Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

Old Sep 21st 2012, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Sorry, what do you mean by this? How are furniture and clothes prices going to affect the cost of train travel and petrol?

They do not affect each other but combined they do affect the reported inflation rate.

Inflation is calculated on a range of items over a period, and takes into account the costs of many things, including furniture, clothing, petrol and diesel, and train tickets.
Statisticians add all these current prices together and compare the current total to the total from last period. The difference as a percent is the rise or fall in inflation.
So if sofas decreased in price but train travel went up then the inflation % would be pulled up or down by that change in price.

My point is the reported inflation rate is misleading and affects each person differently according to individual expenses.
An increase in essential train tickets will affect many on day to day basis and cost much more out of pocket than the price drop on a sofa which need only be bought once in a blue moon or never.

A lower inflation value this month means things didn't go up on average as much as they did last month, but remember, last months price increases are still there, they haven't gone away just because the increases were less this month.

Costs up 'only' 2.5% is still up on top of last months % whatever it was. Income isn't up for many.

Last edited by J.JsOH; Sep 21st 2012 at 9:39 am.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:01 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
They do not affect each other but combined they do affect the reported inflation rate.

Inflation is calculated on a range of items over a period, and takes into account the costs of many things, including furniture, clothing, petrol and diesel, and train tickets.
Statisticians add all these current prices together and compare the current total to the total from last period. The difference as a percent is the rise or fall in inflation.
So if sofas decreased in price but train travel went up then the inflation % would be pulled up or down by that change in price.

My point is the reported inflation rate is misleading and affects each person differently according to individual expenses.
An increase in essential train tickets will affect many on day to day basis and cost much more out of pocket than the price drop on a sofa which need only be bought once in a blue moon or never.

A lower inflation value this month means things didn't go up on average as much as they did last month, but remember, last months price increases are still there, they haven't gone away just because the increases were less this month.

Costs up 'only' 2.5% is still up on top of last months % whatever it was. Income isn't up for many.
Gotcha! I probably wont feel the gain of this 2.5% fall seeing as I wont be getting a payrise anytime soon and will have to fork out more money for train tickets in January.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:25 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH

Yep, our union just published figures showing our salary has decreased by just under 12% in real terms ("purchasing power", if you will) over the past 3 years, I think it was (next to nothing in pay rises, while COL has risen). In the meantime, benefits have risen in line with inflation.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:37 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

I know there's not been much of a pay rise for many because of the government cuts but a few months back inflation was running above 5% so the drop to 2.5% is at least half of what it was, which is better than nothing, true it means most are losing year on year due to the gap in inflation and wages rises, the UKs working population are doing it tough at moment that's for sure.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yep, our union just published figures showing our salary has decreased by just under 12% in real terms ("purchasing power", if you will) over the past 3 years, I think it was (next to nothing in pay rises, while COL has risen). In the meantime, benefits have risen in line with inflation.
Off topic. One of my major rants. "If they don't make the differential between what people receive for working much larger than what they can receive on benefits then you will never achieve prosperity."

On topic: Purchasing power in real terms is more significant to the individual than inflation figures. And how many times have inflation figures been massaged over the years?
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:57 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

That famous quote about lying:

"There's lies, damned lies and statistics."
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:20 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Good news, the rate of inflation has come down in the UK and unemployment has also been coming down over the last few months, there's still a long way to go before we get back to where we were a few years ago, but still it's looking better.
UK government borrowing rises to record August high -

Blow for George Osborne as latest figures mean deficit has widened 22% so far this year – compared with target of 4.6% reduction

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...rd-august-high
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:27 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Zen10
UK government borrowing rises to record August high -

Blow for George Osborne as latest figures mean deficit has widened 22% so far this year – compared with target of 4.6% reduction

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...rd-august-high

Cheers for that, I am struggling to find out the real truth behind all the figures TBH I heard him say that the trillion pound deficit had been reduced by 25% the other day, which is £250 Billion pounds, but then I read he had borrowed more than the last Labour government, I can't follow what's going on, do you think the cuts are working?
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what the correct statistics are, but until the deficit is eradicated completely, and a surplus is maintained, the debt will continue to grow. That is the scariest part.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:41 pm
Banned

I don't know what the correct statistics are, but until the deficit is eradicated completely, and a surplus is maintained, the debt will continue to grow. That is the scariest part.

That's what I'm saying, is it coming down, I'm sure I heard Osbourne say it had been reduced by 25% already.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:36 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
That's what I'm saying, is it coming down, I'm sure I heard Osbourne say it had been reduced by 25% already.
No, I'm sure he's not talking about the debt ... surely? No, not possible.

I think most of the population doesn't realise the difference, which helps politicians when they say "We have reduced the deficit" - people think this is great, but all it means is that we are sinking into increasingly horrific debt at a slightly slower rate than we were. The size of the debt isn't going down, it's going up, but at a slower rate ... anyone feel free to correct me.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:39 pm
Banned

No, I'm sure he's not talking about the debt ... surely? No, not possible.

I think most of the population doesn't realise the difference, which helps politicians when they say "We have reduced the deficit" - people think this is great, but all it means is that we are sinking into increasingly horrificdebt at a slightly slower rate than we were. The size of the debt isn't going down, it's going up, but at a slower rate ... anyone feel free to correct me.
I have fallen for that centuries old trick of believing what a politician is saying, I feel a bit daft now, alright a lot daft, he said brazenly it had come down by 25% but then I heard borrowing had gone up, should have known.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:33 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Gotcha! I probably wont feel the gain of this 2.5% fall seeing as I wont be getting a payrise anytime soon and will have to fork out more money for train tickets in January.
its not falling inflation is rising at 2.5%..so general items are 2.5% higher than they were..if you have no salary increase then you are worse off by 2.5% in general terms
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
its not falling inflation is rising at 2.5%..so general items are 2.5% higher than they were..if you have no salary increase then you are worse off by 2.5% in general terms

I know your right, it's still better than 5% last year though.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 3:07 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Actually, you're worse off by 2.44%, but close enough (your salary will only buy 97.56% of what it did if things cost 102.5% of their previous price).

Either way, we're all slowly going to hell in a handbasket (but it could be worse - we still enjoy a pretty decent standard of living compared to many countries).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.