Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Has anyone done US to UK with dog and/or cat recently?

Has anyone done US to UK with dog and/or cat recently?

Old Oct 21st 2017, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Has anyone done US to UK with dog and/or cat recently?

We're moving back next month and are transporting our dog and two cats. I figured I had my ducks in a row with this, but then a visit to the vet today to get their vaccinations made me start to doubt myself (because they were pretty useless about knowing anything).

Has anyone done this journey without using a professional pet mover recently? Need to ask some questions. I wanted to use a professional but its close to $6/$7k and I just can't do it. I've navigated both the US and the UK immigration system successfully, as well as planning an international move, so I figure I can handle this.

Thanks!
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Yogibear1961 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone done US to UK with dog and/or cat recently?

Hi we moved back three years ago from Los Angeles CA and did all this ourselves. You have to find a vet whom is APHIS (Animal and plant health inspection services)
Our vet was one they are in Thousand Oaks so was not far from us, they did the health certificates and paper work. You have to make sure they are unto date on their rabies, if not get it done as their is a waiting time between, also they have to have other injections, it's all on the paperwork and the vet lets you know what ones need doing and when. One for worms and parisites had to be done ten days before flying.
The cost is vet fees, ours was €76 for two dogs as most was up to date. The APHIS was in Los Angeles and we went to the office and filed their they check paperwork and let you know where it was correct or not (our vet forgot to sign it, so had to go back) but if correct they stamp in and at that time it cost €38. We booked through BA and you fill out a C5 customs form. This was the most expensive part as they go on weight of pet plus size of crates. We had a Shih Tzu and a border collie and paid €2,500.
The paperwork is detailed and can be done by yourself. Their are other airlines that take your animals but at that time BA was the only one who would take the Shih Tzu as he has a short nose most airlines don't take them.
The process takes a little time to do, but I had left work a month before to allow for packing and travelling to vets.
Everything went smoothly the dogs went on a flight before us, as my husband wanted to travel on the new 380 Airbus and the dogs kennel was too big for their cargo hold. The only wait was back in UK at Heathrow as the vet had forgotten to put the name of the rabies product on the health form just the product serial number, but a call to the vet and they faxed it straight away.
So you can do it all yourself if you have time.

Last edited by Yogibear1961; Oct 23rd 2017 at 10:33 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

This is great info, thank you.

Did you fill out the customs form ahead of time? Or when you dropped the animals off the day of travel?
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Also - can you tell me what you bought in terms of what you attached to the crate for food/water? I'm trying to figure that part out.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 6:44 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Me and my other half are planning to move back with 3 cats. We got a quote for the 3 for about $1850 CAD. It's possible to shop around and find a better deal for transit. Our quote is for importation from Toronto, arriving in Manchester via Air Transat.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

pammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
Me and my other half are planning to move back with 3 cats. We got a quote for the 3 for about $1850 CAD. It's possible to shop around and find a better deal for transit. Our quote is for importation from Toronto, arriving in Manchester via Air Transat.
Hello

Which company are you using and when are you flying, I thought there were cut off dates from canada?

I am trying to get my dog to scotland and getting no where
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 3:24 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Cut off dates look to only apply for Air Canada cargo. The quote we received was for travel with Transat, who don't have the same outside temperature requirements of Air Canada.