Has anyone used UK NARIC?

Old Nov 14th 2016, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

expat1001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone used UK NARIC?

Hi,

I apologise if someone has already posted this question. I did look but I couldnt find anything on the forum.

I am looking to move back to the UK, I am with my wife in Canada and she is a permanent resident not a citizen.

Looking through the requirements for moving back, I meet the financial requirements both here (have been working for more than 6 months) and for the UK(I have a job offer letter from the company in the UK). Both over 18,600.

The part we are stuck on is the knowledge of English, because she is not a Canadian citizen she does not get an exemption however, she did study at a university in Canada.

The requirements state:
"Alternatively, you can give evidence that you have an academic qualification that both:

was taught or researched in English
is recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to a bachelor’s or master’s degree or PhD"

There are 2 options on the UK NARIC website, one is statement of comparability and other is English language assessment.

My question:
Has anyone used this service and which one did you choose?

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to give my situation clearly.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 2:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone used UK NARIC?

Originally Posted by expat1001
Hi,

I apologise if someone has already posted this question. I did look but I couldnt find anything on the forum.

I am looking to move back to the UK, I am with my wife in Canada and she is a permanent resident not a citizen.

Looking through the requirements for moving back, I meet the financial requirements both here (have been working for more than 6 months) and for the UK(I have a job offer letter from the company in the UK). Both over 18,600.

The part we are stuck on is the knowledge of English, because she is not a Canadian citizen she does not get an exemption however, she did study at a university in Canada.

The requirements state:
"Alternatively, you can give evidence that you have an academic qualification that both:

is recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to a bachelor’s or master’s degree or PhD"

There are 2 options on the UK NARIC website, one is statement of comparability and other is English language assessment.

My question:

What did she study, at which university and what degree did she obtain?
Old Nov 14th 2016, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What did she study, at which university and what degree did she obtain?
She studied at university of Toronto and received a bachelor of science degree in actuarial science.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 2:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

She studied at university of Toronto and received a bachelor of science degree in actuarial science.
She should be exempt then although it's no big deal to do the language test.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

She should be exempt then although it's no big deal to do the language test.
Thanks for your answer.

The test is not a big deal, but I can apply to just get a certificate from NARIC UK which will take less time and is a lot easier.

Just unsure on which one I need to apply for.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:13 pm
Born again atheist

Thanks for your answer.

The test is not a big deal, but I can apply to just get a certificate from NARIC UK which will take less time and is a lot easier.

Just unsure on which one I need to apply for.
I've never done this but since you want her English language ability to be assessed I'd imagine you should apply for an English Language Assessment.

Edit: link added https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/Individuals/FAQs.aspx

Last edited by Novocastrian; Nov 14th 2016 at 3:18 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

I've never done this but since you want her English language ability to be assessed I'd imagine you should apply for an English Language Assessment.

Edit: link added https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/Individuals/FAQs.aspx
This is the confusing part because if you read the wording of the requirements it says: "is recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to a bachelor’s or master’s degree or PhD"

Which makes me think its the statement of comparability.

Heres the link to the visa: https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk...dge-of-english

I called the UK visa and immigration help line but they were a waste of time. That person didnt know.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

The requirements state:

You are being asked for two pieces of evidence.

The first is what evidence do you have concerning the degree being "taught or researched in English"? There are probably several possibilities for that including the syllabus in English; any coursework in English; the degree certificate in English. My recollection from my (US) wife doing this many years ago was that they were satisfied with her degree certificate being in English and a reference provided by her college in English also.

The second part concerns the equivalence of your wife's degree, so surely you are needing the UK NARIC "statement of comparability".
Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:04 am
Born again atheist

This is the confusing part because if you read the wording of the requirements it says: "is recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to a bachelor’s or master’s degree or PhD"

Which makes me think its the statement of comparability.

Heres the link to the visa: https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk...dge-of-english

I called the UK visa and immigration help line but they were a waste of time. That person didnt know.
From the FAQ in the link to the NARIC site...

2. What is the difference between a Statement of Comparability and English Language Assessment?

The UK NARIC Statement of Comparability is an officially recognised document that confirms the recognition of an overseas qualification and its comparable level in the UK, irrespective of it being an academic, vocational or professional award. It does not contain any information on the medium of instruction.

The English Language Assessment assesses whether an individual's English language proficiency is equivalent to CEFR level A1, B1, B2 or C1, based on completion of an English language test or academic qualifications taught in English. This service comments only on English proficiency and does not include information on the comparable level of the award.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

The requirements state:

My question:

Hi,

We did for our oldest son when we lived in Australia, we contacted Naric, filled in the forms, sent the info off and his results were converted to the UK education system and his qualifications were deemed similar to the Scottish qualifications ie similar to an A level, we had the letter to show this and then applied while in Australia to the Universities in the U.K which accepted these qualifications and he was offered places at a couple of Unis. Good luck
Old Nov 17th 2016, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for the information and help.

Hopefully gov visa process will be smoother.

Just a side question, we are looking to apply asap and move early next year. Do you know how long they give to enter the UK once the visa has been issued? Or if there is a question around when you plan to enter the UK?

Thanks again.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I had my US degrees evaluated. I have a statement from NARIC which shows my US degrees and their UK equivalency. The process was relatively quick and painless.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 8:53 am
Just Joined

amittal89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi,

We did for our oldest son when we lived in Australia, we contacted Naric, filled in the forms, sent the info off and his results were converted to the UK education system and his qualifications were deemed similar to the Scottish qualifications ie similar to an A level, we had the letter to show this and then applied while in Australia to the Universities in the U.K which accepted these qualifications and he was offered places at a couple of Unis. Good luck
Hi guys,

Just wanted a quick help.
I am also applying to NARIC for English language Asssement. Just wanetd to know, did they mention that the degree meets CEFR level C1 requirement.

It is on the website, that they wont evaluate anything moe or less than c1.

that makes me a bit worried.

Thanks
Old Dec 5th 2016, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by amittal89
Hi guys,

Just wanted a quick help.
I am also applying to NARIC for English language Asssement. Just wanetd to know, did they mention that the degree meets CEFR level C1 requirement.

It is on the website, that they wont evaluate anything moe or less than c1.

that makes me a bit worried.

Thanks
Hi,

We applied for both statement of comparability and ELA. My spouses ELA shows level C1.

Where on the website did it mention they wont evaluate anything more or less than a C1?