Reload this Page >

going home Is this possible?

going home Is this possible?

Old May 27th 2013, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

nhgeordie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default going home Is this possible?

Hi
If anything should happen to my wife, who is disabled, I was wondering if I need to jump through the hoops I have read about, to go home. I am retired, over sixty, I never took out US Citizenship, I am a legal resident with green card.
My question is If I wish to return, is there anything stopping me going through Immigration on my British Passport, and just staying? I realise it shows my US address, but that would be easily changed.
Old May 27th 2013, 4:40 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: going home Is this possible?

Yes of course you can go back if you are a British Citizen passport holder!

How many years ago did you leave the UK? Just to be on the safe side, I'd strongly suggest that you take out US citizenship in case you decide that you can't settle in England again and want to return to reside in the States.

Here is the info in case you do choose to do so:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00b92ca60aRCRD
Old May 27th 2013, 4:46 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going home Is this possible?

Yes, as Englishmum says, all you need is your British passport.

It's bringing a non-UK, non-EU citizen with you as a family member that causes all the complications & hoops to jump through (new since last July) for some here ....

Last edited by WEBlue; May 27th 2013 at 4:52 pm.