How is UK.....Really?

Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:57 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is UK.....Really?

Originally Posted by louise4
Hey G, I really can't agree with you on this, not slating uk at all, but, the Uk has got MAJOR problems now what with one thing and another.

It doesn't always impact on your day to day life but IMO it is worse now than it was then.

My situation hasn't changed, still your average person doing average person things and think that life was better in the 90's than it is today.

Oh well, that's the beauty of humans, each one's different.

Louise
Well my life is far better now....I have never been so well off

.....and I have retired early

G
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:07 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Good for you G

When are you planning to go over to oz. your son is over there is that right?
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:10 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

G
Whilst I agree that the UK isn't the place the Daily Mail paints it to be, I think your response verges on the flippant. You own your own house in a wealthy picture-postcard part of the country. If you return 'cashed up' and can afford to buy an 18th century miner's cottage down a pretty English country lane then I'm sure life would be peachy, but with property prices the way they are (mortgage lenders forced to lend at a staggering six times salary!!) most people would be living in far more 'real' parts of the country. So much, no matter which country you live in, depends on where you actually live - that there is no simple response to the question asked by the OP.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Whilst I agree that the UK isn't the place the Daily Mail paints it to be, I think your response verges on the flippant. You own your own house in a wealthy picture-postcard part of the country. If you return 'cashed up' and can afford to buy an 18th century miner's cottage down a pretty English country lane then I'm sure life would be peachy, but with property prices the way they are (mortgage lenders forced to lend at a staggering six times salary!!) most people would be living in far more 'real' parts of the country. So much, no matter which country you live in, depends on where you actually live - that there is no simple response to the question asked by the OP.
But all our circumstances are different....which makes these threads somewhat pointless really.....and my house is really not that expensive compared to some parts of the country....or Australia for that matter.

G
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by louise4
Good for you G

When are you planning to go over to oz. your son is over there is that right?
We will go when My wife retires....as soon as we have sorted out a few financial affairs.

My son is in Brisbane now

G
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:18 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

I think you may be pleasantly surprised by how much the UK has improved while you have been away.

You left during the Tory years when the country was still at war with itself.

Things are much better now

G
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:21 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

G
Good onya Grayling ,ive been away 20 years and after a visit back to the uk for a while i found the people of the uk vibrant and interesting with in general superb manners .
The uk is the dogs nuts as far as im concerned and all those thay bag it just should move out as they are just a bunch of whingers along with the british media .
Would i go back ? YES ,is it great ? YES ,has it the same problems as elsewhere ?YES .
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:29 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
They are lending 6 times in australia on Low doc loans ,so horses for courses and as you state there is no simple response .It really just depends which country you look on as home .
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:35 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hong Konger
I have been in HK for the last 17 years. All my family are in Portsmouth UK. At some stage I am going to have to think about our whereabouts for our future HK OR UK when my son starts secondary school. Uk is foreign to me now as i have been gone for so long, is uk really bad now with all the immigrants etc.? We really miss our family in uk, me and my son that is, my hubby is from Hong Kong.

Not sure what to do i am homesick very much.

Thanks guys. :O)
I was in Portsmouth a few weeks ago - lovely place. We always said if Oz didn't work out for us, we will move to Portsmouth.

It is clean, the people are friendly and it is in my opinion, a nice place.

Reading horror stories about the UK is bad because it magnifies your fears.

Newspapers dramatise everything and you will find if you did move back, you will realise just how much of the press stories are blown up out of proportion.

Each country has its good and bad points - the UK is no exception but on the whole, we as citizens go about our business and everyday lives with no major dramas despite what the press would have you think.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

I think Thunderbird65 lives in Pompei...
As for mortgage rates, we are borrowing 4.5 x salary but we dont have to. We just want the most we can afford as we are virtually pension less! If I was single I would be in a 1 bed flat though . Anyway, we could have been almost mortgage free in Oz. So what! Money still mysteriously gets spent...
p.s we are glad to be back, could't live anywhere else and at least we know now. A friend lived in HK, she now prefers her little village near Bath, but does talk of HK days with fondness. She was single though and no kids, so we all feel that way at times!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:50 am
poole ,dorset . love it

Originally Posted by seasprite
I think Thunderbird65 lives in Pompei...
As for mortgage rates, we are borrowing 4.5 x salary but we dont have to. We just want the most we can afford as we are virtually pension less! If I was single I would be in a 1 bed flat though . Anyway, we could have been almost mortgage free in Oz. So what! Money still mysteriously gets spent...
p.s we are glad to be back, could't live anywhere else and at least we know now. A friend lived in HK, she now prefers her little village near Bath, but does talk of HK days with fondness. She was single though and no kids, so we all feel that way at times!
Dorset is beautiful though and i dont blame you for being there .I have included a little photo of dorest coast on a febuary day ,just lovely.
Attached Thumbnails How is UK.....Really?-100_0802.jpg  

Last edited by king kong; Apr 12th 2007 at 9:53 am.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

thunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond repute

Come to Portsmouth and we can maybe meet up on a weekend. its a vastly changing place, being a city it has traffic probs at rush hrs but a stroll along the seafront, gunwharf quays a trip to the isle of wight ferry or hovercraft. or just jump on a cross channel ferry and cruise to France Spain, north of portsmouth is the countryside. worked on an estate today where all the tenants are from London, they say the south coast area is a world apart from London etc and they love it here, the new forest is 30mins away, hayling Island, Bognor Regis all those country pubs in bloom are just a short trip away. Did I say weekend!! better make it much longer than that.

Old Portsmouth, Dockyard historic ships, cathederal.

The worlds most sacred place of worship (fratton Park )
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by king kong
Good onya Grayling ,ive been away 20 years and after a visit back to the uk for a while i found the people of the uk vibrant and interesting with in general superb manners .
The uk is the dogs nuts as far as im concerned and all those thay bag it just should move out as they are just a bunch of whingers along with the british media.
Would i go back ? YES ,is it great ? YES ,has it the same problems as elsewhere ?YES .
and that's putting it mildly

yep totally agree
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by king kong
Dorset is beautiful though and i dont blame you for being there .I have included a little photo of dorest coast on a febuary day ,just lovely.
yep, i spent the day walking along the coast by durdle door just before easter ...perfick
Attached Thumbnails How is UK.....Really?-250px-durdledoor.jpg  
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hong Konger
Is uk really bad now with all the immigrants etc.? ........................, my hubby is from Hong Kong.

Not sure what to do i am homesick very much.

Thanks guys. :O)
HI HK
dont want this to sound too rude but your quote above.....
why /what is your worry about immigrants? Arent you one now? wont your hubby be when he comes to the UK?

It sound like youve been listening to scaremongering about the nasty immigrants taking our jobs and stealing from us!

I think the UK is better than when you left in the Thatcher years too. Im better off and so are most people I know and we are working class folk, not high flyers.

I had a choice of 3 NHS dentists when i came back, and IMHO, the NHS is second to none compared to the rest of the world.

I personally find it very safe, but there are certainly no-go areas in the UK. The people that harp on about these areas...... Is anyone who has lived abroad for some time seriously going to be so stupid that they move to a crappy deprived area? Those that say they do didnt do ther homeowrk then, Just like you do when you go to any other country think about what you want from a place eg city life/country life/good schools/rail links/sea and go from there. a better area in a chosen town generally has higher house prices, than the less good part, or the part with the crappy school catchment. go to rightmove.co.uk , choose a town you like the sound of, then compare prices say from one part of the town to another.

watch out for those immigrants, though! Shouldnt be allowed!

best wishes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.