Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Impressions after a week back

Impressions after a week back

Old Apr 20th 2006, 5:46 pm
Small Dane

Viking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to all
Default Impressions after a week back

I returned to the UK last week after living 8 years in Japan. It's my first time back in 8 years. After living so long in Japan I "went native" over there so to some extent I am seeing the UK through the eyes of a Japanese visitor. What a lot of shocks I have had in the last week!! Just for fun really, I thought I'd list up some of the initial impressions and things that struck me on my return:

(*) FAT PEOPLE!
The first thing I noticed as I left Heathrow: how come half the population is overweight? You rarely see obese people in Japan. I felt like I'd walked into a whale colony :-)

(*) BROKEN MACHINES.
Lifts, toilets, vending machines, telephones, escalators, trains: why are so many broken down? They're broken so much that they actually have printed signs saying that they're out of order!

(*) CAR PARK METERS DON'T GIVE CHANGE!
That is soooo annoying! A vending machine that doesn't give change is unimaginable in Japan.

(*) PRICES HAVE GONE INTO ORBIT!
I nearly keeled over on seeing the prices on my first visit to Sainsburys - about 50% higher than a typical Japanese supermarket. How does anyone feed their kids here?

(*) PEOPLE DRIVE TOO FAST!
Speed limits are so high here, generally about 15-20 km/h higher than on an equivalent road in Japan. I mean, you can legally drive at 120 km/h on the motorways - that's scary! (I'm still thnking in metric all the time and mentally converting miles to km)

(*) YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PARK AT THE SUPERMARKET!
Now this freaked me out because I had forgotten about it, after so many years of free parking practically everywhere in Japan. Here it's 1 or 2 hours of free parking, then after that you have to pay. Huh? Do they not want you to shop there?

(*) THERE ARE SO FEW TOILETS IN SHOPS!
What do you do if you're caught short while you're out shopping? In Japan you use the shop toilet, but here you have to walk half way across town to the public conveniences. May as well go home and shop on the Internet instead.

(*) TV IS CRAP!
What happened to British television? As the nation that invented TV and created the world's first broadcasting company, TV standards seem to have collapsed. Mind you, it still surpasses Japanese TV by a wide margin...

I did have some pleasant surprises as well:

(*) CHEAP INTERNATIONAL PHONE CALLS!
I found a company that charges me just 1p/min to call to Japan - that's about ten times less that I paid to call the UK from Japan. Great!

(*) DIAL-UP INTERNET IS REALLY EASY!
I was worried about connecting to the Internet after I returned to the UK, because it's a hassle in Japan. But I was using the Internet within 15 minutes of arriving home, using one of these pay-as-you-go providers. Good idea!

(*) THERE ARE STILL GREAT PUBS!
I wasn't aware that I missed pubs in Japan, but I was so happy to go to a good pub in the UK. There really is nothing with that same atmosphere in Japan.

Lastly, but long-term perhaps most importantly, I began to feel more intagible advantages to the UK:

(*) PEOPLE COMMUNICATE BETTER
Strange as it may sound I think the British are quite good at talking to strangers. I immediately noticed how, just in shops, the staff actually talked to me. In Japan they just followed the politeness script ("have a nice day" etc.). I am fluent in Japanese but still I couldn't really communicate with strangers in Japan like I can here. Ask a tricky question in Japan and all you get is an um, an ahh, and a sharp intake of breath. Here you get a straight answer, or at least "I don't know". It's refreshing.

(*) IT'S A BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY
Britain is a beautiful country! History is alive here. The countryside, the old buildings and the quaint little towns look really great. So much better than the park-free concrete jungle of a Japanese town!

(*) PEOPLE ARE MORE TOLERANT
Every time I went anywhere in Japan I had to deal with the look of horror and fear that swept across the fact of the staff when they saw me, a dreaded foreigner. Plus always I had kids staring and pointing at me and calling me names. And their mum's said nothing about it. Yet in the UK people don't seem to turn a hair when they see an Asian or a black face, and (most) people would chastise their child if they shouted out "Paki" or some other insult.

(*) THERE'S SO MUCH MORE CULTURE AND CREATIVITY
Culture and creativity are really exciting compared to Japan, and ordinary people seem somehow smarter here.

(*) EVERYTHING IS UP TO YOU
Compared to Japan there is much less regulation, less infrastructure, and less help. You really are on your own here, and you have to make decisions and take the consequences. I realise that there's an underclass of benefit scrongers who don't take responsibility for their own lives, but most people seem to do so. It's a good attitude in some ways, although I think maybe now Britain could do with a bit more Japanese-style group awareness and social harmony.

So after a week in the UK I am beginning to come to terms with the old place again. Life is noticeably more expensive, less safe, tougher and less convenient than in Japan. But I had good reasons for returning to the UK, and when I hit yet another shock I keep those reasons in my mind. I can't honestly say I'm unreservedly happy to be back, but I was right to return. Good luck to everyone else who is adjusting to life here.

Last edited by Viking Man; Apr 20th 2006 at 5:46 pm. Reason: fix typos
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:11 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impressions after a week back

Hi VM and welcome back

Loved reading your post, always good to see it through anothers "eyes"..!!So this is for good then??

Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Viking Man
I returned to the UK last week after living 8 years in Japan. It's my first time back in 8 years. After living so long in Japan I "went native" over there so to some extent I am seeing the UK through the eyes of a Japanese visitor. What a lot of shocks I have had in the last week!! Just for fun really, I thought I'd list up some of the initial impressions and things that struck me on my return:

(*) FAT PEOPLE!
The first thing I noticed as I left Heathrow: how come half the population is overweight? You rarely see obese people in Japan. I felt like I'd walked into a whale colony :-)

Hi Vm. Ive been back nearly a week and had to laugh at that as I agreed! And ,it sounds awful, but so unattractive too! am used to people now and dont stare in some shocked way anymore! my friend who came back from Japan thought they all had big noses at first too!
Lastly, but long-term perhaps most importantly, I began to feel more intagible advantages to the UK:

Strange as it may sound I think the British are quite good at talking to strangers. I immediately noticed how, just in shops, the staff actually talked to me. In Japan they just followed the politeness script ("have a nice day" etc.). I am fluent in Japanese but still I couldn't really communicate with strangers in Japan like I can here. Ask a tricky question in Japan and all you get is an um, an ahh, and a sharp intake of breath. Here you get a straight answer, or at least "I don't know". It's refreshing.
there have been lots of times ive felt like having a good cry, but people/strangers chitchatting away really is noticeable here youre right and really cheers me up. in oz, people said hows it going but it wasnt in a way that meant they wanted a conversation. here, they just go into conversation.
Britain is a beautiful country! History is alive here. The countryside, the old buildings and the quaint little towns look really great. So much better than the park-free concrete jungle of a Japanese town!
will agree when stop being cold. at the moment the greyness, is the most difficult thing ive found so far.

So after a week in the UK I am beginning to come to terms with the old place again. Life is noticeably more expensive, less safe, tougher and less convenient than in Japan. But I had good reasons for returning to the UK, and when I hit yet another shock I keep those reasons in my mind. I can't honestly say I'm unreservedly happy to be back, but I was right to return. Good luck to everyone else who is adjusting to life here.
ive added my comments to yours in bold, cos i couldnt do it any other way so hope above makes sense!
agree with all of that above. although circumstances mean im having a hard time, i still believe ive done the right thing long term. dogs flying into heathrow and im picking him up tomorrow so thatll make a big difference
A load of us on here are all coming back within the same 3weeks. (even saw a couple at the airport!)good luck to the rest of you, too
c xxx
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

(*) FAT PEOPLE!

(*) BROKEN MACHINES.
Lifts, toilets, vending machines, telephones, escalators, trains: why are so many broken down? They're broken so much that they actually have printed signs saying that they're out of order!

That is soooo annoying! A vending machine that doesn't give change is unimaginable in Japan.

I nearly keeled over on seeing the prices on my first visit to Sainsburys - about 50% higher than a typical Japanese supermarket. How does anyone feed their kids here?

Speed limits are so high here, generally about 15-20 km/h higher than on an equivalent road in Japan. I mean, you can legally drive at 120 km/h on the motorways - that's scary! (I'm still thnking in metric all the time and mentally converting miles to km)

Now this freaked me out because I had forgotten about it, after so many years of free parking practically everywhere in Japan. Here it's 1 or 2 hours of free parking, then after that you have to pay. Huh? Do they not want you to shop there?

What do you do if you're caught short while you're out shopping? In Japan you use the shop toilet, but here you have to walk half way across town to the public conveniences. May as well go home and shop on the Internet instead.

(*) TV IS CRAP!
What happened to British television? As the nation that invented TV and created the world's first broadcasting company, TV standards seem to have collapsed. Mind you, it still surpasses Japanese TV by a wide margin...

I found a company that charges me just 1p/min to call to Japan - that's about ten times less that I paid to call the UK from Japan. Great!

I was worried about connecting to the Internet after I returned to the UK, because it's a hassle in Japan. But I was using the Internet within 15 minutes of arriving home, using one of these pay-as-you-go providers. Good idea!

I wasn't aware that I missed pubs in Japan, but I was so happy to go to a good pub in the UK. There really is nothing with that same atmosphere in Japan.

Every time I went anywhere in Japan I had to deal with the look of horror and fear that swept across the fact of the staff when they saw me, a dreaded foreigner. Plus always I had kids staring and pointing at me and calling me names. And their mum's said nothing about it. Yet in the UK people don't seem to turn a hair when they see an Asian or a black face, and (most) people would chastise their child if they shouted out "Paki" or some other insult.

Culture and creativity are really exciting compared to Japan, and ordinary people seem somehow smarter here.

Compared to Japan there is much less regulation, less infrastructure, and less help. You really are on your own here, and you have to make decisions and take the consequences. I realise that there's an underclass of benefit scrongers who don't take responsibility for their own lives, but most people seem to do so. It's a good attitude in some ways, although I think maybe now Britain could do with a bit more Japanese-style group awareness and social harmony.

My brother is in Japan now (3rd year), he's always telling us stories about how things are so different.

Things must be a real shock for you... have you got on a train yet?
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:58 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

So the things that really matter are still there. Good!
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:39 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

(*) FAT PEOPLE!

(*) BROKEN MACHINES.

(*) TV IS CRAP!

What a great read, we live in a large city in China, and the first thing we notice when we get back to England is the state of the toilets too! they are not cleaned as often as they are here, and the person who cleans the toilets in the UK, does not have the same pride as the person [ayi] who would be doing it here where we live. Yes fat people, but thats a healthy thing, and makes you feel as though you blend in again. Being able to walk down the street and not have anyone staring at you, or giggleing at you, or checking out your shopping basket in the supermarket is really nice too. I noticed people said sorry alot in the UK, where we live now, it is the norm to have people pushing into you, and not acknowledging it, but you get used to it. When you are back in the UK if you push past someone by accident and don't say sorry, god you know about it, and you have to shift your attitude very quickly back into uk mode. Yes, people are more up front in shops if they don't have what you are looking for. In China, there is no such word as no- so you do have this size? yes/dui, ok, can I see it? no/bu yao, or like you say the fright in their faces when they see a foreigner approaching is immense, you feel quite sorry for them. It's also nice to be able to walk down the pavement and not be beeped at furiously by people on bikes/motorbikes who believe the pavement is their own cycling lane. It's also nice to see order on the roads, and knowing you can cross when the green man tells you so, and your head does not have to mimick someone at a tennis match, because you never know which direction a car/bike is going to come at you from next.
The main thing we miss when we go to the Uk is the food, and how cheap it is to eat out. Oh yes, we also miss the diversity of life, people live their lives out on the streets here, in the UK everyone is a closed book, and locks themselves away in their castles. I'm getting a bit carried away, but yes, the UK has some great attributes, but not alot that would make us want to come back and live there for good.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

SCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really nice

[QUOTE=Viking Man]I returned to the UK last week after living 8 years in Japan. It's my first time back in 8 years. After living so long in Japan I "went native" over there so to some extent I am seeing the UK through the eyes of a Japanese visitor. What a lot of shocks I have had in the last week!! Just for fun really, I thought I'd list up some of the initial impressions and things that struck me on my return:

What a great read. I was back at Xmas and it is a bit grey
around some parts but you just escape to the country
as much as you can and the people are so friendly and funny..
it more than makes up for it.

I will, however, seriously miss the asian restaurants and the
beaches in Oz.

Keep us posted
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:03 pm
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all

(*) TV IS CRAP!
If you have seen Sky channel 121 since you got back you'll know that Takeshi's Castle, the 80's Japanese gameshow is a cult favourite here now...

Maybe there will be a winner next time...
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:53 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with points 1 - 4, 6 - 8 in comparison with the US as well. #1 is particularly amusing as everyone in the UK thinks obesity is a US problem. Look around!

As for #5, hmmm... too damned slow in the UK. Especially with all those speed cameras....
Old Apr 30th 2006, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

''(*) PRICES HAVE GONE INTO ORBIT!
I nearly keeled over on seeing the prices on my first visit to Sainsburys - about 50% higher than a typical Japanese supermarket. How does anyone feed their kids here? ''

eek, have you looked into an estate agents window yet.....no there's a real reason to keel over.
Old May 1st 2006, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by midwifetanya
I nearly keeled over on seeing the prices on my first visit to Sainsburys - about 50% higher than a typical Japanese supermarket. How does anyone feed their kids here? ''

eek, have you looked into an estate agents window yet.....no there's a real reason to keel over.

Have to agree with you there. Everytime I look at house prices I just go into shock mode! Mind you on a positive note, they do have a lot of character even if we cant afford them!
Old May 1st 2006, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

Originally Posted by midwifetanya

But your not in Japan, and are your kids currently starving?

sorry but this type of comment get on my nerves, can you tell me what it is you exactly want?
Old May 1st 2006, 1:24 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue

sorry but this type of comment get on my nerves, can you tell me what it is you exactly want?
She never claimed she was in Japan, and you obviously haven't looked in an estate agent's window recently.
Old May 1st 2006, 1:37 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue

I'm confused - are you trying to say that house prices in the UK are reasonable ??
Old May 1st 2006, 1:42 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I'm confused - are you trying to say that house prices in the UK are reasonable ??

Reasonable might be pushing it. I'd say *value for money*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.