Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Good News Re UK Bank Accounts

Good News Re UK Bank Accounts

Old Sep 12th 2007, 5:15 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good News Re UK Bank Accounts

Following on from my thread the other day aksing for help getting a UK bank account afer being away for so long, i took a trip down to Lloyds TSB today. What a fantastic surprise i got!!
I explained i had no ID other than my passport and one car insurance certificate sent to my daughters address. A very nice lady asked me to take a seat and i would get an interview with one of their managers. Yet another very nice lady came out and ushered me into her office. I admit i gorvelled and complained at how hard i was finding it, trying to just get a basic account just ot pay my wages in. I said that even building societies were refusing me because i didnt have enough ID.
No problem was her reply!! We only require your British passport. Not only have i been granted an account, but a proper bank CURRENT account!! I nearly fell off my chair. An immediate £100 overdraft, free AA breakdown recovery, mobile phone insurance, card protection which even covers my Australian credit cards. She said giving me the current account would help me start a credit score. I am stunned!

Sooo... things arent so bad afterall if you find a helpful branch.

I must add that i showed her NO evidence of my current financial affairs whatsoever, in fact i told her i was brassock until my husband comes over in January. All i had to do was give my address, the name of my new employer and my previous address in Australia. It was all sorted in 10 minutes.

Here is a link to the account i have been offered

http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_acc...nt_account.asp

Hope this helps somebody. I am over the moon as i feel like i am on my way to sorting my new life out and the credit scoring it will give me is a great help.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good News Re UK Bank Accounts

Thanks for the tip FFF I was with the Abby, no money in it but never closed it either, so if that dont work for me upon my return, I'll check out what you suggest.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 10:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Flea.

I'm so glad I kept all my UK accounts...including M&S.

I've kept my daughter's accounts too...hopefully if she wants to return one day it will make life a little easier for her.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 12th 2007 at 11:23 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

gt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nice

Congrats on sorting out a bank account.

The only thing I would suggest is make sure you need the 'free AA breakdown recovery, mobile phone insurance and card protection etc' as the account they gave you has a monthly fee which effectively pays for all these..

If you don't need these, I suggest you ask for one of their fee free accounts.

Regards
Sunil
Old Sep 13th 2007, 1:39 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Fabulous new, Flea! Gives us all hope! (I haven't had credit in the UK for 30 years! )
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:52 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gt94sss2
Congrats on sorting out a bank account.

The only thing I would suggest is make sure you need the 'free AA breakdown recovery, mobile phone insurance and card protection etc' as the account they gave you has a monthly fee which effectively pays for all these..

If you don't need these, I suggest you ask for one of their fee free accounts.

Regards
Sunil

Hi Sunil

Funny you say that, the day before i went to the bank i had bought Tesco breakdown cover as i have bought an old banger car!!. So yes, i do need it and i had to ring Tesco today to cancel theirs. I also had no phone insurance so that is handy. Stupidly i didnt have card protection on my 3 Austraian cards ubt good news is that Lloyds do cover them under their protection scheme, so all in all this deal suited me perfectly.

I forgot to add this yesterday but they also allow Australian and New Zealand passports for ID. So any of you with spouses from there (like mine) it may be a help to you. The manager told me to bring my kiwi husband in as soon as he gets here.

Sara, hope you have a great trip home. I read you are coming for a visit. Enjoy!!