgary. For 5 years, Husband done well in career, I have mostly enjoyed the time, but we got to thinking about our retirement, in say 9 years time. Dh has always said he didn, t connect with anybody here, he had a few friends in uk, he hates the winter and broke his leg badly skiing 2 yrs ago -we will not be doing any winter sports etc.He has said quite often, but I had not listened, the country is too big, driving too much. The kids have been ok, then my daughter age 16, went to uk on her own a few weeks ago. We told her when she came back that we were wanting to go back to uk when retired. Her reaction amazed us, she felt she never wants to be in another country from us, always wants us in her life, we should go back now so she and her younger brother can be resettled, finish school uni, and she listed tons of wonderful things about the uk.

So we are in uk doing a school investigation, private schools in yorkshire, trying 3 different school taster days in. A week, guess what they both loved the first school (strong 1st runner).Well,grace will be in lower 6th in sept 2013, looks like we will have to pay int student fees, if she does social arts course, how much extra would that be? I don, t know how to get around this, she has 2 years of further ed to go.

I am worried about dh trying to get job, in banking, he will use his contacts, but will not be earning the salary he is in canada. But we may do well through the curr exchange, I feel this move is a little early for me and dh, but daughter has. Got good points, ix it best to go back now, as a complete family, but unsure of house sale and job, I can see timing to start a levels in sept, and gcses for son , would be easier than try to move in 2 years, son, starting a levels and daughter starting uni

I miss my mum too, she is not in brilliant health, puts a brave face on it, but I would love to look after her in the short term, she is 81, if I wait another 2 yrs , will that be time wasted .

Sue
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:44 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kids coming back to uk, student fees

If she took a gap year after finishing 6th form she'll have been there 3 years so will pay local rates.
It's supposed to be that she will have been in UK for three year by the start date of the Uni course.
Has your Dh tried looking at jobs while you are there?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Sewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
If she took a gap year after finishing 6th form she'll have been there 3 years so will pay local rates.
It's supposed to be that she will have been in UK for three year by the start date of the Uni course.
Has your Dh tried looking at jobs while you are there?
Hmm, I had thought about a gap year, but it was suggested by new head that it has to be a meaningful year, and does that have to be spe
nt in uk ? What should she do that is meaningful? (So not bumming around ski resorts in europe, but she has got ski instructors certs)r
should she spend 3 years at school, say one year to get lacking gcse certs, then 2 years a levels, or 2 years doing a levels, then another 1 year getting more as levels, but actually, that will cost me another 12 grand. Do int student fees last every year, ie 3 years of uni ?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sewing Susan
Hmm, I had thought about a gap year, but it was suggested by new head that it has to be a meaningful year, and does that have to be spe
nt in uk ? What should she do that is meaningful? (So not bumming around ski resorts in europe, but she has got ski instructors certs)r
should she spend 3 years at school, say one year to get lacking gcse certs, then 2 years a levels, or 2 years doing a levels, then another 1 year getting more as levels, but actually, that will cost me another 12 grand. Do int student fees last every year, ie 3 years of uni ?
Dh is writing his bio, apparently thats the new cv! He has still got quite a few contacts in uk, and bank has got satalite office in london, he is going to have word with boss in few weeks time, that would be brilliant if he could get transfer, but also thinking of contacting. Other canadia n banks with uk offices, he won, t up sticks and just leave,
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that the international fees last for the duration of the course. They seem to be around the 12-13,000 mark, depending on course and institution.

I would have thought that a gap year spent doing something is better than staying at school, and can't see why she couldn't teach at a ski resort. A lot of kids seem to go abroad for the gap year. Just a guess though.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My understanding is that the international fees last for the duration of the course. They seem to be around the 12-13,000 mark, depending on course and institution.

I would have thought that a gap year spent doing something is better than staying at school, and can't see why she couldn't teach at a ski resort. A lot of kids seem to go abroad for the gap year. Just a guess though.
The 12k is that plus 9k
( home student ) or instead of ? Ie making it about 3k more ?
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

My brother had a gap year to avoid international fees and I seem to recall he had to spend most of it in the uk. It was over a decade ago so my memory is a little hazy and rules may have changed.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The 12k is that plus 9k
( home student ) or instead of ? Ie making it about 3k more ?
Instead of.
Originally Posted by Almo
My brother had a gap year to avoid international fees and I seem to recall he had to spend most of it in the uk. It was over a decade ago so my memory is a little hazy and rules may have changed.
Ah I see what you mean, to keep residency. I hadn't thought of that.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

We have been in calgary. For 5 years, Husband done well in career, I have mostly enjoyed the time, but we got to thinking about our retirement, in say 9 years time. Dh has always said he didn, t connect with anybody here, he had a few friends in uk, he hates the winter and broke his leg badly skiing 2 yrs ago -we will not be doing any winter sports etc.He has said quite often, but I had not listened, the country is too big, driving too much. The kids have been ok, then my daughter age 16, went to uk on her own a few weeks ago. We told her when she came back that we were wanting to go back to uk when retired. Her reaction amazed us, she felt she never wants to be in another country from us, always wants us in her life, we should go back now so she and her younger brother can be resettled, finish school uni, and she listed tons of wonderful things about the uk.

So we are in uk doing a school investigation, private schools in yorkshire, trying 3 different school taster days in. A week, guess what they both loved the first school (strong 1st runner).Well,grace will be in lower 6th in sept 2013, looks like we will have to pay int student fees, if she does social arts course, how much extra would that be? I don, t know how to get around this, she has 2 years of further ed to go.

I am worried about dh trying to get job, in banking, he will use his contacts, but will not be earning the salary he is in canada. But we may do well through the curr exchange, I feel this move is a little early for me and dh, but daughter has. Got good points, ix it best to go back now, as a complete family, but unsure of house sale and job, I can see timing to start a levels in sept, and gcses for son , would be easier than try to move in 2 years, son, starting a levels and daughter starting uni

I miss my mum too, she is not in brilliant health, puts a brave face on it, but I would love to look after her in the short term, she is 81, if I wait another 2 yrs , will that be time wasted .

Sue
I would suggest moving with the children fairly soon, since they want to go. You probably would not want to do this, but could your husband remain behind in his job until he could secure something else in the UK? Would be worth it in the long run to have the children settled. It would be much harder for you later on if they decided they didn't want to go.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Obviously the precise fees depend on the course. Science courses tend to cost more. As an example, my daughter is doing an Animal Behaviour degree which usually costs 9K, for which we are paying international fees of 16K. First year accommodation is around 5K, living expenses around 5K.

The other critical factor is that if you have to pay international fees then you are not eligible for the student loans. Of course these eventually have to be paid back (if you are earning more than a certain amount), but they really help with the cash flow!!

The UCAS website is an excellent resource when you want to start looking at unis and courses. Good Luck, it does sound that now is a good time to move.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'll play Devil's Advocate. It's a pretty bold and big step to leave a secure lifestyle on the whims of a 16 year old. Yes, I know that wouldn't be the only reason for going back, but it is the reason you're thinking of a quick move back, rather than the 2 years which would suit you better. If you stay where you are for 2 years, take the time to plan the move and for your husband to secure a transfer or decent job, and then move back when Grace is ready to start Uni, she could get a part time job to help with the cost of her Uni fees.

It's just another perspective Susan, don't mean to sound horrible or anything! But kids change their minds like they change their mobiles so I'd be thinking about how I'd feel if Grace decided not to go to Uni at all. Good luck with whatever you decide :-)
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'll play Devil's Advocate. It's a pretty bold and big step to leave a secure lifestyle on the whims of a 16 year old. Yes, I know that wouldn't be the only reason for going back, but it is the reason you're thinking of a quick move back, rather than the 2 years which would suit you better. If you stay where you are for 2 years, take the time to plan the move and for your husband to secure a transfer or decent job, and then move back when Grace is ready to start Uni, she could get a part time job to help with the cost of her Uni fees.

It's just another perspective Susan, don't mean to sound horrible or anything! But kids change their minds like they change their mobiles so I'd be thinking about how I'd feel if Grace decided not to go to Uni at all. Good luck with whatever you decide :-)
Oh thankyou for your replys. I am in a real tiss. Mil doesn, t want us to stay with her at all, ( she lives near one of the schools. ) grace likes the first school , ed may struggle , he has HfA, went to see a long term friend last night, she told it how she saw it, shouldn, t have left uk in first place, howcould I have left my mother, how can I retufn now and potentially split the family up ? Says the whole family should stay together where ever that is, and how could I think of coming over a few months at a time to look after my mother and leave my family in canada, bottom line, she thinks I have made all the wrong decisions, and the future decisions aren, t clever either. I was so upset, sat up and cried most on night.

Take on board about uni, I had suggested to daughter she stay in canada till british uni, then she will be setting up on her own anyway, ie in residence etc. I think my son would struggle in a levels in uk, if we started in 2 years. I wish dh hubby had come too.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thankyou for your replys. I am in a real tiss. Mil doesn, t want us to stay with her at all, ( she lives near one of the schools. ) grace likes the first school , ed may struggle , he has HfA, went to see a long term friend last night, she told it how she saw it, shouldn, t have left uk in first place, howcould I have left my mother, how can I retufn now and potentially split the family up ? Says the whole family should stay together where ever that is, and how could I think of coming over a few months at a time to look after my mother and leave my family in canada, bottom line, she thinks I have made all the wrong decisions, and the future decisions aren, t clever either. I was so upset, sat up and cried most on night.

Take on board about uni, I had suggested to daughter she stay in canada till british uni, then she will be setting up on her own anyway, ie in residence etc. I think my son would struggle in a levels in uk, if we started in 2 years. I wish dh hubby had come too.
Oh Susan, you poor love! Over there without your husband, running around trying to please everyone, and then you get your 'friend' giving you a right royal serve!

For starters, I'd slap the friend Then I'd sit down with a cuppa and remind myself that I don't have to decide anything today, or tomorrow, or next bloody year if I don't want to! When you get back, you and your husband can talk all the possible scenarios through (without the kids piping up every 2 seconds, just you two!) and you will come to an agreement that is the best solution for you both. Your kids will be fine, they're not going be abandoned, out on the street, no food or shelter!!

Give yourself a break, forget about having to sort out the future in a few days on your own, and do something that you've been missing about the UK - bit of shopping, a walk, a cuppa and cake in a cafe...........above all, please remember that you don't need to decide the rest of yours and the kids futures in a few days. Sending you a big hug (and a big fat raspberry for you very inconsiderate friend!).
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The trouble with friends who haven't moved is that everything looks very simple to them. The move was right for you at the time and now you are making decisions about how you move forward.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Sorry it all sounds so difficult. It sounds like you can afford to pay private school fees? If not why not find a good state school which is free.
Your daughter could always get a job for a year when school finishes to take her to the 3 year mark. How about your son going back a year if you think he will struggle?
It sounds like your friend is not such a friend after all. We all do things with the best of intentions. We don't always get them right or maybe how we expected.
We moved to New Zealand with 3 children 6 years ago. We thought it would be a good move. It wasn't quite as we hoped so we decided to come back. Trouble was our daughter had just met a boy and asked us to wait to see how it went. So our oldest son finished year 13 and flew home to my sisters where he still lives and attends sixth form college.
3 years on my husband and youngest son left NZ last July ready for the start of the school year here in September. I stayed with our daughter while she finished school and sorted everything there.
I returned in December and we have left our lovely daughter in NZ attending Uni. She is still with the bf and we can only hope one day they choose to join us.
So we messed up big time as well, our family aren't together, but we are where we each want to be. We love being back and exploring Yorkshire.
Good luck with what you decide

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.