Home student status

Old Jul 20th 2014, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

omar shahpo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home student status

Hello, I am a british citizen who has been living outside of the uk for most of my life, however my father has been living here for more than 28 years.
Do i qualify for home student loans ?
I have just arrived in the uk about 2 weeks ago, however i will still have to sit through 2 years of A-levels, i will be 20 years old by the end of the A-Levels and will have been in the uk for 2 years, will that be enough for me to qualify for home fees and the home student loans ? thank you.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home student status

Where have you been living? Depends if it's outside the EU.

These are the rules:

UKCISA - England: Higher Education - Fee status in England: Higher Education

From outside the EU (and some other countries shown in that link), it has to be three years' residence and "the main purpose for your residence in the UK and Islands must not have been to receive full-time education during any part of that three-year period." So you'd have to show that you came back for other reasons.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

I have been living in Egypt, does the fact that my father has been living in england for 28 years change anything ?
Old Jul 20th 2014, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by omar shahpo
I have been living in Egypt, does the fact that my father has been living in england for 28 years change anything ?
I don't believe so. It's about where you were resident for the preceding three years.

If you are going to be doing A-levels in the UK they may not actually ask about the residence when you apply - not sure about that.

Possibly you could take a gap year as well to bring it up to three years.

The difference in the fees is not that huge now but of course overseas students don't get access to loans.

If you are 18 now, don't you have qualifications that are equivalent to A-level?
Old Jul 20th 2014, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't believe so. It's about where you were resident for the preceding three years.

If you are going to be doing A-levels in the UK they may not actually ask about the residence when you apply - not sure about that.

Possibly you could take a gap year as well to bring it up to three years.

The difference in the fees is not that huge now but of course overseas students don't get access to loans.

If you are 18 now, don't you have qualifications that are equivalent to A-level?
I actually do, but they are only considered to be GCSE equivalent and not A-Level equivalent since they are Egyptian General Secondary school degrees
Old Jul 20th 2014, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I actually do, but they are only considered to be GCSE equivalent and not A-Level equivalent since they are Egyptian General Secondary school degrees
You might be able to do a Foundation year. Check with the universities you are looking at. I randomly pulled up Manchester Metropolitan:

https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/international...?country=egypt

I guess A-levels would be cheaper - where would you study for them?

Last edited by Sally Redux; Jul 20th 2014 at 4:08 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

You might be able to do a Foundation year. Check with the universities you are looking at. I randomly pulled up Manchester Metropolitan:

https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/international...?country=egypt

I guess A-levels would be cheaper - where would you study for them?
London, SFX
I will be doing them for free as i am under 19, it will take two years, do you think it is possible to get a loan after this period of time?
and if not, if i decide to work for a year to complete my 3 years, will i be able then to get a loan ?
Old Jul 20th 2014, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

London, SFX
I will be doing them for free as i am under 19, it will take two years, do you think it is possible to get a loan after this period of time?
and if not, if i decide to work for a year to complete my 3 years, will i be able then to get a loan ?
Well it's not up to me, but looking at the rules you would be all right as long as you convinced them that you had come to live in the UK for reasons other than study exclusively. You have to be approved by Student Finance England:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance
Old Jul 20th 2014, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Well it's not up to me, but looking at the rules you would be all right as long as you convinced them that you had come to live in the UK for reasons other than study exclusively. You have to be approved by Student Finance England:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance
do you know whether each application is considered on its own or not ?
do they actually look into each single application ?
Old Jul 20th 2014, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't know for sure but I think so.

You can probably get advice from your sixth-form college closer to the time.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 11:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and Yes.