Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

HOW can we rent in the UK?!?!

HOW can we rent in the UK?!?!

Old Dec 15th 2014, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOW can we rent in the UK?!?!

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
That explains it. Probably also the landlord not wanting to do an itinery of everything in the flat or house.
I always thought an advantage for students in the UK was that they could rent furnished accommodation. What do they do if they are in private accommodations these days?
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
I realize you are feeling very stressed but I was only trying to help and instead of acknowledging that you are biting my head off

With respect it has been mentioned numerous times on BE by different people that when renting in the UK with no UK credit history people often have to pay 6 months up front. I think it is understandable that a landlord would like some security when renting to someone he can't even get a credit report on or a reference from a previous landlord.

As I said it IS much harder and more expensive to rent when you have a dog. You originally were not planning to bring your dog and mentioned that you had several families who wanted her to be rehomed with them.

Regarding a holiday cottage we rented one for 12 weeks (without a dog) and got a great rate (much lower than the rate listed on the website) because of the length of the booking. It worked out cheaper than if we had been renting an empty place and paying utilities so that was why I mentioned it as perhaps being a possible option.

I am very sorry that you are having difficulty but you have limited yourself greatly by not researching and planning for renting without a UK credit history, WITH a dog and with out a car. All of these factors are making things difficult for you. Sometimes it can be good to step back from a problem and see what can be changed to improve the situation. If you still have families lining up to have your dog perhaps you should reconsider that option, you would save her airfare and increase rental opportunities. As long as you are careful who she goes to she will be perfectly happy.

Not having a car is also greatly limiting where you can rent and probably increasing the cost of the rental as you need to be close to public transport. Are you able to stay in Canada a little longer and save up for a cheap car?

As I said before if you are able to delay joining your husband for a little longer then it would help with renting since he would then have UK pay slips, bank statements, credit history to show.

All of these things would help improve your choice and price of rentals.

I do feel for you it is super stressful moving to a new country and the Christmas Holiday is not a great time to choose to be doing all this. You did know going into this that bringing your dog would be expensive and make renting difficult. It would not have been difficult to find out that having no UK credit history might result in being asked for 6 months up front. I don't think the letting agents are "stupid" they are just typical for market and you have chosen to put yourself in a situation where your options are limited.

As for people being "nice" when you get there, well people are people some will be "nice" some not so nice. You aren't doing them a favor by moving there so I wouldn't expect any special treatment. I also think that if someone is "nice" enough to try to help by throwing out some possible ideas to help it is "nice" to acknowledge that even if you think their ideas are useless.
fantastic post. Very respectful post to soe one who clearly is very stressed and that showed in her response to you.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:40 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I always thought an advantage for students in the UK was that they could rent furnished accommodation. What do they do if they are in private accommodations these days?
Student rentals often are furnished, but a student rental wouldn't usually be suitable for a family. Rents are typically higher (because they rent by the room), and students are more willing to accept shoddy conditions.

Plus you end up living in a neighbourhood that is full of students.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

They most definitely do rent furnished accommodation from private landlords/ My niece and nephew were in rented "student" accommodation and both were fully furnished. Students do not want the bother of buying furniture.

Even when they started work they were renting in different towns and, again, were in privately rented, shared, furnished, apartments, with other young adults.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 3:47 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
Thing is we have NO credit score having just arrived... In fact only my Hunny is there right now. There are only 4 lettings in the town we're going to, no vehicle means we're limited to location within walking or cycling, and only two are within budget,mand only one has the bedrooms be are legally required to have because we have a son and a daughter over the age of six. So, ya... Limited. WHERE do you find private landlords?!?! We can't find one to save our lives!!!
I'd never heard of that before - if you have two kids of different genders over the age of six you are legally required to have separate bedrooms?
Old Dec 16th 2014, 3:53 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I'd never heard of that before - if you have two kids of different genders over the age of six you are legally required to have separate bedrooms?
No you are not.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

There are rules on overcrowding, though -

Overcrowding - Shelter England

Looks like the key age for children is 10 not 6.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

So three bedrooms would not be required. hopefully this will reduce some of the stress that Pondhopper is feeling and perhaps she will be more able to enjoy the Christmas period
Old Dec 17th 2014, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

To divide up a house into multiple rooms with beds must be a different market.
Most agencies I have dealt with prefer families or will rent to no more than two individuals.
They will not consider " multiple lets " as they call them.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

My parents own a rental property in the UK, as do my sister & I.

We would all be flexible about accepting proof of funds/job(s)/past landlord references for returning expats with no credit rating, rather than 6 months rent up front ( and have advised the agencies involved accordingly).

BUT, we all have a no pets policy. We all *might* consider a cat or *small* dog on a case-by-case basis, & FWIW we're all dog &/or cat owners.

Is it possible that the OP may be experiencing a "double-whammy" (no credit rating/dog)?
Old Dec 18th 2014, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Shirtback
My parents own a rental property in the UK, as do my sister & I.

We would all be flexible about accepting proof of funds/job(s)/past landlord references for returning expats with no credit rating, rather than 6 months rent up front ( and have advised the agencies involved accordingly).

BUT, we all have a no pets policy. We all *might* consider a cat or *small* dog on a case-by-case basis, & FWIW we're all dog &/or cat owners.

Is it possible that the OP may be experiencing a "double-whammy" (no credit rating/dog)?
Having gone through this i do not agree and you would be the acceptation to the norm when it come to funds. The agent has a massive part to play right down to the agent you are speaking to and if come across an inept or incompetent agent your problems become tenfold.
Then look at outdated on line reference checkers like Homelet and things can become even more frustrating.
my proof of income was given to our agent and they would not accept it because it was from Australia. my son inlaw offered to sign guarantor and still didnt get it across the line. It all comes down to box ticking and agents not prepared to use there heads. i have move again since arriving and had a much better experience with a different agent but i did have 6 months in the uk under my belt
Old Dec 18th 2014, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shirtback

unfortunately the OP is facing a multiple whammy, no credit rating/dog/ two kids/no car/restricted budget/not a lot of money in reserve.

It is unfortunate this came as a surprise to the OP, as already pointed out there are many posts on here about this.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

@Supercad: I know we're an exception to the norm, & that's probably because I'm an expat, step-mum was an expat, & we are aware of the difficulties.

I totally agree that many agents are a pain in the proverbial . I'd fire ours yesterday, if I were the sole decision-maker. I have so far refrained from upgrading my oft-repeated "did you read (whatever the last communication was)?" to "*CAN* you read????"...

Originally Posted by Wombat7
unfortunately the OP is facing a multiple whammy, no credit rating/dog/ two kids/no car/restricted budget/not a lot of money in reserve.

It is unfortunate this came as a surprise to the OP, as already pointed out there are many posts on here about this.
Nicely put .
Old Dec 18th 2014, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Brittwit is an unknown quantity at this point

Its difficult to find private rentals in the UK. Having just returned here after 35 years away it was a little daunting looking around and seeing quite a range in the "Referencing Fees" depending on the agent. Obviously having no UK credit didn't help us either. However, we went direct to Letsure and gave them all our details and did our own "referencing" up front providing them with all our details and financials. When we found our rental we asked the agent to contact them and all went smoothly. Landlords Insurance | Landlord Tenant Referencing | Letsure
We didn't have pets though and most places we looked at would not take them or they would charge a much larger deposit for them so we feel for you there
Old Dec 18th 2014, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

If you find a decent letting agent consider yourself lucky. Ours in Kent was pretty good but the witch we dealt with in Scarborough was another story. Fortunately with that property, the landlord managed the place himself and we didn't have to deal with her after the lease was signed. She still managed to drag out what could have been done and dealt with in a couple of days into nearly a month. All the while, it was costing us double rent and the new landlord had no money coming in on an empty house. We're looking at moving again now and I've found the perfect house in a neighbourhood we both know and love but hell will freeze over before I pay some blood sucking estate agent £400 PLUS VAT in administration fees - that's just sheer greed. The place has been up for rent for about six weeks now (normally property in that area gets snapped up fast) and no takers. Wonder why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.