Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Increased luggage allowance

Increased luggage allowance

Old Jul 29th 2016, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Increased luggage allowance

We are a little way off from returning to the UK but just wondering if anyone who has done it, can give us any advice. Coming to NZ we got extra baggage allowance as we were emigrating. Anyone managed it the other way round? I feel that it must be possible.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 7:36 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Increased luggage allowance

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
We are a little way off from returning to the UK but just wondering if anyone who has done it, can give us any advice. Coming to NZ we got extra baggage allowance as we were emigrating. Anyone managed it the other way round? I feel that it must be possible.
Hi VS, hope you are ok. None offered the increase but if you fly Air NZ you can purchase up to 2 extra bags each for minimal cost which is what we did and very well worth it - so 6 suitcases, 2 x hand luggage, dog and cat and when Plymouth didnt work out we travelled Plymouth to Manchester squeezed into a car.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 1:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
Hi VS, hope you are ok. None offered the increase but if you fly Air NZ you can purchase up to 2 extra bags each for minimal cost which is what we did and very well worth it - so 6 suitcases, 2 x hand luggage, dog and cat and when Plymouth didnt work out we travelled Plymouth to Manchester squeezed into a car.
Thanks Sparkley. My preferred airline is Singapore but Air NZ are my second fave so that would be workable.
I've not been well since I returned from our holiday; coughing, labile temp, SoB etc. All bloods NAD, so it's obviously an allergy to NZ .

You need to PM me with your news!!!!!
Old Aug 1st 2016, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, When we returned from Aus at the time of booking with the Airline I informed them we were migrating to the UK we were told it was 30kgs each for luggage, most of our clothes were very lightweight anyway lol the most we needed in winter was a light(ish) wet weather coat. Of all the airlines we have flown with we still prefer Singapore Airlines, Good luck with the move.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Sorry to hear Plymouth did not work out and now your in Manchester, I hope all works out well for you with this part of the move, we are a nice bunch up here. All the best
Old Aug 1st 2016, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi, When we returned from Aus at the time of booking with the Airline I informed them we were migrating to the UK we were told it was 30kgs each for luggage, most of our clothes were very lightweight anyway lol the most we needed in winter was a light(ish) wet weather coat. Of all the airlines we have flown with we still prefer Singapore Airlines, Good luck with the move.
Thanks Brits, our plans aren't firmed up yet but OH is now fully on board with returning home . Think we would struggle with just 30Kg each given that we have just returned from a trip to Europe and had that amount . Have to have a think.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 7:45 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sparkley. My preferred airline is Singapore but Air NZ are my second fave so that would be workable.
I've not been well since I returned from our holiday; coughing, labile temp, SoB etc. All bloods NAD, so it's obviously an allergy to NZ .

You need to PM me with your news!!!!!
Hahaha...maybe you are!!! Great excuse

Glad OH has agreed to the move. When are you thinking of coming home and to where?

We have had a stressful time, starting with DH collapsing on our flight from LAX to LHR. Thankfully we were not offloaded but probably because i am clinical. The crew, i have to say, were just fabulous, caring and attentive not just at the time but the remaining 7-8 hours of the flight.

DH did not like Plymouth and together with his health he wanted to be back home in Manchester. Thankfully i have secured another lecturing post and start on monday, so things working out, if not quite as we planned.

That said, the shopping in and around Manchester is completely overwhelming,so much choice and so cheap compared to NZ. Food is incredible - just love m&s and waitrose. Where we are living literally everything is on our doorstep and we are literally 100m to the countryside, Dunham and country pubs.

Is amazing, even with the hurdles we have had to jump x
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 7:47 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Hi, Sorry to hear Plymouth did not work out and now your in Manchester, I hope all works out well for you with this part of the move, we are a nice bunch up here. All the best
Thanks Brits. All going well. Have another lecturing post thankfully. dH happy to be home literally, I'm not quite so sure. Wanted to be in the UK but not necessarily back in Manc!
Old Aug 4th 2016, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Brits. All going well. Have another lecturing post thankfully. dH happy to be home literally, I'm not quite so sure. Wanted to be in the UK but not necessarily back in Manc!
Given that you have just made a big move your husband might just want a "comfort" area (which I sometimes call when returning to your original area) and also after all he has been through, in time he may want to try a different part of the country or maybe by then you will both be very happy where you are. We did return back to the North West mainly because of our Sons Universities and to be a bit nearer to family once our eldest has finished his Masters at Manchester University next year we will think of "trying" a different part of the country, saying that we have all been very happy with where we "ended up". Good luck with your new position and hope your DH is fully recovered.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 7:26 am
wish I wasn't here!

Given that you have just made a big move your husband might just want a "comfort" area (which I sometimes call when returning to your original area) and also after all he has been through, in time he may want to try a different part of the country or maybe by then you will both be very happy where you are. We did return back to the North West mainly because of our Sons Universities and to be a bit nearer to family once our eldest has finished his Masters at Manchester University next year we will think of "trying" a different part of the country, saying that we have all been very happy with where we "ended up". Goode luck with your new position and hope your DH is fully recovered.
Thanks Brits. He is fine now. I have said i need to give it at least 12 months before i make any decisions and hopefully by then i will have settled down.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

We did Sydney-London with Singapore air 2 weeks ago; they do allow 30kg each plus 2 x 8kg carry-on bags, but they are very strict with regard to extra weight. We had an overweight of 14kg and they nearly charged us over $1000 for it. To cut a long story short, we got away (without paying) by the skin of our teeth and the kindness of the ground stewardess (who eventually turned a blind eye) but this is a gamble you may not wish to take.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

Hahaha...maybe you are!!! Great excuse

Glad OH has agreed to the move. When are you thinking of coming home and to where?

We have had a stressful time, starting with DH collapsing on our flight from LAX to LHR. Thankfully we were not offloaded but probably because i am clinical. The crew, i have to say, were just fabulous, caring and attentive not just at the time but the remaining 7-8 hours of the flight.

DH did not like Plymouth and together with his health he wanted to be back home in Manchester. Thankfully i have secured another lecturing post and start on monday, so things working out, if not quite as we planned.

That said, the shopping in and around Manchester is completely overwhelming,so much choice and so cheap compared to NZ. Food is incredible - just love m&s and waitrose. Where we are living literally everything is on our doorstep and we are literally 100m to the countryside, Dunham and country pubs.

Is amazing, even with the hurdles we have had to jump x
You don't do things by half lass! Sorry it didn't work out in Plymouth but lots to do around Manchester and it's a better city than Auckland . As long as the OH is on the mend then that's the important thing.

Where are you going to be lecturing at? I loved being back in the UK for 12 days. Marks, Boots, Monsoon, proper supermarkets. I just feel life is easier there.

No plans as to when we will get there but hopefully next year. However OH's job is under threat (again), there (still) doesn't appear to be any other jobs about at his level here, so if he's made redundant then we may head over much sooner . Where we would end up I don't know. We'd quite like Surrey, with easy access to London but doubt we could afford it.

Best of British with the new job on Monday
Old Aug 6th 2016, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by benhila
We did Sydney-London with Singapore air 2 weeks ago; they do allow 30kg each plus 2 x 8kg carry-on bags, but they are very strict with regard to extra weight. We had an overweight of 14kg and they nearly charged us over $1000 for it. To cut a long story short, we got away (without paying) by the skin of our teeth and the kindness of the ground stewardess (who eventually turned a blind eye) but this is a gamble you may not wish to take.
I wouldn't want that sort of worry, so wouldn't risk it. I had 31.5Kg coming back from UK with Singapore Air 2 years ago and they turned a blind eye. I shall continue to look into it. But it may have to be Air NZ.