Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Habitual Residency, Bank Accounts and Driving License

Habitual Residency, Bank Accounts and Driving License

Old Aug 5th 2015, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Habitual Residency, Bank Accounts and Driving License

It appears that opening a simple current account in the UK can be quite a complex process. I haven't gone through the process yet because I like to ask lots of questions first to understand how things work. I called Nationwide this morning and they said I have to declare whether or not I am a U.S. citizen (FACTA). I was told all banks ask this so no problem there. Then she said they would need my last three addresses in the USA to plug into their system which would then spit out what kind of account they could offer me. Is she serious?? What on earth do my last three addresses in the USA have to do with what sort of account they could offer me in the UK? I asked this question and she couldn't give me an answer. She said she doubted anyone in the bank could tell me how it all works because it's computer driven. At this point I have given no information at all and merely inquired about opening an account.

What exactly does this "system" do and why does it need my last three USA addresses? This is supposed to be a UK bank. Are they trying to check U.S. Credit rating? I thought banks here were not concerned about that. Maybe they are doing something else but I would like to know how this all works before I open an account.

Last edited by windsong; Aug 5th 2015 at 9:35 am.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 9:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
It appears that opening a simple current account in the UK can be quite a complex process. I haven't gone through the process yet because I like to ask lots of questions first to understand how things work. I called Nationwide this morning and they said I have to declare whether or not I am a U.S. citizen (FACTA). I was told all banks ask this so no problem there. Then she said they would need my last three addresses in the USA to plug into their system which would then spit out what kind of account they could offer me. Is she serious?? What on earth do my last three addresses in the USA have to do with what sort of account they could offer me in the UK? I asked this question and she couldn't give me an answer. She said she doubted anyone in the bank could tell me how it all works because it's computer driven. At this point I have given no information at all and merely inquired about opening an account.

What exactly does this "system" do and why does it need my last three USA addresses? This is supposed to be a UK bank. Are they trying to check U.S. Credit rating? I thought banks here were not concerned about that. Maybe they are doing something else but I would like to know how this all works before I open an account.
Unfortunately that's the price you pay for being a US citizen. Uncle Sam has his nose in all your finances...even if you are overseas. Land of the Free indeed.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Unfortunately that's the price you pay for being a US citizen. Uncle Sam has his nose in all your finances...even if you are overseas. Land of the Free indeed.
FACTA is Uncle Sam, yes, but the requirement of the three addresses is the bank itself. I called NatWest and apparently they don't need all that info.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 10:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

FACTA is Uncle Sam, yes, but the requirement of the three addresses is the bank itself. I called NatWest and apparently they don't need all that info.
Most banks will ask for previous addresses. If those addresses happen to be outside the UK they won't be able to do a complete UK credit check, which may limit the accounts they can offer. A UK credit check relies partly on checking out the addresses at which you have lived.
This is in addition to the US banking/tax issues that Jerseygirl mentioned.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Most banks will ask for previous addresses. If those addresses happen to be outside the UK they won't be able to do a complete UK credit check, which may limit the accounts they can offer. A UK credit check relies partly on checking out the addresses at which you have lived.
+1.

I do think you might find the process more straightforward if you actually go into a branch and talk to a real live human being, rather than trying to get all the answers from a call centre.

I don't see how providing the last three U.S. Addresses would cause problems.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

When you consider that British and other foreign banks have been fined billions of dollars in the US for providing banking services to organizations and individuals that might be deemed to have some terrorist affiliations, and also been subject in the US to lawsuits from individuals harmed by Hamas, Hezbollah etc., you'll appreciate that British banks need to take some reasonable steps to assure themselves that a new applicant for an account doesn't have terrorist affiliations.

This is in addition to FATCA and other bs about possible tax evasion...
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
When you consider that British and other foreign banks have been fined billions of dollars in the US for providing banking services to organizations and individuals that might be deemed to have some terrorist affiliations, and also been subject in the US to lawsuits from individuals harmed by Hamas, Hezbollah etc., you'll appreciate that British banks need to take some reasonable steps to assure themselves that a new applicant for an account doesn't have terrorist affiliations.
Yep. I had those questions when I added my name to Scouse's UK bank account - I understood the reasons for the questions and it's no skin off my nose to answer them.

Same as when we bought the house - had to disclose the source of the funds to OzForex, then the solicitor who acted for us, then the bank before they transferred the funds to the solicitor. Again, I was happy to provide this information - I probably would have been less happy if I had something to hide, which comes back to the point of them asking!
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Opening a UK bank account is something I haven't really attempted to do yet. My wife and I have accounts in the Isle of Man, including a current account at Lloyds. So we went into a Lloyds branch here, and asked if we could transfer our IoM account to the UK. The simple answer... NO. So we're sticking with the IoM account for the time being, but just wondering if the good folks at Lloyds in the IoM notice eventually that the usage pattern of our account shows that we actually live in the UK now, and want to shut us down.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

As I stated in my post number 21 above, I am trying to start my credit rating anew in the UK. I am concerned that having to give US addresses will merge my US credit rating with the UK.

As it turned out NatWest doesn't need American addresses but does need to see the council tax bill in my name which is in the process of being converted. That, along with my signed lease and passport are supposed to be sufficient. This is what the agent told me when I met with him. However, who knows what they will ask when I go back in with the council tax documentation to actually open an account.

Perhaps I should give them one address in America, the old British address on my UK licence (which I am now replacing since I lost it) and my original address in Scotland.

Last edited by windsong; Aug 8th 2015 at 7:26 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 8:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As I stated in my post number 21 above, I am trying to start my credit rating anew in the UK. I am concerned that having to give US addresses will merge my US credit rating with the UK.

As it turned out NatWest doesn't need American addresses but does need to see the council tax bill in my name which is in the process of being converted. That, along with my signed lease and passport are supposed to be sufficient. This is what the agent told me when I met with him. However, who knows what they will ask when I go back in with the council tax documentation to actually open an account.

Perhaps I should give them one address in America, the old British address on my UK licence (which I am now replacing since I lost it) and my original address in Scotland.
UK credit ratings only apply in the UK. they can't/won't be merged. Most people post that they would like to bring their ratings home but they can't, they have to start again.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

UK credit ratings only apply in the UK. they can't/won't be merged. Most people post that they would like to bring their ratings home but they can't, they have to start again.
So that means then that even if I did have to provide three USA addresses my USA credit would not be visible in the UK? If so, that's good news. The last five years in the Midwest was a nightmare, before I moved to another state, that is.

What is the best way to begin to build credit in the UK? I do have a signed legal lease. I am looking for a job but have only been here three weeks so far.

I called the Citizens Advice Bureau last week about a number of things, basically to ask questions about how various things work here. They asked if I was working yet and I said no. Then upon telling them I was over 60 - which they asked - they advised me to apply for pension credit of £151 a week and housing benefit of around £80 a week. I couldn't believe my ears and asked them if they were joking. They weren't. Seriously, I couldn't believe it. But now after thinking about it, I wonder if I should. I am presently paying all bills out of my own funds.

If I were to apply for this, would the landlord find out? My main aim is to have crystal credit so I am also a bit concerned that this benefit might affect it. If it would, I wouldn't even consider it.

I think what stunned me the most is that she told me it is my right and it is in such contrast to the USA!

I am job hunting but it's early days yet.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 6:06 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

So that means then that even if I did have to provide three USA addresses my USA credit would not be visible in the UK? If so, that's good news. The last five years in the Midwest was a nightmare, before I moved to another state, that is.

What is the best way to begin to build credit in the UK? I do have a signed legal lease. I am looking for a job but have only been here three weeks so far.

I called the Citizens Advice Bureau last week about a number of things, basically to ask questions about how various things work here. They asked if I was working yet and I said no. Then upon telling them I was over 60 - which they asked - they advised me to apply for pension credit of £151 a week and housing benefit of around £80 a week. I couldn't believe my ears and asked them if they were joking. They weren't. Seriously, I couldn't believe it. But now after thinking about it, I wonder if I should. I am presently paying all bills out of my own funds.

If I were to apply for this, would the landlord find out? My main aim is to have crystal credit so I am also a bit concerned that this benefit might affect it. If it would, I wouldn't even consider it.

I think what stunned me the most is that she told me it is my right and it is in such contrast to the USA!

Benefits will not affect your credit rating in any way, the first thing to start your credit rating moving is getting on the electoral roll, I would claim all the benefits you are entitled to, we did when we moved back from Spain, got council tax and housing benefit. It's the non UK citizens who are unable to a[pply for these as soon as they arrive.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Benefits will not affect your credit rating in any way, the first thing to start your credit rating moving is getting on the electoral roll, I would claim all the benefits you are entitled to, we did when we moved back from Spain, got council tax and housing benefit. It's the non UK citizens who are unable to a[pply for these as soon as they arrive.
+1.

& why on earth do you think it would matter to your landlord?
Old Aug 9th 2015, 3:55 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You will be asked where you want the benefit, in the case of housing benefit, paid to, just say yourself and give your bank account details.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

Housing benefit is only available if you have less than £16,000 total in all bank accounts including overseas, and you have to provide bank statements/proof of income. Pension credit is income based and again bank statements/proof of income are required.

Tesco has a credit card called the Foundation Card which is the only one I could get after I arrived back here in September (even though my credit record in Canada was impeccable) and was in my own flat with a lease, on the electoral roll, etc etc. "If you're new to credit cards or want to help build your credit rating then this could be the card for you", see http://www.tescobank.com/credit-card...ion/index.html

Last edited by the1mag; Aug 10th 2015 at 3:40 am. Reason: correction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.