Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Heading home after 35 years

Heading home after 35 years

Old Nov 14th 2014, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Re: Heading home after 35 years

Originally Posted by Brittwit
Decided on the spur of the moment to get tickets for the QM2 next week and head back to the UK after 35 years in the USA.

Managed to sell everything up this past week and shipped some stuff back, but basically starting over again when we get there.

Crazy? probably, but life is an adventure anyway.

It has been interesting to read some of the stories about folks moving back and we have learned a lot about their experiences and some of the pitfalls that they have encountered.

Stay tuned for updates...................................
All the very best on your return it does seem it was meant to be with everything selling so quickly.I only wish I had returned while in my 40s just feel to old now to start again.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 11:48 am
Just Joined

springbok 1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heading home after 35 years

Hi there
This is my 1st ever post on this site.
Im also leaving after being in SA since 1982 as ive had more than enough.
My partner wants to come with me but is South African and travels on a SA passport, weve been together nearly 10 yrs.
Any ideas on how she would be fixed to come with me?
What problems, if any, would she be faced with?
I would appreciate any feed back on this.Tks.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Flying Enterprise is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There Springbok,

Firstly why have you had enough ? just curious, we arrived in 80' but now retired I think that its time to head on back to the Old Country,

I'm married to a South African back in 69' she was a Backpacker whom I met in Jersey, she automatically became a British subject when we were married,

I'm not too sure now with all the new Immigration rules, best to check on UKGOV.ORG, I'm sure you will come right there,
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Heading home after 35 years

Originally Posted by springbok 1972
Hi there
This is my 1st ever post on this site.
Im also leaving after being in SA since 1982 as ive had more than enough.
My partner wants to come with me but is South African and travels on a SA passport, weve been together nearly 10 yrs.
Any ideas on how she would be fixed to come with me?
What problems, if any, would she be faced with?
I would appreciate any feed back on this.Tks.
Do check out the subsection in the "Moving Back to the UK" forum - "Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)"

One of the 'stickies' ie. frequently asked and important information at the top of the subsection is listed here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz...mation-830478/

Old Nov 15th 2014, 2:56 am
Just Joined

Brittwit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noordhang
I am also returning to the UK in March next year after 35 years in South Africa. British born and bred, always had a British [now EU!] passport. I received a scary email yesterday telling me that a friend of a friend, who also had lived here about 30 years, arrived back in the UK on a one-way ticket [as will I] and was told he now had no residency rights and the authorities put him on a plane back to South Africa. Could this be possible? I am now very worried about it. Comments, please/

The holder of a valid British Passport cannot be denied entry to the UK by an immigration officer in any circumstance.

https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen
Old Nov 15th 2014, 7:51 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Heading home after 35 years

Originally Posted by Brittwit
The holder of a valid British Passport cannot be denied entry to the UK by an immigration officer in any circumstance.

https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen
True.

But isn't there a difference between a British *Subject* and a British Citizen?

I think the eligibility for UK residence may differ?
Old Nov 15th 2014, 8:36 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
True.

I don't think the term 'British subject' has any meaning in law. But the OP has a British (EU) passport, which means he is a British citizen.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Enterprise
I don't think that could possible be right, never heard that before!! but will have a look at the ''Net'' as I receive my U.K. Pension here in S.A. they said that when I return, they will increase my pension up to what it should be,

Never any mention on Residency Rights.
I must smile about UK pension increases. While in Australia mine was 18 pence per week, but since I've come back it has been increased gradually to 26 pence per week payable once a year!

However I am able to draw the Australian Age Pension, albeit without Supplements, but unfortunately I'm at the mercy of exchange rates which have lost me £2000 per year over the past two years.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 9:43 am

Exclamation Re: Heading home after 35 years

OK - I've just looked it up on the official UK government website.

There are 6 different types of British Nationality. These are:

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...ality/overview

This is the definition of a British Subject:

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...ritish-subject

It says that British Subjects are usually subject to immigration controls and don't have the automatic right to live or work in the UK (there are only rare exceptions to this) - and also not recognised as a UK National by the European Union (EU)

Perhaps the wife of 'Flying Enterprise' should consider applying for British Citizenship if she is eligible?

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen
Old Nov 15th 2014, 9:49 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
True.

on that point

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...279885/bn3.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/search?q=british+subject

Last edited by not2old; Nov 15th 2014 at 9:52 am.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 11:42 am

Post Re: Heading home after 35 years

I know as I've looked it up already and posted links in post # 24
Old Nov 15th 2014, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Flying Enterprise is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi E M, Yes my wife's passport reads U.K Citizen as she also receives a U.K pension.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 1:02 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I was wrong to say that the term British subject has no meaning in law. Nowadays it still applies to people formerly referred to as 'British subjects without citizenship'' which includes a limited and dwindling group of people from Ireland, Pakistan and India, and anyone born in Ireland before 1949.

So, I suggest it is muddying the waters, rather, to bring it up in relation to ex-pats in SA.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 1:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I was wrong to say that the term British subject has no meaning in law. Nowadays it still applies to people formerly referred to as 'British subjects without citizenship'' which includes a limited and dwindling group of people from Ireland, Pakistan and India, and anyone born in Ireland before 1949.

So, I suggest it is muddying the waters, rather, to bring it up in relation to ex-pats in SA.
unless an expat living in the colones was born in the 'Republic of Ireland' prior to the stated date or as noted in the GOV.UK website

Then there is those covered under the 'Good Friday' agreement ...

All for nort, I agree, lets get back to the OP.

Last edited by not2old; Nov 15th 2014 at 1:56 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 2:21 pm

Smile Re: Heading home after 35 years

Originally Posted by Flying Enterprise
Hi E M, Yes my wife's passport reads U.K Citizen as she also receives a U.K pension.
Aha! So you are golden then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.