Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Habitual Residency, Bank Accounts and Driving License

Habitual Residency, Bank Accounts and Driving License

Old Jun 20th 2015, 12:08 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Habitual Residency, Bank Accounts and Driving License

mikemike you have a PM from me as well as a post on the Philippine thread
Old Jun 20th 2015, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
mikemike you have a PM from me as well as a post on the Philippine thread
Not too Old, many thanks
Old Jun 20th 2015, 12:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
looks like he actively chose to surrendered his licence which is different from having it lapse
Many people have to hand over their UK DLs when they get a U.S. Or Canadian DL. It usually does not prevent them from getting new DLs when they return to the UK. They give the DVLA their details and hey presto they get a new DL.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 7:04 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our DMV printouts $5 from DMV with us and Swinton insurance used them to get me cheaper car insurance with Avivia Dh has just insured his first car and got a better rate without the 5 years no claims. Also with Aviva and negotiated in the local Swinton office.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 11:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Many people have to hand over their UK DLs when they get a U.S. Or Canadian DL. It usually does not prevent them from getting new DLs when they return to the UK. They give the DVLA their details and hey presto they get a new DL.
I suspect he didn't need to take his test from scratch again, merely apply for a new UK driving licence based on his previous test pass. Instead he was trying to exchange his Nevada state driving licence which isn't possible and then thought he needed to do it from scratch which isn't the same as having to.

Edit: Reading his further posts it sounds like he received some poor and/or confusing advice from the DVLA.

Edit 2: He also doesn't sound like he's particularly switched on. I wouldn't take his experience as gospel.

Last edited by BritInParis; Jun 20th 2015 at 11:24 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
What about NatWest? Will they allow the opening of a bank account? If not, what is necessary to open one?

Re car insurance is it worthwhile getting my USA car insurance history to follow me over there or just ignore it and get new insurance?
I wonder really if NatWest can be considered a UK only bank. I was all set to open an account there and upon inquiry was informed it is owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland. The RBS owns some of the smaller banks in the USA which seems to indicate that NatWest by its link to RBS could be considered international.

After struggling for the last few years in the U.S. I want to start with a clean credit slate which means no international banks.

Are there any other UK-only banks? Perhaps NatWest is safe enough but would like some opinions about that, too.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can apply for a new licence using Form D1 which you can pick up from a Post Office.
Was just about to go and complete D1 form today and then kept reading. Am I correct in reading that I need to know my old driver's license number in order to send in the D1? I do not know it.

Am I able to use my American license to drive here for a while?

I just found this on the website:

You should contact the police if your driving licence is stolen.

To replace your licence you’ll need to:

be a resident of Great Britain (there’s a different service in Northern Ireland)
not be disqualified from driving for any reason
pay £20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
have a valid UK passport or other form of identity
provide addresses where you’ve lived for the last 3 years
Provide your driving licence number and National Insurance number if you know them.

Your photo
DVLA will use an electronic copy of your passport photo for your photocard driving licence if:

your photocard licence is due to expire within 2 years
you have a UK passport
DVLA will tell you if a suitable electronic photo isn’t available. You’ll then need to print a form and send it to them with a new photograph.

You can make sure the photo on your licence is updated by using the photo driving licence renewal service. You need a valid UK passport to do this online.

Looks like I have to give addresses fir the last three years. These are all US addresses. Will that disqualify me from replacing my UK licence?

Last edited by windsong; Jul 29th 2015 at 11:17 am.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Was just about to go and complete D1 form today and then kept reading. Am I correct in reading that I need to know my old driver's license number in order to send in the D1? I do not know it.

be a resident of Great Britain (there’s a different service in Northern Ireland)
Provide your driving licence number and National Insurance number if you know them.

Your photo
DVLA will use an electronic copy of your passport photo for your photocard driving licence if:

you have a UK passport
DVLA will tell you if a suitable electronic photo isn’t available. You’ll then need to print a form and send it to them with a new photograph.

You can make sure the photo on your licence is updated by using the photo driving licence renewal service. You need a valid UK passport to do this online.

Looks like I have to give addresses fir the last three years. These are all US addresses. Will that disqualify me from replacing my UK licence?
You have partially answered your own question .

Also, Mikemike gave you a useful link to retrieve the details of your DL (if you know your NI #) Did you check?
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder really if NatWest can be considered a UK only bank. I was all set to open an account there and upon inquiry was informed it is owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland. The RBS owns some of the smaller banks in the USA which seems to indicate that NatWest by its link to RBS could be considered international.

After struggling for the last few years in the U.S. I want to start with a clean credit slate which means no international banks.

Are there any other UK-only banks? Perhaps NatWest is safe enough but would like some opinions about that, too.
NatWest are one of the biggest banks in the UK, and if they aren't safe then we may as well all start keeping our money under our mattresses
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

We have been with NatWest for many years, keeping the account active while we were abroad. We have had no problems with them and I think having an account with NatWest helped us open an account with HSBC as well, when we returned to the UK last year.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 8:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Look up your driving licence number here. You'll probably need to enter your last UK address not your current address.

https://www.viewdrivingrecord.servic...rsonal-details

For up to a year but since you already hold a valid UK licence there's little point in doing this. You should just exchange your US licence for a new UK photocard.

Your photo

you have a UK passport

Form D1 only asks you for your current address.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

If you move to UK and own your home outright, what papers in addition to passport might be asked for when registering with a doctor/hospital?
Old Jul 30th 2015, 3:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
If you move to UK and own your home outright, what papers in addition to passport might be asked for when registering with a doctor/hospital?
Council tax, utility bill, bank statement, credit card statement...with your name and address on.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Council tax, utility bill, bank statement, credit card statement...with your name and address on.
Very good. Thanks much!
Old Jul 30th 2015, 7:14 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
I made sure to get my new British photocard driving licence before registering with a GP. The driving licence satisfied the GP because it has your photo plus your current address, showing that you live in their catchment area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.