Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:36 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all
Default Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

Good news, the rate of inflation has come down in the UK and unemployment has also been coming down over the last few months, there's still a long way to go before we get back to where we were a few years ago, but still it's looking better.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:40 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

If only the same would happen with rail travel!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012...s-rise-january
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:45 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually dropped back to 2.5% which is great news indeed. As you say unemployment also dropping. Many analysts here are unsure whether the country is actually even in recession because the numbers just dont add up. Where we are at least there doesnt seem to be any 'feeling' of being in a recession.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:58 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you Chris955! I got made redundant (cut backs) and have only been able to find part time work after 6 months of unemployment. Doesn't help being in London where everything seems shockingly expensive especially when one doesn't earn a full time salary and have to catch the train to work.

People working in the public sector will be feeling it - pensions being taken away, no pay rises etc. I do believe teachers will be striking soon due to pay and conditions and it's probably only a matter of time before tube workers are at it again! Ohhh happy days!
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:15 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there is no doubt times are tough for some. I just returned from Queensland where they are now experiencing the same issues with 1000's of public service workers being laid off with literally a moments notice, it isnt good.
I personally wouldnt live or work in London as much as I love the place to visit.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:23 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Lol, yeah I meant 2.5% Lol.

I do think there are signs that the UK is going in the right direction at last.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:26 am
Banned

Yes absolutely. It is why I laugh when people say something like 'Britain is broken beyond repair' If you want to leave then leave but dont try to justify it with nonsense to make yourself feel better.

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Lol, yeah I meant 2.5% Lol.

I do think there are signs that the UK is going in the right direction at last.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:26 am
She'll be right

I'm afraid to say I agree with you on that one! I wouldn't recommend living in London to anyone at the moment unless you have a high salary and can afford a good standard of living. It's just too difficult to maintain yourself here at the moment. Great place to visit but a different story living here. I wish I had a little more choice but jobs are scarce in my field and I was given a good opportunity here. Which is why my working holiday visa for New Zealand shall be with me soon and I will be off early next year :-)
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:51 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
If only the same would happen with rail travel!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012...s-rise-january
I've just moved to a new work location that makes it more straightforward (schedules stink, but the route is more straightforward) to catch public transport. After doing the calculations, I realised that the cost of catching the bus or train is actually more than the costs of petrol, wear and tear, and parking! Not sure how the government can expect to reduce car use when public transport is so expensive.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 12:11 pm
She'll be right

Originally Posted by dunroving
I've just moved to a new work location that makes it more straightforward (schedules stink, but the route is more straightforward) to catch public transport. After doing the calculations, I realised that the cost of catching the bus or train is actually more than the costs of petrol, wear and tear, and parking! Not sure how the government can expect to reduce car use when public transport is so expensive.
Couldn't agree more! Lift shares are becoming more and more popular. What a crazy place we live in where it's cheaper to buy a car, insure it, tax it, pay for fuel and pay for repairs rather than catching the train...
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure that this knowledgeable group isn't fooled by the 'good' news that the rate is lower than it was in previous months.

Lower costs of furniture and clothing have offset increases in rail travel and petrol in the period.

Hmmm, I buy a sofa once every 15 yrs or so, clothes a couple times a year maybe, but I drive my car quite a few times a week and travel often by rail too.

No surprise then that I'm not overly excited about the new lower inflation figures.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 4:13 pm
She'll be right

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Lower costs of furniture and clothing have offset increases in rail travel and petrol in the period.
Sorry, what do you mean by this? How are furniture and clothes prices going to affect the cost of train travel and petrol?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 4:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Sorry, what do you mean by this? How are furniture and clothes prices going to affect the cost of train travel and petrol?
Inflation takes into account a "basket" of typical expenses. Some of these may not be relevant for many people. For example, if the change in inflation is due mainly to mortgage costs and you've paid yours off, it doesn't affect you.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

jbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nice

Inflation has been much stickier than anyone expected and I wouldn't bet on it continuing downwards. For example, there's going to be upwards pressure on food in the coming months following the drought in the US Midwest.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

2.5% isn't that great a figure when the Bank of England is supposed to be aiming for a figure of 2% pa. And when salary increases are still not keeping up with that rate of inflation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.