Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I gave it 22 years I’ve had enough!

I gave it 22 years I’ve had enough!

Old May 20th 2015, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Location: British Columbia Canada, would rather be back in theUK
Merlin1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I gave it 22 years I’ve had enough!

Thanks for all your wonderful replies,
The whole market thing was brought up years ago, the last time I had thought about going home..........Then got scared rolled up in a ball and hid in the corner, this time no rolling and hiding, I'm going to do it! I have always been the type of Guy who thinks why should I rely on others to give me a paycheck and never know when it could end, we are all as they say one payday away from the streets, so As much as I can I try to rely on myself, if not i will work for someone until the time is right to go on my own again, I have Part owned a Restaurant in Alberta, a coffee shop in BC, and a cleaning business before my daughter was born, and knowing it can be tough at times, and hard work the satisfaction you get from it is great, and you're working hard for yourself not for some fat cat, my Dad always said when a ship is floundering jump before it sinks! so cutting a story short, I'm jumping ship and leaving Canada, we all believe the other side of the grass is greener but in the end Home is where the heart is! I have decided to go my own way in the UK and rely on myself whether it be a market stall or a food trailer or maybe even both, we'll see if I can wrestle my couch loving video game addicted Nephew of the couch and into some solid hard graft for a change I have put a date to move back home as April or May of 2016 so I have one year to get my life packed and in order
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

I still think that, with the right attitude, there's a life to be made in the UK and you seem to have the attitude that means you'll do OK. You will be competing for self employed work against many other people and that's where you may hear immigrant comments made but, in reality, you're competing for custom or a contract against other people and they would be there as competition whether they were British, Polish or Pink Spotted Aliens from the OuterVerse.
Old May 24th 2015, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
The issue arises inasmuch, in that guidance it says"
Citizens who return to the UK on a settled basis will be classed as ordinarily resident, and will be eligible for free NHS care immediately.
and NHS providers have no guidance to determine what exactly is meant by "settled basis" in marginal cases of recently arrived people.
Basically, you are settled if you say you are settled and don't say anything incompatible with being settled.
But don't try telling NHS staff that!

And then there are seasonal residents. Are seasonal residents settled or not? Say a retired person who spends many months each year in UK and also in Florida. Toing and Froing.
Case law is that you are ordinarily resident in the UK if your time in the UK is regular (as contrasted with being at random times). Regular in the Old World usage of the word meaning periodic; and not in the New World usage meaning unexceptional or everyday.