Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Habitual Residency, Bank Accounts and Driving License

Habitual Residency, Bank Accounts and Driving License

Old Aug 13th 2015, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Habitual Residency, Bank Accounts and Driving License

Originally Posted by the1mag
I got a certified copy of my passport from a local lawyer, called a few first to check prices and ending up paying £5. I actually got a few copies at the same time in case I needed them and each one was a little cheaper that way.

If you're a UK resident you can drive on an overseas license for a year so that will give you time to get your UK license info.
Got some copies yesterday from the local solicitor. Thanks for suggesting that.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You can work before getting your NI number. Both my boys did. they were taxed a bit higher and claimed it back after it was all sorted. They used their passports as proof of citizenship and eligibility to work in the UK.
Great news, Mummy! Thank you!

Application for NI number is going out this morning.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebs
No - you can work while you are waiting for your NI number - https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
Thanks, Rebs!
Old Aug 13th 2015, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Presumably you do have a National Insurance number but you can't remember it? I hope you mean you'll be waiting for your old number to be given to you as applying for a new one is not a good idea as it'll discount any NI contributions you have already made.

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

Once you have your NI number you can then look up your driving licence number and renew your driving licence.
Yes, that's it. I do have one but have lost it. I am sending the form off today with some backup info they requested on the phone. It seems its going to take a number of weeks according to HMRC, though.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I knwo you've been told several times that you can work without an NI number. the worst that will happen is that they will tax you at emergency tax rate, and then sort it out later and refund you the difference.

And yes, the police are well aware that you can drive on an American licence.

You are looking for problems where they don't exist......
I'm sorry to have to agree with this.

Windsong, I "get" that you are a "worrier"/over-thinker by nature (at least from your posts here), but PLEASE, take a deep breath, a step back, have a nice cup of tea & TRY to relax...
Old Aug 14th 2015, 1:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I knwo you've been told several times that you can work without an NI number. the worst that will happen is that they will tax you at emergency tax rate, and then sort it out later and refund you the difference.

And yes, the police are well aware that you can drive on an American licence.

You are looking for problems where they don't exist......
I would tend to agree .
Old Aug 14th 2015, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not looking for problems at all. Simply inquiring about various aspects to ensure I have all possibilities covered.

Anyway, I have this all under control now.

Even registered with a doctor today.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Not looking for problems at all. Simply inquiring about various aspects to ensure I have all possibilities covered.

Anyway, I have this all under control now.

Even registered with a doctor today.
Jolly good
Old Sep 9th 2015, 11:42 am
Just Joined

venuslary is an unknown quantity at this point

DVLA
you do not need a NI number to track your old license.
i had the same problem, expired in 2011 so did not bother until i returned and all i needed to give them was the last address on the license and DOB, photo, passport number on the D1 form. cost £20. new photocard license on the way now.

NI number
call the NI line and see if they can track it. if not it is easier and faster to have a new one. just apply on the phone and you will have to attend an interview at the local job center.

I am going through both these currently, although the wait on the phone can be really annoying no problems what so ever.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by venuslary
DVLA
you do not need a NI number to track your old license.
i had the same problem, expired in 2011 so did not bother until i returned and all i needed to give them was the last address on the license and DOB, photo, passport number on the D1 form. cost £20. new photocard license on the way now.

NI number
call the NI line and see if they can track it. if not it is easier and faster to have a new one. just apply on the phone and you will have to attend an interview at the local job center.

I am going through both these currently, although the wait on the phone can be really annoying no problems what so ever.
My new photocard driving license was free of charge. Maybe the difference was that I left back in the days before they had the photocard (1991)?
Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

venuslary is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
My new photocard driving license was free of charge. Maybe the difference was that I left back in the days before they had the photocard (1991)?
I think the difference is OP and I both have lost it.
regular renewal is still free as far as i know.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the difference is OP and I both have lost it.
regular renewal is still free as far as i know.
OK, sorry, I missed that.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 7:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

NI number
Bear in mind if you go ahead and get a new NINO then any previous NI contributions you have made won't be counted towards your state pension.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by the1mag
Housing benefit is only available if you have less than £16,000 total in all bank accounts including overseas, and you have to provide bank statements/proof of income. Pension credit is income based and again bank statements/proof of income are required.

Tesco has a credit card called the Foundation Card which is the only one I could get after I arrived back here in September (even though my credit record in Canada was impeccable) and was in my own flat with a lease, on the electoral roll, etc etc. "If you're new to credit cards or want to help build your credit rating then this could be the card for you", see Foundation Clubcard Credit Card - Credit Cards - Tesco Bank
I have applied to be on the electoral roll, although I understand the new one isn't published until December 1. I have the council tax and a lease in my name and the other bills are being moved one by one into my name now that I have a bank account. I'd like to apply for that Tesco card but I assume you need a job first.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Regarding credit cards, I'd look at secured ones, if one's objective is to build a credit rating from scratch, *after* asking one's bank for advice/help.

This site has a useful eligibility calculator, & advice on getting a credit card with no/a bad credit rating.
Credit Cards: Find the best credit card deals - Money Saving Expert

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.