Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Habitual Residency, Bank Accounts and Driving License

Habitual Residency, Bank Accounts and Driving License

Old Jul 30th 2015, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Habitual Residency, Bank Accounts and Driving License

Originally Posted by Shirtback
You have partially answered your own question .

Also, Mikemike gave you a useful link to retrieve the details of your DL (if you know your NI #) Did you check?
I don't know my NI number. I haven't signed up with a doctor yet. I am hoping he will be able to find it. I know the address it would have been listed under. Maybe when I get my NI number I can find my driver's licence number.

I am also a bit concerned that listing three former American addresses on the D1 form might stop me getting a driver's licence because it will be obvious I have been gone for a while. However, if my previous UK licence was valid until I am 70, then perhaps it won't make any difference.

By the way, what happens after 70? Do you have to renew every year?
Old Jul 30th 2015, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I made sure to get my new British photocard driving licence before registering with a GP. The driving licence satisfied the GP because it has your photo plus your current address, showing that you live in their catchment area.
That's good to know.

I have found that I can open a bank account with only my signed apartment lease. I was surprised.

Local library accepted only the lease, too.

I haven't tried signing up with a doctor yet, though.

The landlord is paying the utilities and I am reimbursing him for the first month until I get settled. After that, I will have them put in my name. This gave me a bit of breathing space initially.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Look up your driving licence number here. You'll probably need to enter your last UK address not your current address.

https://www.viewdrivingrecord.servic...rsonal-details

For up to a year but since you already hold a valid UK licence there's little point in doing this. You should just exchange your US licence for a new UK photocard.

Form D1 only asks you for your current address.
Thank you, BritinParis. Not sure why the web site stated three addresses but if it is just one, I can use my current address. I tried finding my driver's license number at the link you gave me. I had all the details except the NI number and it wouldn't let me go any further. Hopefully, that won't be an issue when the DVLA receives the completed D1. I am sure they will be able to find my records even without the NI number. It shouldn't be that difficult.

The local post office has the D1 form already printed and I can apparently get my photo taken right there. Very handy!
Old Jul 30th 2015, 2:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Well, public libraries don't care. In Norfolk, for instance, visitors just there on holiday can get a public library membership valid for a year. The reason is, libraries' success is measured in circulation of books and other usage stats, and funding, staffing etc. flows from usage stats. So they want you and need you!
Old Jul 30th 2015, 3:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Well, public libraries don't care. In Norfolk, for instance, visitors just there on holiday can get a public library membership valid for a year. The reason is, libraries' success is measured in circulation of books and other usage stats, and funding, staffing etc. flows from usage stats. So they want you and need you!
Yep. I have a Liverpool library membership - just had to fill in a form with my name and my (Australian) address, and they were perfectly happy.

Bank account - Scouse opened a Halifax one with just his British passport - the bank knew he lived in Australia and said it didn't matter. He nominated his brother's address for correspondence (again, the bank knew that), and he does his UK banking online.

We were back in Liverpool recently and I got my name added to the account. Bit of a palaver when they found out that I didn't have one of the visas listed on the application document, but then they decided that the visitor stamp in my passport which stated I was permitted to stay in the country for 6 months was sufficient.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 3:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to know.

I have found that I can open a bank account with only my signed apartment lease. I was surprised.

I haven't tried signing up with a doctor yet, though.

The landlord is paying the utilities and I am reimbursing him for the first month until I get settled. After that, I will have them put in my name. This gave me a bit of breathing space initially.
Doctor should accept your lease as proof of your residency in the UK, and they will be able to sort out your NHS number. Are you on the electoral roll yet? that's certainly one of the things you MUST do, as many places look at that for extra proof of your residency in the UK
Old Jul 30th 2015, 4:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Doctor should accept your lease as proof of your residency in the UK, and they will be able to sort out your NHS number. Are you on the electoral roll yet? that's certainly one of the things you MUST do, as many places look at that for extra proof of your residency in the UK
Agreed. Electoral roll is useful for all kinds of stuff including banking and credit cards.
Windsong, the gp can find out your NHS number, and i'm sure if you contact the NI people they can provide your NI number. I can't get the link cos i'm on a phone thats being temperamental but its easy enough to find. Libraries are easy to sign up with even with just a temporary address, but a Library card is a useful piece of iD. Even people like me that have no driving licence can prove residency, so don't over-think these things. you are living there, its easy to prove that now. Don't let the stress of over-thinking ruin the pleasure of being home.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Agreed. Electoral roll is useful for all kinds of stuff including banking and credit cards.
Windsong, the gp can find out your NHS number, and i'm sure if you contact the NI people they can provide your NI number. I can't get the link cos i'm on a phone thats being temperamental but its easy enough to find. Libraries are easy to sign up with even with just a temporary address, but a Library card is a useful piece of iD. Even people like me that have no driving licence can prove residency, so don't over-think these things. you are living there, its easy to prove that now. Don't let the stress of over-thinking ruin the pleasure of being home.
https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

I have a big feeling of déjà vu about finding a NI #...

I'd also like to emphasise the "don't overthink this" comment.

(You are definitely overthinking your DL none-"problem")
Old Jul 30th 2015, 11:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

One thing at a time. Use the link Shirtback posted to find out your NI number. Then use your NI number to find your driving licence number at the link I posted. This will then allow you to renew your licence without any difficulties.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

I have a big feeling of déjà vu about finding a NI #...

I'd also like to emphasise the "don't overthink this" comment.

(You are definitely overthinking your DL none-"problem")

I *knew* we'd done this before ...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/rover.../#post11302986
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are there any other (other than supposedly NatWest) that exist solely in the UK? I am trying to find banks other than those like HSBC that have US or international affiliation. Surely NatWest is not the only one.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any other (other than supposedly NatWest) that exist solely in the UK? I am trying to find banks other than those like HSBC that have US or international affiliation. Surely NatWest is not the only one.
Nationwide? I don't think they have any international connections?
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The obvious answer is, building societies. Not that many building societies still offer current accounts, but the Nationwide and the Norwich & Peterborough are essentially full service banks, and offer current accounts. There are a few others.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Barclays seems to have a significant international presence. My city (Chicago) has a branch downtown and there's U.S. online banking available.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Another vote for Nationwide. They've been very accommodating to me & mine over the years (as have NatWest).

But why are you so adamant about no U.S./international affiliations??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.