Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How Long to Buy a Car in UK?

How Long to Buy a Car in UK?

Old Sep 26th 2014, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Long to Buy a Car in UK?

Originally Posted by chris955
My advice would be to buy a near new car that has already suffered the initial major depreciation, you will still have plenty of warranty and will be able to do some good deals.
I think thats what the OP is looking at. Mine was a year old so I still have 2 years warranty left and no MOT for two years.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Checkout autotrader.co.uk for used cars and get an idea of what you are looking for and the going price. It's normally a good guide to what's on the market, especially in your own area.

There will be no tax on the vehicle when you buy it, it will have to be paid separately or if you have a friendly dealer they will set it up for you.

See: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

-----

Buying a vehicle
From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We've just bought a 10-month old Renault Clio GT. The salesman said, "This is the deal we are offering" to which my husband said, "I'll take it". So that was nice and quick

Dealership set up the tax and I thought he was paying it, but it was just the paperwork and we paid the £30.

We put a deposit down, got insurance online through Churchill and then picked it up.

Apparently the price was fair anyway and it was all efficient and pleasant, without a trade-in there's not much to bargain with.

We were thinking about a Fiesta but the Clio seemed a bit more sporty. The salesman in the Ford dealership said what great cars they are, " although they're the most expensive in their class." Bit of a weird thing to say really, as I thought, "I'll get a different one in that class then." My brother has a Fiesta and really likes it.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes likely will be looking at a "near new". Don't need to have the latest plate.

Glad to hear the car buying will be the easy bit. Hopefully it will not take us too long to find rengal accommodation
Old Sep 26th 2014, 5:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wombat7
Yes likely will be looking at a "near new". Don't need to have the latest plate.

Glad to hear the car buying will be the easy bit. Hopefully it will not take us too long to find rengal accommodation
If you are looking for nearly new, my colleague swears by Motorpoint - they can pull a car that is close to a particular spec as possible.

Motorpoint | The Car Supermarket | Huge Savings on Low Mileage Nearly New Cars - they currently have 268 Fiestas on the books.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks looks good, trouble is getting there. Will certainly have a poke around the website and see what they have. If what we want a good deal can always take a car service from Suffolk down there
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

DR, Ta muchly, just had a bit of a look at that website and looks excellent.

Does your colleague manage to get much off the prices they advertise?

They have a great inventory and it seems you can opt to pick up at any of the locations
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:31 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Yes definitely not a new car.... A yr/eighteen months would be great. Expect to get money off, you're not trading anything in so they should be willing to move on the list price...or walk away. Plenty of cars around! Plus more security as you know there is a warrantee/mot in place.

Good luck!
Old Sep 27th 2014, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We were thinking about a Fiesta but the Clio seemed a bit more sporty. The salesman in the Ford dealership said what great cars they are, " although they're the most expensive in their class." Bit of a weird thing to say really, as I thought, "I'll get a different one in that class then." My brother has a Fiesta and really likes it.
Yeah. When I was looking online at cars in UK I was amazed that the fiesta is $15,000 here, but £15,000 in the UK. You can get a new Peugeot 20x / Kia Picanto for £8000. I wondered whats so special about the fiesta that they charge that much.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 10:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yeah. When I was looking online at cars in UK I was amazed that the fiesta is $15,000 here, but £15,000 in the UK. You can get a new Peugeot 20x / Kia Picanto for £8000. I wondered whats so special about the fiesta that they charge that much.
Isn't the Ford Fiesta a completely class of car from a Kia Picanto? Never heard of the 20x.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Isn't the Ford Fiesta a completely class of car from a Kia Picanto? Never heard of the 20x.
Err they look pretty much the same size to me? And Peugeot 20x - I meant the 108 or 208. Sorry not too familiar with peugeots
Old Sep 27th 2014, 11:42 pm
Ping-ponger

Err they look pretty much the same size to me? And Peugeot 20x - I meant the 108 or 208. Sorry not too familiar with peugeots
Do you mean they look it from photos? What about the actual specs? Engine type/size/performance, top speed, kerb weight, dimensions, capacity, standard kit, etc.? I thought the Fiesta was more of a supermini/hatchback but the others are more like city cars (tiny)?
Old Sep 28th 2014, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

fords in the UK have always had high list prices. This means ford dealers can, and do, give what appears to be big discounts off list. Plus UK cars, in general are often more highly specced than US/Canadian versions. Thats why it makes sense to go for a 1 year old model as the major depreciation hit has been taken by someone else. don't forget there is VAT and new car tax - not licence- on new cars.VAT on second hand as well
The second you sign on the line for a new car, you've lost £2/3000 purely because of this. I bought a new car in 2010 for £18K and on the invoice was £2463 for VAT etc! As it happens, due to a manufacturer deal, this meant the new car was only about £300 more than a 6 month old demonstrator!
motorpoint are fine. my son has had 4 cars from them over the last 6 years. It's a bit of a pain having to go 50 miles to get it, but the savings more than make up for it. you do need to have some idea what the price is generally, so I tended to decide on the car then research online to get an idea of price for the same models to help in my "discussions" with the sales person.
As others have said, it's easy to buy a car in the UK. Most large dealers can arrange for you to collect it within 24hrs especially if you can take advantage of their 7 day insurance. Just be aware some dealers do not offer this, so you need to sort insurance before you can collect it.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

gozit,
Just checked on Autotrader and a 2 year old, top of the range Fiesta, about 20,000 miles comes out at just over US$12,000. Expensive maybe in your terms but over 50% LESS than a sparkling new one and still with some warranty.A base fiesta, similar age and mileage, seems to be selling for around US$9,000.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is UK car tax and EU import taxes.. that's what hikes up the prices in Europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.