Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How did your pets cope when you moved them back?

How did your pets cope when you moved them back?

Old Jun 26th 2013, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default How did your pets cope when you moved them back?

I'm interested to know from those who've moved their pets back to UK, how the animals have adapted to the new enviroment?

How long was it (with cats especially) until you allowed them outside? I've moved house before with cats and have kept them in for around 2 weeks before even thinking of letting them into the garden. Even then I would follow them with a piece of ham in hand so that if they got too far from me, I'd have something to hopefully get them back.

I also used the old wives tale of rubbing their paws with butter. . . not sure if it helped but I did it anyway and they were happy to lick it off

My 2 cats here in USA have been used to a massive back garden and pretty much having the whole neighbourhood to themselves to roam wherever, but I know cats are quite territorial and therefore I'm thinking if once in our new UK home there are other neighbourhood cats about who will get into a fight with them

So, what has been the experience of others who have moved cats (dogs seem so much easier to cope with)
Old Jun 26th 2013, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default Re: How did your pets cope when you moved them back?

Gosh, 103 views and no responses! Was it something I said ?
Old Jun 26th 2013, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I didn't move our cats back, more regained one, and gained another soon after arriving back. When we went to the States in 2007, one cat went to my sister's for a five year holiday. Last year, coincident with the death of my lovely sister, we moved back. Her husband, who was just getting used to being a single parent so had enough on his plate, asked if would have my cat back, and also my sister's cat to live with us.
I was overjoyed! Suddenly it felt like home, having pets again. He was pretty relieved too!
The first two weeks I kept them, their food and beds in the conservatory while they looked at me cynically as if to say "What's all this about?"
Pretty soon I let them wander the house, and not long after let them in the garden. It's very quiet and safe for them where we live, so no problems.
I just hoped my old cat didn't remember that he used to run up and hide under the old guy next doors bed because there was a new family there now and they'd get a surprise!
Anyway, they've been a huge comfort in the past year, and because of them our house feels like "home" again.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 6:38 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I can only tell you what it was like bringing two cats in the other direction -- to Canada from the UK.

One was elderly. She was given the thumbs up by the vet before we left, but only lasted a few months in Canada. The stress of the 9 hour flight was probably a factor. Retrospectively I regret not having her put to sleep before we left.

The other was middle aged and timid. She was used to living in an English village. We have a smaller back garden here than in the UK and there is no longer a cat door for her to use. The result was that she became an indoor cat. Otherwise she seems quite happy. But she is now elderly, and when we return to the UK next year, we are going to have to decide whether it is kinder to take her with us, or have her put to sleep.

We've acquired another cat since we got here. He is an outdoor cat, but he hates getting wet. We are moving to Devon, which has relatively high rainfall, so I think he'll be miserable for a while, until he's adjusted. He is very territorial and is constantly getting into cat fights here in the city. The countryside should be easier for him.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 6:40 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Also -- you can get a spray that helps your cat adjust to their new home. I think it is called "felispray", or something like that. Your vet will know about it.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
Most likely the people that looked at it had no comment to make/didn't know the answer
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

We have quite a few cats around here, so initially there was a bit of territory claiming. I didn't worry too much about them wandering off as they are too fond of their dinner to go far!
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:10 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
I was one of the viewers but didn't respond because I flew my dog and no cats. To be honest, it really stressed her out. She flew a month before me and my sister has had to take her to the vet a couple of times. She is an older dog and has kidney issues but that doesn't seem to have been the problem. The vet said she was just stressed.

When I arrived yesterday, she wasn't nearly as over the moon to see me as I expected but she could have been upset with me for sticking her in a crate and not being around for a month. She's happier with me today but, overall, I don't think she's her usual happy self.

I've taken her for a couple of walks but I'm not seeing that usual excitement in her when I bring out the lead. I'm going to look for a place to take her where she can get in some water. We used to go to a reservoir and she liked walking along at the edge of the water so I'll see if I can find somewhere she can do that.

Nothing like cats I'm sure, but that's how it's going for us at the moment.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I was one of the viewers but didn't respond because I flew my dog and no cats. To be honest, it really stressed her out. She flew a month before me and my sister has had to take her to the vet a couple of times. She is an older dog and has kidney issues but that doesn't seem to have been the problem. The vet said she was just stressed.

When I arrived yesterday, she wasn't nearly as over the moon to see me as I expected but she could have been upset with me for sticking her in a crate and not being around for a month. She's happier with me today but, overall, I don't think she's her usual happy self.

I've taken her for a couple of walks but I'm not seeing that usual excitement in her when I bring out the lead. I'm going to look for a place to take her where she can get in some water. We used to go to a reservoir and she liked walking along at the edge of the water so I'll see if I can find somewhere she can do that.

It's bound to be an adjustment for them, too, but overall I am positive the pets are happier with their owners.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Sally Simmons brought 2 cats to the UK from the US last year. Perhaps if you did a search you can find some of her posts. I believe her cats did fine - I remember she posted pictures of them in their new home and they looked as if they had settled in very well.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

I'd been wondering how your dog was getting on after I read your post of when she flew back ( and I know you and I have sent a couple of pm's too regarding it all )
I also have a dog, but am not as concerned for her because obviously she will likely be always on a lead on walkies with us and won't stray.
I do hope your dog becomes more excited when you find some water for her to play in like she used to.
I suppose it's a huge upheaval for them too really, especially as they have no clue why everything smells wrong and unfamiliar and I just hope that my 2 cats and dog retain their personalities and little nuances when they're back in UK.

It's such a stressful time for all concerned this moving lark !
Old Jun 27th 2013, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I believe Sally Simmons brought 2 cats to the UK from the US last year. Perhaps if you did a search you can find some of her posts. I believe her cats did fine - I remember she posted pictures of them in their new home and they looked as if they had settled in very well.
Yes I think you're right, I'll have to search her posts
Old Jun 27th 2013, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Editha
Also -- you can get a spray that helps your cat adjust to their new home. I think it is called "felispray", or something like that. Your vet will know about it.
I'll have to google that, I've not heard of it but will give anything a whirl if it helps them settle in Thanks
Old Jun 27th 2013, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Most likely the people that looked at it had no comment to make/didn't know the answer
I know I was being lighthearted and jokey about it
Old Jun 27th 2013, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

The vet said she was just stressed.
I'm curious to know what the signs of stress were in your dog that led your sister to take her to the vet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.