Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

HOW can we rent in the UK?!?!

HOW can we rent in the UK?!?!

Old Dec 10th 2014, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Default Re: HOW can we rent in the UK?!?!

Originally Posted by NiHao
Not having a car is going to be very limiting. Could you shift some of your furniture budget to buying a cheap second hand car? If it allows you a much wider choice in location and price of rental property it is going to be well worth it.

Personally, between the limitations on rentals and the expense I would reconsider bringing your dog since, if I remember correctly, you did have someone she could be happily re-homed with?

Private rentals can be found via the classified adverts in the local newspapers and online noticeboards for the area. I have also known people have success by posting their own classified advert in the local paper stating what property they are looking for and outlining what awesome tenants they would be.

Instead of signing a rental contract for a property you don't love and through a rental agency you feel is taking advantage of you maybe you could look for a holiday cottage that you could rent for a few weeks? You can frequently negotiate fantastic rates for winter rentals (apart from Christmas and New Year weeks) especially if you commit to a month or two. They can be great value since they come fully furnished and equipped and include all utilities. It would also buy you some time for your husband to have some UK credit history, payslips and bank statements to show letting agents which should make it easier to not have to pay 6 months rent up front.

Don't know if any of those ideas work for you but thought I'd throw them out there in case they help. Good luck.
You don't understand, as we didn't expect to pay the full 6 months rent, plus near a thousand pounds in deposit plus the application NON refundable fee, we HAVE no furniture budget, we'll be sleeping on air mattresses and sitting/eating on the floor when we move. We won't even have a fridge most likely so I guess I'm shopping for food three times a day. None of the holiday cottages (way over priced) would take a dog and a family with children. Sorry, looked into that, even looked into caravan letting... Same deal, no kids no pets. I hope people are nice when I get there because this letting agent and their stupid rules on the only houses available in the town is putting a very disgusting taste in my mouth and giving a LOT of cruel stress at the holidays.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

I think most rental properties are let furnished so I wouldn't worry about sleeping on blow up mattresses. At least all 3 of the houses my sister rented before she bought were furnished at least basically (beds and sofa etc).
Old Dec 10th 2014, 9:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
I think most rental properties are let furnished so I wouldn't worry about sleeping on blow up mattresses. At least all 3 of the houses my sister rented before she bought were furnished at least basically (beds and sofa etc).
Very unlikely in the UK, unfurnished is the norm, we have never rented a furnished place.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
You don't understand, as we didn't expect to pay the full 6 months rent, plus near a thousand pounds in deposit plus the application NON refundable fee, we HAVE no furniture budget, we'll be sleeping on air mattresses and sitting/eating on the floor when we move. We won't even have a fridge most likely so I guess I'm shopping for food three times a day. None of the holiday cottages (way over priced) would take a dog and a family with children. Sorry, looked into that, even looked into caravan letting... Same deal, no kids no pets. I hope people are nice when I get there because this letting agent and their stupid rules on the only houses available in the town is putting a very disgusting taste in my mouth and giving a LOT of cruel stress at the holidays.
You indicated earlier that you will be in Leicester. That has a population of 330,000, which must mean there are other possibilities than this one letting agent. Or perhaps you meant you are in the "Leicester area" and are looking for a rental in one specific smaller place outside of Leicester itself? If so, the lack of a car certainly makes things more tricky, but can your husband use public transport to get to his employment, allowing you to live in Leicester itself?
Old Dec 10th 2014, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

deepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried gumtree.com and craigslist, both for looking for private lets and to post your own ad requesting a rental? You could offer to house-sit for people going away for the winter. Which town is it you're looking at? (You can PM me if you don't want it broadcast.) Get DH to ask all around the town - church/library/pub/bank/post office/newsagent - often somebody knows somebody who has a place to rent.

Did you check about flying the dog through the winter?
Old Dec 10th 2014, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

having gone back to the UK twice in the last five years after living abroad the first time we did pay 6 months as we had no work, the second not as I showed them my work contract and HR gave a refernece of being permanent both times with a dog and child. Both times we rented a holiday let with a dog no issues,
We had to wait 2nd time for furniture and its suprising who will elnd you bits and pieces and charity shops have cookware etc. one collegue at work let me 3 air beds, bedding, chairs, Tv and cookware and he only rented a room in a house himself I could not get over is generoisty. Keep your chin up I do feel you have been ripped off as people think you will pay anything and have loads of money to be moving from abroad etc etc. Just a warning you will suffer the same predudice with credit crds, interest free deals etc etc.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

I realize you are feeling very stressed but I was only trying to help and instead of acknowledging that you are biting my head off

With respect it has been mentioned numerous times on BE by different people that when renting in the UK with no UK credit history people often have to pay 6 months up front. I think it is understandable that a landlord would like some security when renting to someone he can't even get a credit report on or a reference from a previous landlord.

As I said it IS much harder and more expensive to rent when you have a dog. You originally were not planning to bring your dog and mentioned that you had several families who wanted her to be rehomed with them.

Regarding a holiday cottage we rented one for 12 weeks (without a dog) and got a great rate (much lower than the rate listed on the website) because of the length of the booking. It worked out cheaper than if we had been renting an empty place and paying utilities so that was why I mentioned it as perhaps being a possible option.

I am very sorry that you are having difficulty but you have limited yourself greatly by not researching and planning for renting without a UK credit history, WITH a dog and with out a car. All of these factors are making things difficult for you. Sometimes it can be good to step back from a problem and see what can be changed to improve the situation. If you still have families lining up to have your dog perhaps you should reconsider that option, you would save her airfare and increase rental opportunities. As long as you are careful who she goes to she will be perfectly happy.

Not having a car is also greatly limiting where you can rent and probably increasing the cost of the rental as you need to be close to public transport. Are you able to stay in Canada a little longer and save up for a cheap car?

As I said before if you are able to delay joining your husband for a little longer then it would help with renting since he would then have UK pay slips, bank statements, credit history to show.

All of these things would help improve your choice and price of rentals.

I do feel for you it is super stressful moving to a new country and the Christmas Holiday is not a great time to choose to be doing all this. You did know going into this that bringing your dog would be expensive and make renting difficult. It would not have been difficult to find out that having no UK credit history might result in being asked for 6 months up front. I don't think the letting agents are "stupid" they are just typical for market and you have chosen to put yourself in a situation where your options are limited.

As for people being "nice" when you get there, well people are people some will be "nice" some not so nice. You aren't doing them a favor by moving there so I wouldn't expect any special treatment. I also think that if someone is "nice" enough to try to help by throwing out some possible ideas to help it is "nice" to acknowledge that even if you think their ideas are useless.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 12:38 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I believe in more recent times that landlords and letting agencies are covering their backs financially when it comes to renting out properties. The agent we used when securing a flat in London explained that there have been problems in recent times of people coming into the UK from abroad, renting a property and either a) not paying rent or b) trashing the place and moving back to their country of origin with absolutely no way of tracing them. Landlord is then left massively out of pocket with either repairs or months of missed rent payments. Evicting tenants is difficult for landlords and agencies so the six months rent up front solves all problems for them. Unfortunately it stuffs it up for the genuine people who are honest and reliable.

We were asked to give 6 months rent up front. We said we simply couldn't afford it and really pushed for accepting bank statements, proof of salary and even our passports with stamps in from the countries we had traveled to in order to prove that we had been out of the country backpacking. Basically anything that helps your case then try it! Perhaps you could compromise and offer some paperwork to the agency along with 3 months rent?

Either way if you do end up paying in advance make sure you stipulate that you have done so in the contract as it all gets a bit confusing as to what money is what (Letting Agent Today).

Good luck!
Old Dec 11th 2014, 1:42 am
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Very unlikely in the UK, unfurnished is the norm, we have never rented a furnished place.
I agree, fully furnished homes are rare, more likly to be holiday rentals. Part furnished is more common, but this usually only means washing machine, dish washer etc. The majority of properties are classed as unfurnished.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 4:22 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Lee
I agree, fully furnished homes are rare, more likly to be holiday rentals. Part furnished is more common, but this usually only means washing machine, dish washer etc. The majority of properties are classed as unfurnished.
I think it really depends on area and accommodation type. Unfurnished is probably the norm for houses. Around here, the majority of cheaper places (1 or 2-bedroom flats, aimed at younger, single people) are furnished, often even including things like crockery. OP is obviously looking at family-sized property, though, which is more likely to be unfurnished.

I would expect an unfurnished place to include white goods, though.

Part-furnished is a bit of a grey area, so it's always worth checking exactly what's included. (In my experience, it usually means 'several random items of furniture the landlord didn't want to move'.)
Old Dec 11th 2014, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Then perhaps now is not the best time to come if your budget is that tight. When things are very stressful through financial concerns it gets very easy to blame and alienate those around you, which is not a good footing on which to base your new life. Why does your move have to take place under such pressurised conditions?
Old Dec 11th 2014, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NiHao
I realize you are feeling very stressed but I was only trying to help and instead of acknowledging that you are biting my head off

With respect it has been mentioned numerous times on BE by different people that when renting in the UK with no UK credit history people often have to pay 6 months up front. I think it is understandable that a landlord would like some security when renting to someone he can't even get a credit report on or a reference from a previous landlord.

As I said it IS much harder and more expensive to rent when you have a dog. You originally were not planning to bring your dog and mentioned that you had several families who wanted her to be rehomed with them.

Regarding a holiday cottage we rented one for 12 weeks (without a dog) and got a great rate (much lower than the rate listed on the website) because of the length of the booking. It worked out cheaper than if we had been renting an empty place and paying utilities so that was why I mentioned it as perhaps being a possible option.

I am very sorry that you are having difficulty but you have limited yourself greatly by not researching and planning for renting without a UK credit history, WITH a dog and with out a car. All of these factors are making things difficult for you. Sometimes it can be good to step back from a problem and see what can be changed to improve the situation. If you still have families lining up to have your dog perhaps you should reconsider that option, you would save her airfare and increase rental opportunities. As long as you are careful who she goes to she will be perfectly happy.

Not having a car is also greatly limiting where you can rent and probably increasing the cost of the rental as you need to be close to public transport. Are you able to stay in Canada a little longer and save up for a cheap car?

As I said before if you are able to delay joining your husband for a little longer then it would help with renting since he would then have UK pay slips, bank statements, credit history to show.

All of these things would help improve your choice and price of rentals.

I do feel for you it is super stressful moving to a new country and the Christmas Holiday is not a great time to choose to be doing all this. You did know going into this that bringing your dog would be expensive and make renting difficult. It would not have been difficult to find out that having no UK credit history might result in being asked for 6 months up front. I don't think the letting agents are "stupid" they are just typical for market and you have chosen to put yourself in a situation where your options are limited.

As for people being "nice" when you get there, well people are people some will be "nice" some not so nice. You aren't doing them a favor by moving there so I wouldn't expect any special treatment. I also think that if someone is "nice" enough to try to help by throwing out some possible ideas to help it is "nice" to acknowledge that even if you think their ideas are useless.
I wasn't biting your head off, I'm sorry you took it that way. Our goal was NEVER to leave our dog behind, she's the only pet we DID plan to take (though I did mention it is extortion what the flights would charge to get her over there). She's all pet scheme ready waiting for her tapeworm treatment, we even had her spayed a couple months ago as to be able to reassure a prospective landlord of her not going into heat! Nope, people want her (including the people where I live as a basement troll with our two smaller children while I wait), but I have no intention of leaving her, never did.

And we did research. For the past year and a half.

The busses in the area we'd never heard of but was kind enough to hire my Love just so happens to have a crummy train/bus schedule (think in at 6am, home at 10pm, ya... No.) we are looking to rent in town, will be begging furniture off freecycle, don't feel comfortable asking at the church as we're not even congregants yet, ... We'll just have to make it work. If it means air mattresses and livingroom picnics, so be it. My family just wants to be together.

Last edited by pondhopper2014; Dec 11th 2014 at 11:13 am. Reason: Added.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can a moderator just delete this thread for me. I can feel the love (not). We're fools. Prolly are making the biggest mistake of our lives. No one gives a rats "arse". Sorry I bothered sharing.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only crazy here or does it seem impossible for the past homeowner (as in no landlord) who can't seem to figure out how to find a rental (letting) in the UK? My Hunny has work (YAY!) only we might never get over there because all the places want six months in advance (fine) PLUS almost 1000£ Deposit PLUS NON REFUNDABLE "application fee" PER PERSON, AND PER PROPERTY?!?!

I mean, fine, if you want an admin cost, okay, but non refundable even if it is rejected? What's stopping them from pocketing the money and laughing at the pathetic Canadians trying to find a home... 300£ X 10 attempts is 3000£ not too bad for a day of NOT working...

All this BS about us working so hard to get the dog over there? Crap it, we might have to give her up just to buy some furniture since rent, fees, deposits will eat up all our savings. Dogs are nice, a fridge to put food in and a place to plunk our rears is nice too!

I am so lost and don't know what to do anymore... Is there anything I'm missing or am too stupid to see?? Why do we have to pay a month a half in deposit (incase we skip out) when we will have already paid a FULL lease six months in ADVANCE, there is no skipping out! Please someone encourage me...

I thought you were already over there! Maybe I am thinking of someone else; been months since I have been here.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 4:19 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Can a moderator just delete this thread for me. I can feel the love (not). We're fools. Prolly are making the biggest mistake of our lives. No one gives a rats "arse". Sorry I bothered sharing.
This thread has three pages of information about renting in the UK, contributed (in good faith, albeit with occasional frustration) by people who've already made the move. It could be useful to anyone else trying to relocate, and I don't think it's very fair to delete it just because you're taking a tricky situation as a personal slight. People have been trying to help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.