Hello from California

Old May 15th 2017, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from California

Chapter & verse on buying train tickets in the UK...

Cheap train tickets: cut travel costs, incl split ticketing - MSE
Old May 15th 2017, 1:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
My sense is that there are two factors at play for many journeys. There's an automatic trigger point to raise the price, (say) 48 hours before the time of travel. Then there's another price rise triggered when a certain proportion of the tickets are sold for that journey.... ....
I am certain that at any point in time there is only a certain percentage of tickets that they will sell at a heavily discounted price, probably based on how many tickets they know from experience and projection that they can sell at higher prices. On a popular route the number of discounted tickets available might be quite small, .... unless, as the journey time approaches they haven't sold many higher-priced tickets, in which case more discounted tickets will become available.
Old May 15th 2017, 1:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am certain that at any point in time there is only a certain percentage of tickets that they will sell at a heavily discounted price, probably based on how many tickets they know from experience and projection that they can sell at higher prices. On a popular route the number of discounted tickets available might be quite small, .... unless, as the journey time approaches they haven't sold many higher-priced tickets, in which case more discounted tickets will become available.
I think this is true. My usual route, Norwich to London, is unbelievably underused. This means the heavily discounted price is consistently available, until a few days before travel time. Admittedly I always travel in the 11am to 2pm period. Typically there are half a dozen people in each carriage at most. (The only exception is when other trains have been cancelled or other snafu.) And the service runs twice an hour, all day!
Old May 16th 2017, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

makingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you take the Web address of the different train operators' websites and run them through whois.com you may be able to see which servers they are sitting on and potentially prove that the different websites are all just windows into the same database. :
I think they almost certainly must share the same database in some fashion otherwise it would cause mass chaos.
Old May 16th 2017, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

makingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond repute

I simulated booking the same trip, and it was obvious that it was actually the same booking engine serving up exactly the same prices.

However, it's certainly possible that each train operating company does offer exclusive deals for its own services, from time to time.
I think you've hit the nail on the head here.
Old May 16th 2017, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

And, in your example, are you certain you were looking at exactly the same trip? Because different journeys can be wildly different prices - London to Norwich at 11am, £9 but at 12 noon, £35 for instance.

Have you looked at coaches? They have pretty good prices. National Express are often much cheaper than the train, and Megabus is often even cheaper. Supposedly the cheapest prices, Norwich to London, are £3 on National Express and £1 on Megabus.

The buses are very comfortable but getting in & out of towns (especially London) can make them excruciatingly long journeys.
I'll check into the coaches, although we will be coming out of London, so that could make it slow. Also, do you know if there are any porters at the train stations? I can't remember seeing any last time I was there.
Old May 16th 2017, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rebs
Chapter & verse on buying train tickets in the UK...

Cheap train tickets: cut travel costs, incl split ticketing - MSE
Thanks so much for this great resource. I tried the ticket splitting tool and it saved me some money!!
Old May 17th 2017, 12:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by makingwaves
I'll check into the coaches, although we will be coming out of London, so that could make it slow. Also, do you know if there are any porters at the train stations? I can't remember seeing any last time I was there.
As far as I know they don't have porters generally available. I think part of the reason is the wheeled suitcases that are now almost universal! For people with special needs, in a wheelchair etc., there's a system whereby you pre book assistance at both ends of the journey.

But for people with lots of luggage, I think what's happened is that trains no longer really cater to them. People in that situation maybe pre book a car service from airport to eventual destination. Such services seem expensive, for instance Norwich to Heathrow is quoted at £200 or thereabouts. But taking into account the door to door convenience of the car, compared to all the different transfers you'd need to make if you were using tube, train, local taxi (etc) it's probably reasonable.
Old May 17th 2017, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

As far as I know they don't have porters generally available. I think part of the reason is the wheeled suitcases that are now almost universal! For people with special needs, in a wheelchair etc., there's a system whereby you pre book assistance at both ends of the journey.
The spinner wheels on the newer luggage are great but don't help getting a large suitcase up onto the train, or up a narrow flight of stairs. I just yesterday returned a 25 inch suitcase I had bought partly due to this issue. I've decided to pare down what I'm taking and make do with my 21 inch carryon which is so much easier to handle.

I have been debating the wisdom of taking a train versus a bus, especially if the bus will come pick us up in London. I think I can find one to take us from London to Southampton, but then would need to get a rental car and negotiate traffic and finding my way out of Southampton, which I'm not keen on at all.

I'd rather take the train all the way to a small town near my destination and then pick up the car. I drove in the UK 2 years ago and found driving in larger towns challenging, partly because of being on the other side of the road, and also because I didn't know where I was going. I

I had Google GPS on my phone but it didn't always work. I'm thinking I'd be better off to get a car with SAT NAV. In fact, I think that's the only way I'd feel comfortable driving. Any suggestions on the most reliable navigation system?
Old May 22nd 2017, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

fern747 is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding Sat Nav I would always be weary about buying one which isn't easy to update and doesn't have live traffic information. The good thing about phone apps is that they are constantly updating the road maps. I live in Walthamstow in East London, and we've had multiple road closures over the last couple of year to make it better for cycling. As a result only phone apps like Google have updated the road systems and people using Sat Nav's really struggle to get to ours.

This being said I would strongly recommend using the Waze app on your phone. It not only provides up to date traffic information and roads, it sources other users information to help to find the fastest route for you in real time which has saved me an enormous amount of time on journeys through the UK!

Hope this helps!
Old May 22nd 2017, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I second having Waze, but it does require your phone to use data while in the UK so make sure you are set up to do that.