Going Back Next Week

Old Sep 28th 2017, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

PimRoad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Going Back Next Week

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Good luck with Yorkshire. The biggest problem of course will be that its on the wrong side of the Pennines.

We'll be living in Hertfordshire which is a new area for me to discover too.
In the interests of Northern Solidarity, the only 'wrong side of the Pennines' is to the South. Lancs and Yorks are 2 faces of the same coin. I have ancestry on both sides. I like to believe we were with Richard in the Wars of the Roses and with Parliament in the Civil War.

Hertfordshire - lot more expensive property than Up North. You do have the Chilterns to squelch through - when the chalk gets wet, your boots grow three times in volume, and ultimately you get rooted to the spot. I lived for a year in Amersham, on the Bucks side. Not a bad little town, and some nice walking up around Chesham, and to Chalfont and Latimer.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 9:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PimRoad
In the interests of Northern Solidarity, the only 'wrong side of the Pennines' is to the South. Lancs and Yorks are 2 faces of the same coin. I have ancestry on both sides. I like to believe we were with Richard in the Wars of the Roses and with Parliament in the Civil War.

Hertfordshire - lot more expensive property than Up North. You do have the Chilterns to squelch through - when the chalk gets wet, your boots grow three times in volume, and ultimately you get rooted to the spot. I lived for a year in Amersham, on the Bucks side. Not a bad little town, and some nice walking up around Chesham, and to Chalfont and Latimer.
Roald Dahl Museum!
Old Sep 29th 2017, 4:49 am
Just Joined

DeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really niceDeeMB is just really nice

Originally Posted by PimRoad
Brits1: I recently visited some villages/small towns in North Lancashire which were also lovely and really overlooked when people think of Lancashire its usually Blackpool, Cleethorpes etc

I come from Clitheroe. We usually regard this as an extension of the Yorkshire Dales, rather than the other, "dark, satanic" bits of Victorian Lancashire. Clitheroe and the Ribble Valley are secret only because they are hard to get to if you don't have a car. Another reason to move to York .. :>.
I love Clitheroe. My Aunt and uncle had a pub there for years and my cousin went to the grammar school. Great memories.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 9:47 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
We are planning on a visit to Durham and Lindisfarne next April/May its an area we have wanted to visit for many years, it does sound and look like another "northern gem"
Just as a heads up, Durham is open for business as usual but the Abbey on Lindisfarne is closed for major renovations which will take most of next year to complete.

There's plenty more stuff to do up here though.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, always hot and cold water in the public toilets I have visited they even had flushing toilets lol