Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

how to register with the NHS after 30 years away

how to register with the NHS after 30 years away

Old Mar 31st 2015, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

rosemaryw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how to register with the NHS after 30 years away

I am returning to UK after 30 yrs in US to care for my mother. Is there a wait time before you can register with a GP through the NHS. I do have a NHS number from the 1980s. Any help appreciated. Thank you.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to register with the NHS after 30 years away

Hi

Your NHS number is all you need to register for a GP, all we did was find the area we wanted to rent in and had a look at the GP services in the area then called in to the surgery and filled in the register forms and that was all we had to do. Good luck with your Mother
Old Apr 1st 2015, 8:24 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosemaryw
I am returning to UK after 30 yrs in US to care for my mother. Is there a wait time before you can register with a GP through the NHS. I do have a NHS number from the 1980s. Any help appreciated. Thank you.
Your old NHS number will now have changed, NHS numbers are now just numbers, but your GP, when you register, should be able to find out what it now is. The fact that you do have your old number will prove that you are entitled to be registered.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually there are two things that the NHS surgery will look for when they need to register you:

Proof that you are entitled to remain in the Uk - your Uk passport, which of course also tells them who you are

and

Proof that you will actually be residing in the Uk - a copy of your lease or a council tax bill, your entry on the electoral register or something that shows you are here for a while like your shipping documents for furniture.

If you can't show permanency you can register anyway as a visitor until that evidence comes with the passage of time.

If you are actually moving in with your mother, the permanency evidence becomes a bit harder but I cannot imagine that this would become an obstacle to registration.

Nobody asked us for our NHS numbers which were also ancient as we have been away for 38 years and my former GP is deceased.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 1st 2015 at 9:19 am. Reason: If you are actually moving in with your mother,...
Old Apr 1st 2015, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, is it a temporary stay? I don't think they're strict though.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Good point, is it a temporary stay? I don't think they're strict though.
I think that could only really be an issue if you needed hospital treatment, where the hospital gate-keepers would be more vigilant but I would still think it fairly straightforward to explain the predicament because the gate-keepers are now really your GPs for the referral or within the same practice group.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I think that could only really be an issue if you needed hospital treatment, where the hospital gate-keepers would be more vigilant but I would still think it fairly straightforward to explain the predicament because the gate-keepers are now really your GPs for the referral or within the same practice group.
I think that's right. " I have moved back and am living with my mother." (If that is the case). Bank statement might be acceptable, or change utility bill into OP's name.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 10:53 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

At our GP's I've often seen people registering with the practice, usually ones from EU countries, and they have to show their passports, and the fact that they do have a rental contract, not just for a month or so.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikelincs
At our GP's I've often seen people registering with the practice, usually ones from EU countries, and they have to show their passports, and the fact that they do have a rental contract, not just for a month or so.
Depending in which country OP is coming from, she may have some cover under her insurance there.

There are a lot of international students at my GPs but no issue for us. I don't think we had to show passports; so many things were happening at once that I can't remember exactly.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

rosemaryw is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your quick responses. The doctors' surgery has asked me to contact my former GP and get my new NHS number (rather than the National Insurance number). Wish me luck with that!
Best regards, Rosemary
Old Apr 1st 2015, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rosemaryw
Thank you all for your quick responses. The doctors' surgery has asked me to contact my former GP and get my new NHS number (rather than the National Insurance number). Wish me luck with that!
Best regards, Rosemary
I'm sure the new surgery will get the new number for you if you can't. All the best to you and your mum
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Things must of changed since we arrived back in the UK (mind you it was nearly 5 years ago now) all I took to the GP's to register was our old NHS numbers and I utility bill.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

its changing as of this week... you have to prove that you are entitled as now they are bringing in a charge of 200 and 150 gbp for students in order to use the nhs etc as too many abused under health tourism.... you will need to prove that you are here to "settle" otherwise you will be able to be a temp patient i think up to 3 months
Old Apr 5th 2015, 2:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
its changing as of this week... you have to prove that you are entitled as now they are bringing in a charge of 200 and 150 gbp for students in order to use the nhs etc as too many abused under health tourism.... you will need to prove that you are here to "settle" otherwise you will be able to be a temp patient i think up to 3 months
Students? All students? Students from abroad? can you please clarify this or provide a link, thanks.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm back at least for now if anyone remembers me??
I left Dallas on Dec 20, 2013 with two tiny dogs for Belfast. Stayed until middle Feb. liked....not loved....and had to come back to sort out paperwork for my tax return, my storage unit and my ex husband wanted us to fix our ex marriage.
Please tell me where to go for the personal stuff.
After which I returned to Belfast. Broke my ankle and ten weeks later slipped on a steep staircase in my brother's Victorian townhouse. Broke my neck, shoulder blade and four ribs. Emergency room made it fairly easy. I was staying at my brother's address until I found a place of my own. They accepted that which was the truth.
In the Fracture a Clinic, all that was required was an address and proof of British citizenship. After the fall I registered with a GP without an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.