Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Heading home after 35 years

Heading home after 35 years

Old Nov 15th 2014, 3:42 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading home after 35 years

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I know as I've looked it up already and posted links in post # 24
my senior moment & a delayed reaction ... sorry
Old Nov 15th 2014, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Flying Enterprise is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess so!!!
Old Nov 16th 2014, 12:16 am
Just Joined

ileene55 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also in the process of moving back to the UK after 35 years in the US. I'm an RN trying to get my license prior to moving, the CNM ain't making it easy! I have also sent a form to the HM Revenue & Customs to recover my NINO, no joy in that department, they can't seem to find me. I was born, educated and worked in the UK before I moved to the US so I should have a number, is there anyone out there can help figure out this problem? Do you have any tips on shipping stuff back to the UK?
Old Nov 16th 2014, 5:17 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noordhang
But after living so long in another country, am I still a "citizen" ? I know I have a British passport and all that, and I know if it will take 6 months of living in one place in the UK to re-establish residency, and I believe the chap concerned had both a British and a South African passport.
We simply don't want anymore South Africans!

Good luck back home mate.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Noordhang is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any helpful hints on how to hasten the process of getting a national insurance number? I must have had one as I worked in London for a year in 1957 or so, then again worked for 3 months in 1970. But the Department of Customs or whatever cannot find it. They want every address in England, which I can't remember as I have travelled so much and lived in 8 different countries, and even wanted details of my marriage and divorce in Australia years ago. I know it is very important to have one of these numbers, so any advice would be welcomed.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 10:20 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

The form for tracing old numbers is CA5403. It asks for your last two addresses before your current one and details of your marriage. Obviously, that information isn't going to trace your number because of the number of addresses you have had.

If I were you, I'd write HMRC a letter explaining the problem, and giving as much detail as you can about your work history and addresses in the UK. Give them your date of birth too. Obviously, it would help if you could find any documentation that gives your UK addresses etc.

If they are unable to find your number on the basis of the information you provide, it is not the end of the world. They'll have to give you a new one if you do any work in the UK. It sounds as if you may have had a year or two's contributions, which you will lose if they can't find the number, but that's not enough for a pension.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks Editha - I am not thinking of a pension, I know I cannot have one, but I thought I needed the number to register with the local doctor, and for various things. I have done the form CA5403, have sent them birth certificate, marriage ccertificate, divorce certificate, everything they wanted, various addresses that I remembered in England and in Jersey because the family moved to Jersey when I was ten years old. I can only remember some street names, though, not the numbers. Do I actually NEED a number if I am not going to work?
Old Nov 16th 2014, 1:14 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

You certainly don't need one to sign on at the doctor. There is a separate NHS number which is on your medical card (which you no longer have, I presume). You will probably have the same difficulty in tracing it that you have with the NI number, but again, if they can't trace your old records it isn't a big deal. You don't need to deal with this until you register with your doctor. It is up to them to trace your records. They will still treat you regardless.

I presume you will be paying tax in the UK, and you may be asked for your NI number then, and also if you ever find yourself on a low income and claim means tested benefits, such as housing benefit. Again, this is really HMRC's problem not yours. If they can't trace the number in their records, they will have to give you a new number. I don't see them refusing to assess you for tax because your NI number can't be traced!
Old Nov 17th 2014, 6:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks again, Editha, that is a relief. No, I won't be paying tax as I am now 76 years old, have been working here in South Africa as no retirement benefits at all here and having to pay high private medical insurance. I think I only went to the doctor once as an adult in England, so they are sure not to have any record of me. I am so pleased that I can retire now, hopefully find a little stone cottage in Herefordshire for me and my poodles, and live quietly and economically knowing that if I am ill I can go to the doctor for free. And I hope I can perhaps volunteer one day a week at Blue Cross or somewhere similar to keep some activity.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Flying Enterprise is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Noordhang, We would also be looking at somewhere in Herefordshire, as the rental property looks a little more affordable, and also we have two Sausage Dogs, so it is taking time to trawl thru the ''Net" but will just have persevere.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 5:19 am
Just Joined

springbok 1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flying Enterprise
Hi There Springbok,

Firstly why have you had enough ? just curious, we arrived in 80' but now retired I think that its time to head on back to the Old Country,

I'm married to a South African back in 69' she was a Backpacker whom I met in Jersey, she automatically became a British subject when we were married,

I'm not too sure now with all the new Immigration rules, best to check on UKGOV.ORG, I'm sure you will come right there,
Hi there Flying Enterprise
I live in Joburg and the crime is going through the roof.
I was made redundant 5 yrs ago and havent had a sniff of a job since.
Its very difficult.Im 58 with no job prospect at all.
Ive been shot at and been burgled twice.
Such a pity as SA is a fantastic country or should I say was.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Heading home after 35 years

Originally Posted by Flying Enterprise
Hi Noordhang, We would also be looking at somewhere in Herefordshire, as the rental property looks a little more affordable, and also we have two Sausage Dogs, so it is taking time to trawl thru the ''Net" but will just have persevere.
Yes, the rents do look more reasonable, don't they, and it is a quiet rural county which appeals. I notice that the nearer to Wales, the cheaper it is, and I don't really understand why - but I'm not up on local politics and/or conditions there of course. I am very lucky that I can stay with a friend when I arrive, and she has contacts apparently so I should be able to find a place to rent without using an agent. Agents seem very difficult "No dogs, no children, no housing benefit people, etc. etc. etc." and if one has not worked in the UK and can give lots of references, they want 6 months rent upfront which rather irritates me. I wish you luck.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Noordhang.. On another thread someone posted about older couple who moved to UK and purchased or rented a static caravan. Seems reasonably priced. I am not saying for YOU to do this but just a thought.. I am moving back to UK as soon as my finances are in order (5 year plan) and never thought of static caravan until I saw the posting.. just an idea..
Old Nov 18th 2014, 7:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Heading home after 35 years

For anyone thinking about a Park Home or a Lodge, here is some pertinent information regarding being able to live there as ones primary UK residence or only being able to reside there for 10 months of the year (ie. a 'holiday home'):

Frequently Asked Questions » Omar Homes

The company builds some gorgeous park homes and lodges:

Residential Park Homes For Sale, Mobile Homes, Holiday Lodges » Omar Homes

About Omar... » Omar Homes
Old Nov 18th 2014, 7:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Englishmum
For anyone thinking about a Park Home or a Lodge, here is some pertinent information regarding being able to live there as ones primary UK residence or only being able to reside there for 10 months of the year (ie. a 'holiday home'):

Frequently Asked Questions » Omar Homes

The company builds some gorgeous park homes and lodges:

Residential Park Homes For Sale, Mobile Homes, Holiday Lodges » Omar Homes

About Omar... » Omar Homes
I must admit I thought this might do for us if we ever get home again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.