Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going back after 40 years....advice please

Going back after 40 years....advice please

Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:28 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back after 40 years....advice please

Originally Posted by Jensmate
Thanks for taking the time to reply nun. I have a federal employee TSP 401k. Do you know if there any reason I could not let the funds stay in that account where it is earning well and TSP fees are low to non existent and have the money they dispersal made to the bank account of my choice in the UK?
Ah TSP.....excellent. Leave it there, that's a great plan. As it's a government pension it is taxed slightly differently from a regular 401k. As it is a US government pension and you will be a UK citizen living in the UK it will be taxed in both the US and the UK. You pay the US income tax first and than take a foreign tax credit on your UK taxes.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:51 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willielad
Nun, what exactly do you mean by "non-toxic" and i was thinking of using Fidelity instead of Vanguard as they have a brick and mortar office nearby
The following only applies to money held outside of official retirement and pension accounts.

The IRS and HMRC have rules about owning offshore mutual funds and they will tax them at higher than normal rates if they don't conform to their rules. For the IRS this means that it's very bad to own non US mutual funds as they are taxed as Passive Foreign Investment Company (PFIC) and for HMRC it's bad to own what are known as non-reporting funds. US Vanguard ETFs are both US funds and also HMRC reporting funds so both the IRS and HMRC will be happy and more importantly so will you.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

willielad is an unknown quantity at this point

Nun, Thanks, you have to do everything online with Vanguard, not my strength, while i could set it all up in person with Fidelity and use ETF'S with them aswell as long as i set it up before leaving.As far as you know, will the Fidelity ETF'S work just aswell?
Old Jan 18th 2017, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Ah TSP.....excellent. Leave it there, that's a great plan. As it's a government pension it is taxed slightly differently from a regular 401k. As it is a US government pension and you will be a UK citizen living in the UK it will be taxed in both the US and the UK. You pay the US income tax first and than take a foreign tax credit on your UK taxes.
Thank you. Good to know!
Old Jan 18th 2017, 6:55 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by willielad
Nun, Thanks, you have to do everything online with Vanguard, not my strength, while i could set it all up in person with Fidelity and use ETF'S with them aswell as long as i set it up before leaving.As far as you know, will the Fidelity ETF'S work just aswell?
If you buy US Vanguard ETFs through Fidelity you will be ok. US Fidelity ETFs won't work on the UK side because they are not HMRC reporting funds.......as far as I know.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Another question regarding banking. I have noticed both HSBC and Santander branches here in the U.S. Are either of them truly intenational where a single account functions equally in both countries ?
I'm trying to keep my move planing as financially simple as possible. One account, one source for my 401k, govt pension and Social Sec to be deposited and withdrawn equals happiness come tax time.
Speaking of tax time, I last worked in the UK in 1974 thru 1977 earning a pittance as a Civil Servant....I don't remember ever filing a UK tax return. When are they done? Might I receive a few groats UK pension. I'm not hopeful .....

Last edited by Jensmate; Jan 18th 2017 at 7:05 pm. Reason: Added text
Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

willielad is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your help. Even after 40 years, 38 of those as a citizen, I've never felt like this was home. The U.S. has been a place that has given me a superb education, a great career (two, in fact) and a more than decent standard of living.
But, home is where the heart is and my heart has ways been with my blood family, my dear friends and that quantifiable yet undeniable mix of history, architecture and countryside that whispers "this is where you belong."
It's going to be quite a journey to dismantle a lifetime and rebuild it again on the Kent coast.
This is exactly how we feel and we moved back last May after 29 years away. We retired in 2010 and have pensions, brokerage accounts and IRAs (we rolled our 401ks to IRAs). Advice on taxes from folks like nun has been invaluable.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Another question regarding banking. I have noticed both HSBC and Santander branches here in the U.S. Are either of them truly intenational where a single account functions equally in both countries ?
I'm trying to keep my move planing as financially simple as possible. One account, one source for my 401k, govt pension and Social Sec to be deposited and withdrawn equals happiness come tax time.
Speaking of tax time, I last worked in the UK in 1974 thru 1977 earning a pittance as a Civil Servant....I don't remember ever filing a UK tax return. When are they done? Might I receive a few groats UK pension. I'm not hopeful .....
We opened an HSBC account in the USA before returning as we already had an HSBC account in England. It does require you to have 2 accounts, one in each country, but from either account you can see the balances of all your accounts in UK and US. However, to see transaction level detail or to move money, pay bills etc, you have to be logged onto the country site you want to do the transactions on.

Moving money between the accounts US<>UK is extremely easy and very fast, the money moves within a couple of hours. However it is more expensive than Transferwise for smaller amounts so I use Transferwise more often, such as transferring my pensions, dividends etc. For very large sums (>$100,000) then the rates are much closer so in buying a house this last week I used the HSBC global transfer. (In fact I used the large sum transfer 3 times over this last couple of months when exchange rates looked good).

To move the house money on exchange of contracts in the U.K. was also easy to accomplish from the USA and it felt very secure as the gentleman on the other end of the phone was very thorough in his security questions. This was done from the USA about 3 days before completion because we were back there winding up our affairs, shipping furniture etc, when the house purchase actually went through. We arrived home last Wednesday and walked down to the agent, picked up the keys to the new house and walked over there. It felt really great to be fully home. (We've had a rental house since we moved back in May so not quite as frantic as it may have been - fingers crossed that the freight makes it okay in a few weeks time)
Old Jan 29th 2017, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

TiaMaria57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
We opened an HSBC account in the USA before returning as we already had an HSBC account in England. It does require you to have 2 accounts, one in each country, but from either account you can see the balances of all your accounts in UK and US. However, to see transaction level detail or to move money, pay bills etc, you have to be logged onto the country site you want to do the transactions on.

Moving money between the accounts US<>UK is extremely easy and very fast, the money moves within a couple of hours. However it is more expensive than Transferwise for smaller amounts so I use Transferwise more often, such as transferring my pensions, dividends etc. For very large sums (>$100,000) then the rates are much closer so in buying a house this last week I used the HSBC global transfer. (In fact I used the large sum transfer 3 times over this last couple of months when exchange rates looked good).

To move the house money on exchange of contracts in the U.K. was also easy to accomplish from the USA and it felt very secure as the gentleman on the other end of the phone was very thorough in his security questions. This was done from the USA about 3 days before completion because we were back there winding up our affairs, shipping furniture etc, when the house purchase actually went through. We arrived home last Wednesday and walked down to the agent, picked up the keys to the new house and walked over there. It felt really great to be fully home. (We've had a rental house since we moved back in May so not quite as frantic as it may have been - fingers crossed that the freight makes it okay in a few weeks time)
Really good advice and thank you posting just how you accomplished it. We're planning to do the same this year.....sell the US house, get a US rental, go back to the UK in between to find a house to buy and return to the US to organize the shipping of HHG. I hope everything works out well for you.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TiaMaria57
Really good advice and thank you posting just how you accomplished it. We're planning to do the same this year.....sell the US house, get a US rental, go back to the UK in between to find a house to buy and return to the US to organize the shipping of HHG. I hope everything works out well for you.
...and I wish you all the best on your plans to return.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

...and I wish you all the best on your plans to return.
Thank you for your good wishes Durham_lad. However it's not as easy at our age as it was when we first came over 23 years ago. I'm sure you feel the way same too!
Old Jan 30th 2017, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TiaMaria57
Thank you for your good wishes Durham_lad. However it's not as easy at our age as it was when we first came over 23 years ago. I'm sure you feel the way same too!
Got to admit that it was easier going over in our 30's than coming back in our 60's, but we are now still feeling extremely euphoric being back, even though we have loads to do moving into a new house with all that entails.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Got to admit that it was easier going over in our 30's than coming back in our 60's, but we are now still feeling extremely euphoric being back, even though we have loads to do moving into a new house with all that entails.
So glad you're enjoying your new life. Have fun and just take it easy.