How do you decide?

Old Mar 1st 2018, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you decide?

Not quite the same, but there are children dying in the UK also.

https://news.sky.com/story/three-tee...ondon-11271222
Old Mar 1st 2018, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Drugs, knives, violence as well as guns is killing people.
Society has gone mad everywhere.
A lot depends on your location.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add the direct correlation between guns awash in US and high murder rate. Totally misinterpreting 2nd amendment intention. UK just a fraction in comparison.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

NiceOneDelBoy will become famous soon enough

Think it’s getting a bit off track and likely that’s my own doing. I understand people, children are killed everywhere and you can find examples everyday. My issue is more of a larger systemic shift I’ve noticed in all areas. Maybe it’s a worldwide shift but it seems to be at a much much more accelerated rate here.

My question was how do you make such a big decision. I’ve researched and learned I can get a decent job, it will be less money ultimately but more security. By security I don’t just mean in terms of violence. I appreciate all of the input and advice in helping make this decision- now it’s time to get my rear end in gear and turn words into action.

After a lot of soul searching what it ultimately came down to for me were priorities and trusting my own gut.

Good luck to you all! Thanks.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 12:03 am
Just Joined

NiceOneDelBoy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Just to add the direct correlation between guns awash in US and high murder rate. Totally misinterpreting 2nd amendment intention. UK just a fraction in comparison.
Yeah and what happened to the “Well regulated” part. We could talk in circles. That’s all that happens- thoughts and prayers, talking in circles, slowly come accustomed to the insanity and inaction. Ppl can say all they want about knives, acid attacks, fighting.... but when it’s come down to it, when mass violence happened, the UK responded the right way. No where is perfect and I think one person was spot on when they said no one can make the decision but you.

On a side note if you haven’t seen Jim Jeffries stand up about guns it’s really well done and worth watching.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiceOneDelBoy
Yeah and what happened to the “Well regulated” part. We could talk in circles. That’s all that happens- thoughts and prayers, talking in circles, slowly come accustomed to the insanity and inaction. Ppl can say all they want about knives, acid attacks, fighting.... but when it’s come down to it, when mass violence happened, the UK responded the right way. No where is perfect and I think one person was spot on when they said no one can make the decision but you.

On a side note if you haven’t seen Jim Jeffries stand up about guns it’s really well done and worth watching.
Just caught Jeffries on this. Spot on.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds more like the USA then anywhere I know of here in the UK....where there are drugs, money etc not matter where you live in this world you will have the bad elements of society, would I move to these "bad" areas, no, we moved to an area in WA that was not great (we did not know as we had just migrated) we soon saved and moved away.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Also places can change quite a lot over a few years. Stone Bridge Park used to be a scary place to be. However a load of money was pumped into regeneration and it became a very different place. However the people that made it a bad place, just tend to move to another part of the city.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...-london-408462
Old Mar 4th 2018, 2:48 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiceOneDelBoy
Thank you all for your responses. It’s great to get different opinions.

I would be considered a Trade Credit Underwriter and most of the jobs I come across are in London. I would prefer not to work in London. My family are largely in the Oxford area. I would work anywhere really. Like one poster said they’ve been very fortunate to live and work in the USA. I don’t completely disagree. I’m in a very fortunate industry that has treated me well and will likely treat me well for the foreseeable future. And I wonder if the poster would agree the US is not the same country he/she first came to. But again- same could be said for the UK.

We went back to the UK about 10 months ago and it was hard for all of us to leave. There’s just a sense of community that I have never felt in the US. Obviously everyone’s experience is different.

I understand ultimately the decision is one of ours and ours alone. And the chances of probability of my child being involved in a school shooting is remote- my thought is not just specific to the chances of x happening but more of the changing climate and the increased brutality and the reason that my child has to do shooter drills. Or that teachers are now receiving triage packages. (Although when looking at percentages your 5.5 times more likely to be murdered in the US).

I guess my over arching question is the US seems to be heading IMO in a certain direction. Part of me says don’t wait until it’s too late and the other part says we won’t have the same quality of living.

It’s hard to put my thoughts together so I was just looking for advice. Appreciate the advice on passports. Mine was just renewed and we are in the process for our kids.

Thanks again. Sorry if I’m not concise in what I’m seeking answers to and just rambling.

I pretty much agree with everything you say, except that my son has survived high school here but now will go to uni in the UK. I have decided that quality of life, for the sorts of things I care about, will now be better in the UK. Yes, I will be living in somewhere very small and definitely not posh at all. But everything else outweighs that, and no it's not the same country here as it was 20 years ago. But I have positive reasons for wanting to be in the UK, not just negative reasons for wanting to leave the US.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For me it is my USC wife that wants to move to the UK because of the changing US culture. Yes, these are scary times, but growing up in the UK during the bombings was also scary. I have small children, and there appears to be plenty of work for me on both sides. I am not sure I want my kids to be traumatized by having to do active shooter drills. They are not really old enough to understand yet.