Irene

Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irene

Originally Posted by mandpete
Oh no, I never even gave that a thought. We have a sump pump, which has never had to kick in, in our finished basement but don't have a generator in case of an outage. It's too late to get one now, the stores sold out of all 'emergency supplies' two days ago.
No battery back up? The newer ones sometimes have one...the in-laws is donkeys old though.

The thunder has started to kick in around here just now...kind of fun...
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
No battery back up? The newer ones sometimes have one...the in-laws is donkeys old though.

No battery back up and too late to get one now. It is getting very dark here and the rain has started - local weather has just forecast 13.25 inches of rain on top of the wettest August on record..great.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

were in wilson nc, Its just passed us I think, were on the edge of the yellow bit.

http://www.witn.com/hurricane

High winds, lots fo rain but no power loss yet Some local flooding and trees are bending at the back of our house, hoping they dont come down.

Only got here weds, this is my first hurricane experience, thankfully doesnt look like it'll be too bad for us

http://wilsontimes.mycapture.com/myc...tegoryID=65496 some photos of the damage here in wilson. Some trees down and powerlines

Last edited by britishspouse; Aug 27th 2011 at 6:50 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:45 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

There have been massive lines in the stores in NYC the past few days. The shelves are nearly empty of water, batteries and candles. Parts of the city have to be evacuated. I just hope we all stay safe.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

We are 60 miles west of Richmond, lost power at 11.45am and it was restored at 2.25pm very fast response from Virginia Power. It is windy with some strong gusts and off and on rain but nothing like Fran and Isobel.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 7:35 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

I just discovered that the lovely big Maglite LED torch I bought a few months back has had its Duracell batteries leak inside it. Needless to say the Sproutlet learned some very rude Welsh words. Five shops later I finally found the only thing left, which was $25 headband LED thingies for me and Mrs tonrob. Ouch on the wallet, but we could easily be without power for days, and will probably be fun running around the house at night with them on!

We have a sump pump in the basement, and it definitely gets used (and the basement flooded by a few inches the other year when the old one expired). I am assuming that (a) we will lose power and (b) the basement will flood. I don't have any kind of generator, but I do have a Duracell thingy that is used to jump-start the car, and that has a 110v power socket on it. Not sure how long this would operate the pump for but I'll give it a whirl when the time comes.

Just watching the TV about mandatory evacuations in New Haven, CT. Irene is meant to make landfall in CT as a Cat 1 around 9am tomorrow, and then proceed directly northwards which will take the eye directly over us. If anyone's looking for me I'll be on the bog.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh guys, I hope everyone stays safe over the next 24/36 hours. Looks like it's path is heading straight for where we stay in Bethel, CT. We are, however, stranded in Florida at the end of our vacation and Jetblue can't get us on a flight until Friday. Today, I am so thankful for the wonderful friends we have made since we moved here last year, our neighbours have been to our house to secure as much as they can outside and will go and check the house over once the storm passes. I hope everyone can stay safe.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 8:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Brat1! Just got the code red here in my CT town, next door to yours, ordering people in low-lying flood zones to the shelter set up in the high school. The rain is intensifying, so time to pull the plug on the computer and fill the bathtub! Stay safe, everyone.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 10:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the small stores are closed...the large ones like Target etc are closing at 6 pm. They all seem to be closed tomorrow. Which makes sense as we are being told to keep off the roads except for emergency vehicles.

One good thing to come out of it...there were no lines at the check out in Costco this afternoon.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm wondering, if you are forcefully evacuated, are you allowed to bring your animals to the shelter with you? If not, what are you supposed to do with them?
Old Aug 27th 2011, 10:46 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I'm wondering, if you are forcefully evacuated, are you allowed to bring your animals to the shelter with you? If not, what are you supposed to do with them?
I noticed when they were showing shelters in NYC they had cages for animals and dog and cat food.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 10:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I noticed when they were showing shelters in NYC they had cages for animals and dog and cat food.
Many areas have relaxed the rules on pets because in the past people have lost their lives staying with pets. You have to produced proof of shots, have pets on a lead and they must be in a cage/carrier or be muzzled.

I was in PetCo this afternoon...a guy was wondering what to do with his 7ft monitor lizard and other large reptiles.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Most of the small stores are closed...the large ones like Target etc are closing at 6 pm. They all seem to be closed tomorrow. Which makes sense as we are being told to keep off the roads except for emergency vehicles.

One good thing to come out of it...there were no lines at the check out in Costco this afternoon.
My friend went to Costco here in NYC in the morning yesterday, He said the lines were unbelievable!
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

In some areas there is an alcohol ban after 8 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Amusingly enough, where we used to live, the road that always floods at the spit of rain hasn't flooded yet, but the other major main road has

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.