Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Heading home after 35 years

Heading home after 35 years

Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Brittwit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heading home after 35 years

Decided on the spur of the moment to get tickets for the QM2 next week and head back to the UK after 35 years in the USA.

Managed to sell everything up this past week and shipped some stuff back, but basically starting over again when we get there.

Crazy? probably, but life is an adventure anyway.

It has been interesting to read some of the stories about folks moving back and we have learned a lot about their experiences and some of the pitfalls that they have encountered.

Stay tuned for updates...................................
Old Nov 12th 2014, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading home after 35 years

Ah a spur of the moment kinda guy - that's the way we've catapulted through life and so far so good! Hope it all works out really well for you!
Old Nov 12th 2014, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Flying Enterprise is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Heading home after 35 years

Originally Posted by Brittwit
Decided on the spur of the moment to get tickets for the QM2 next week and head back to the UK after 35 years in the USA.

Managed to sell everything up this past week and shipped some stuff back, but basically starting over again when we get there.

Crazy? probably, but life is an adventure anyway.

It has been interesting to read some of the stories about folks moving back and we have learned a lot about their experiences and some of the pitfalls that they have encountered.

Stay tuned for updates...................................
That takes Guts!! We have also been in Southern Africa for about the same time and thinking about returning, just the availability of suitable rental property in the U.K.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Mary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Flying Ent... I have been in South Africa for the past 31 years and am heading back to UK in the new year. There are rental properties to be had, but looking what you get for your pounds is scary when you look at what we have had for our Rand... but I accept that I am not going to have in the UK what I have had in SA.... well not without winning the UK lotto a couple of times over. I am trying not to convert every pound into a Rand (not easy I know), but am going to embrace my decision and the adventure ahead with as much positiveness as possible.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 4:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, that was super fast & you did all that within one month?

Good luck to you

Last edited by not2old; Nov 12th 2014 at 4:21 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Mary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond repute

Its amazing what you can do in lightening speed. I would have thought that selling the house would have taken the longest, but less than three weeks on the market and poof... sold. What takes the longest time is getting everything done to lodge at the deeds office but that is almost done, in just under 6 weeks. Lordy help me once the transfer is done, cos then we have to move out the house and we are still 4 passports and 4 visitor visas short hehehe. Holding on to my five man tent until the very last moment cos I may be needing it!!!!! now, how to get 4 adults a 2 year old and a 3 month old into a five man tent..???
Old Nov 12th 2014, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Brittwit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
Ah a spur of the moment kinda guy - that's the way we've catapulted through life and so far so good! Hope it all works out really well for you!
Thanks, already had the passports, keep them renewed all this time so no worries there.

Sold everything within a week, amazing what you can do when you really want to do it.

Probably didn't get as much for the cars as we would like but hey, its done and we have cash in hand now.

Now, how to fit what's left of 35 years into 4 suitcases...................
Old Nov 13th 2014, 7:44 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who spent over a year organising our move, after only eight years in Canada, I am in awe. Respect!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

I too stand in awe! Way to go Brittwit, way to go!! Looking forward to hearing about your adventure of returning to the UK.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Britwitt if you ever need a side job consider a relocation service company... Don't know how you managed it, kudos to you!
Old Nov 14th 2014, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Noordhang is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also returning to the UK in March next year after 35 years in South Africa. British born and bred, always had a British [now EU!] passport. I received a scary email yesterday telling me that a friend of a friend, who also had lived here about 30 years, arrived back in the UK on a one-way ticket [as will I] and was told he now had no residency rights and the authorities put him on a plane back to South Africa. Could this be possible? I am now very worried about it. Comments, please/
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:07 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

If he was a British citizen, no it is not possible.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Noordhang is an unknown quantity at this point

But after living so long in another country, am I still a "citizen" ? I know I have a British passport and all that, and I know if it will take 6 months of living in one place in the UK to re-establish residency, and I believe the chap concerned had both a British and a South African passport.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 8:42 am
Was in Canada, now home.

You can't lose citizenship by any length of time out of the country. You can't have a British passport without being a citizen. If you are a citizen you have the right to reside in the UK.

That's it! The man you've heard of either isn't a British citizen or wasn't told he had no right to reside in the UK. If he also has a SA passport, that is irrelevant, unless he was stupid enough to only use his SA passport to try to enter the UK and not his British one.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Flying Enterprise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noordhang
I am also returning to the UK in March next year after 35 years in South Africa. British born and bred, always had a British [now EU!] passport. I received a scary email yesterday telling me that a friend of a friend, who also had lived here about 30 years, arrived back in the UK on a one-way ticket [as will I] and was told he now had no residency rights and the authorities put him on a plane back to South Africa. Could this be possible? I am now very worried about it. Comments, please/
I don't think that could possible be right, never heard that before!! but will have a look at the ''Net'' as I receive my U.K. Pension here in S.A. they said that when I return, they will increase my pension up to what it should be,

Never any mention on Residency Rights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.